Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Debating on getting a LD player.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I just recently hooked up my CLD-99 to the Lumagen HDQ. It's the oldest and most beloved piece of gear that I own; my first piece of real high end equipment. I'm outputting 1080p/48 800p/72 and 720p/60 (also tried 480p) from the Lumagen and recently watched a CAV box set of Hellraiser around Halloween. The only thing scary was how soft the picture was;-)

The only player that would be worth anytime is the HLD-X9/0 that outputted 1080i. The MUSE LD's were pretty good but the library only consisted of 20-30 titles so it would be a lot to spend on nostalgia.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to post some screen shots from my Ld setup.. I have been playing with double scalers all night, and can say its really clean and sharp now.. No sharpness orŽnoise reduction added..

Right now i'm looking Last man standing.. Normal it looks as described.. SOFT.. and noisy..

Right now its connected like this..
CLD 2950-> Composite-> DVDO VP50->480P 4:3 4:2:2 out -> Hdmi -> Lumagen XS+ -> 1080P LBOX 4:4:4 out ->

So i can recommend a DVDO VP50 for composite to HDMi converter to the Lumagen mini.. And they are almost free these days..

Don't know how or why but the roling text in the end looks much smoother and sharper.. Converting the color space from 422 ro 444 really improve edges specially in the background..

Last edited by stridsvognen on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screenshot Sony Bravia 42" closeup.. Shows display pixel structure..
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CxTurbo wrote:

This is what I have read as well. That is mainly why I was looking for the Elite models and other "Clone" premium brands.

I also have been seeing some Theta LD players that I love the looks of and would consider if the price was right.

As I said earlier my main concern on shipping would be the cost as most of the great players are in or about 70lbs.

All in all this is just for fun and to show the youngins what things were like when I was young Smile

James

That is exactly why I have the outdated formats, they are fun to play with, and a nice history lesson to the new gen people who would think the LD was a supersized CD Very Happy

Nash, I have the outbreak LD, I have not tried it yet (must be a reference LD of choice Smile ) but I will have to have a listen and look! Smile

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stridsvognen wrote:

That is actually really Good. I must say anything over say 65" is not the best for LD but if you have a smaller display
It is cool to still have a LD player. There are those who love history. I must be one of them. Wink

I'll still have to play around with it in my Blend set up. The quich messing around is not great. But i need to set up
special resolutions in the blend for it. I should try 480i into the Lumagen the 960p out to the Tv-ones then its native
Blend set up res I have for everything which ends up being 1080p@96.

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have the original non-molested Star Wars on LD. Sometime I need to compare the two.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEby wrote:
I think I have the original non-molested Star Wars on LD. Sometime I need to compare the two.

Mike

Hmmm I should see if thats attainable on LD somewhere, I honestly dont remember what the major differences are between the unraped and raped versions (but I do remember one or 2 scenes that I know were different from the old vhs tape recording I used to watch Razz

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Nashou66 wrote:
Good info there Jeremy. I agree the sound from a LD is just awesome. I have the Outbreak LD and the BD and I must say the sound from the LD kicks the BD's ass!!!

Guys, guys, guys... Don't get carried with the whole "audio is awesome on LD" idea... At this point, it's a bit of an antiquated notion.

There was an excellent case to be made for LD audio when DVD was the latest/greatest. An LD with an uncompressed PCM track on it was the very best in home video audio reproduction. It was 44.1khz PCM stereo, so exactly like a CD. That was excellent - the best - for the time, especially for special program material like live concerts and music discs. Only thing is, for surround, that was non-discrete matrix-encoded. Meh. If you go to discrete for superior surround steering, then the encoded AC-3 or DTS tracks were no better than what DVD offered.

Athanasios, there may be a problem with the audio on the Outbreak BD - I can't say because I haven't heard it - but there's absolutely no reason - technical or otherwise - that an LD should sound better than a BD. I'd suspect that it's mostly because it's nearly a 20-year old movie, and the superior TrueHD audio format is a bit to revealing. I say this, because in practically any way, the audio on BD should be far superior to that of LD.

