Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Debating on getting a LD player.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CxTurbo

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Debating on getting a LD player. Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I am feeling nostalgic and am thinking on starting the hunt for a Pioneer Elite LD-S2,LD-S9,CLD-97,CLD-99 or CLD-D99 Or Runco LD-RJI or LD-RJII.

I have some LD movies and wish to continue to gather more over time.

Thoughts? Waste of time? Should I just keep collecting them and not bother being able to play them.

James

3x Bryston 3B's
URC Complete Control Medius TX-1000 Remote
HTPC (LGA775 Q6600, 8GB DDR2, 7TB Storage) Mediaportal
Lumagen MINI 3D
Moome FULLHD-EXT V2
Audioquest Cable Top to Bottom
9501LC
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the DVL elite 93 and a DVL 909. Both are combi players. I'd try to find a low use one. Mine hardly get used now but I plan to set up a LD DVD only set up with a spare PJ in a Spare room. Why not right? Go for it!!

Wink

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, it's a waste of time... but different things for different people. I don't understand why anyone would want to watch a low quality source that you have to flip in the middle of the movie.

But I guess a lot of people feel CRT is a waste of time too.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 4 LD players. All are broken Sad

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 500+ LD movies.. And its not because i admire the PQ.. But the sound. It can really blow your socks off..

I have never seen the Elite players, i have a broken HLD X9 who crash landed on its way here.. But i'm sure all of the last Pioneer machines are good. And i never seen any defect LD players, who couldn't be fixed with a bit of laser cleaning and a new belt, or a belt cleaning.

Blu ray have 10x better PQ, but 100x more compression to the sound track.. Only problem with LD sound track is that you cant find the right volume..

Lumagen is my preferred LD scaler.. it looks amassing compared to DVDO or other scalers i seen. except for some comb effect that i cant get rid off.

I have these LD players whos working...

MSB Gold
2x Pioneer CLD 925
Pioneer CLD 2950
Denon LA 2300
Denon LA 2700

If possible try a PAL player and a PAL LD movie.. It really looks much better than NTSC LD...

Go for it.. Thumbs Up
CxTurbo

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys.

I know it is an old format and picture quality is lower then BD. I might pick one up just to have to make some use of my collection should I get a reference quality player on