In fact, it's not even close. With BD, we have LPCM, DD TrueHD, and DTS-MA - all of which are lossless at 48khz, 96khz, and 192khz sample rates and 16 and 24-bit resolution. This is amazing, as we're now getting what amounts to the same quality and resolution in our distribution format as what they're using in the production pipeline when they're making and mixing the movies! That SMOKES LD!

That said, collecting some LDs (especially cool, unique content, like music video, concerts, etc. that will probably never be re-released on BD) and a couple of the very best LD players would be fun. I would if I had more time and money. For fun, though - not because it holds any technical advantage.

SC

Stop making sense digital boy! Go back and watch your small, noiseless, and attractive JVC.Mr. Green

MikeEby wrote:

Mike

My best friend has one of the LD players that Star Wars was mastered on. His sister in law gave it to him when she was working for THX.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:

My best friend has one of the LD players that Star Wars was mastered on. His sister in law gave it to him when she was working for THX.

So he has a LD burner!!! Now that Is cool if that is in fact what he has. I remember seeing a show on how they made laser disc's.

For those interested, I have I think all the versions of Star wars trilogy ever made, Including the Japan versions( I think been a while since i looked). I also have the Japan version of the Phantom menace on LD.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
Spanky Ham wrote:

So he has a LD burner!!! Now that Is cool if that is in fact what he has. I remember seeing a show on how they made laser disc's.

For those interested, I have I think all the versions of Star wars trilogy ever made, Including the Japan versions( I think been a while since i looked). I also have the Japan version of the Phantom menace on LD.

Athanasios

I don't think it is a burner. I think one of the DVD sets was mastered from LD. I can't remember as it has been so long ago.
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Nashou66 wrote:
Good info there Jeremy. I agree the sound from a LD is just awesome. I have the Outbreak LD and the BD and I must say the sound from the LD kicks the BD's ass!!!

Guys, guys, guys... Don't get carried with the whole "audio is awesome on LD" idea... At this point, it's a bit of an antiquated notion.

There was an excellent case to be made for LD audio when DVD was the latest/greatest. An LD with an uncompressed PCM track on it was the very best in home video audio reproduction. It was 44.1khz PCM stereo, so exactly like a CD. That was excellent - the best - for the time, especially for special program material like live concerts and music discs. Only thing is, for surround, that was non-discrete matrix-encoded. Meh. If you go to discrete for superior surround steering, then the encoded AC-3 or DTS tracks were no better than what DVD offered.

Athanasios, there may be a problem with the audio on the Outbreak BD - I can't say because I haven't heard it - but there's absolutely no reason - technical or otherwise - that an LD should sound better than a BD. I'd suspect that it's mostly because it's nearly a 20-year old movie, and the superior TrueHD audio format is a bit to revealing. I say this, because in practically any way, the audio on BD should be far superior to that of LD.

In fact, it's not even close. With BD, we have LPCM, DD TrueHD, and DTS-MA - all of which are lossless at 48khz, 96khz, and 192khz sample rates and 16 and 24-bit resolution. This is amazing, as we're now getting what amounts to the same quality and resolution in our distribution format as what they're using in the production pipeline when they're making and mixing the movies! That SMOKES LD!

That said, collecting some LDs (especially cool, unique content, like music video, concerts, etc. that will probably never be re-released on BD) and a couple of the very best LD players would be fun. I would if I had more time and money. For fun, though - not because it holds any technical advantage.

SC

Well BD sound is for sure different... I know most people love the BD HD sound for the new plastic SONY wireless surround sound bar.. And a good reason for that, it would turn on fire if feeded with the dynamic output of a LD.

Resolution and high nr, is not always the only thing that matters.. sound compression is removing all live and realism out of sound..

For sure LD soundtrack playback calls for better sound setup.. no matter if you use AC3 DTS or even the analog output from the disc, who actually is my favorite.. If you don't convert it to death in some sh*tty receiver..
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
stridsvognen wrote:

That is actually really Good. I must say anything over say 65" is not the best for LD but if you have a smaller display
It is cool to still have a LD player. There are those who love history. I must be one of them. Wink

I'll still have to play around with it in my Blend set up. The quich messing around is not great. But i need to set up
special resolutions in the blend for it. I should try 480i into the Lumagen the 960p out to the Tv-ones then its native
Blend set up res I have for everything which ends up being 1080p@96.

Nashou

Your right.. size is the big problem with LD.. im trying to find a setup, where i will be able to look a hole LD without thinking the image sucks.. It don't need to be perfect, but kind of neutral.. After all it is the sound of LD that keeps it alive to me.

I don't know how close you are to your screen, IMHO i think closer than 2x screen width, will be hard to live with.

I think its also important to notice the quality differences from 2 of the same LDs.. If i have 2 samples of the same i always select it.. Not just looking the disc.. put it in the player.. Some just deserve a 1 way ticket out the window..
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
Spanky Ham wrote:

Athanasios

Me too. The original widescreen stand alone discs, the Definitive Collection Box set, the Special Edition Box set and TPM Japanese disc. Laserdisc was a wonderful format and is what started the home theater craze.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a Pioneer LD Burner on ebay recently, the guy only wanted $200 for it but no one bought it. My best guess is because... where the hell do you get a blank laserdisc? Laughing

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500, Epson 8100

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

stridsvognen Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:23 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I need to post some screen shots from my Ld setup.. I have been playing with double scalers all night, and can say its really clean and sharp now.. No sharpness orŽnoise reduction added..

Right now i'm looking Last man standing.. Normal it looks as described.. SOFT.. and noisy..

Right now its connected like this..
CLD 2950-> Composite-> DVDO VP50->480P 4:3 4:2:2 out -> Hdmi -> Lumagen XS+ -> 1080P LBOX 4:4:4 out ->

So i can recommend a DVDO VP50 for composite to HDMi converter to the Lumagen mini.. And they are almost free these days..

Don't know how or why but the roling text in the end looks much smoother and sharper.. Converting the color space from 422 ro 444 really improve edges specially in the background..

I should bring out my iScan Ultra, which I modified with SDI output, plug my CLD-09G in, then pass the SDI to XS+.
Might put the LD player back in the rack to play with.
HK-Steve

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500, Epson 8100

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a lot of LD's, mostly Japanese Animation, very cool.
Will have to count them one day.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
I saw a Pioneer LD Burner on ebay recently, the guy only wanted $200 for it but no one bought it. My best guess is because... where the hell do you get a blank laserdisc? Laughing

It sold

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blank-12-Laserdisc-Rare-Recordable-Laserdisc-Unrecorded-/380457238517?pt=US_Laserdisc&hash=item589504bff5&nma=true&si=FqLraXPRRQ7b5A%2BLp%2BRDkQ2BPlk%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Here is a cartridge type re recordable LD player with two Blank Disc's with only 13 hours on it!!!! And only 5k!!!

lol

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-VDR-V1000-Laserdisc-Recorder-/160884936319?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item25757d4e7f

Nashou

One Smart Dog!!!

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
Jeremy112 wrote:

It sold

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blank-12-Laserdisc-Rare-Recordable-Laserdisc-Unrecorded-/380457238517?pt=US_Laserdisc&hash=item589504bff5&nma=true&si=FqLraXPRRQ7b5A%2BLp%2BRDkQ2BPlk%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Here is a cartridge type re recordable LD player with two Blank Disc's with only 13 hours on it!!!! And only 5k!!!

lol

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-VDR-V1000-Laserdisc-Recorder-/160884936319?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item25757d4e7f

Nashou

I'll need a spindle of LD-R's please Very Happy

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the 1980's most GM dealerships had LD players their showrooms for promos and training. I wonder if many of those are still around along with the media for them. AR must have one somewhere in his collection.

I can only imagine all the interior shots with plush crushed velour.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Nashou66 wrote:
Jeremy112 wrote:

It sold

lol

Nashou

I'll need a spindle of LD-R's please Very Happy

5 grand only? Naaaaah I can swing that Razz

In all seriousness, that LD recorder is cool, the other one I saw was way below that price, $200-$500, but the one Nash posted comes with a rewritable LD which makes it actually useful to a point.

I just know there is someone out there with a huge pile of blank LDs and they probably dont even know they are worth anything (or if they even remember having them)

$20 for a blank LD is a steal IMO the guy could have gotten $50 to $100 per disc im sure. The red one looked cool too Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: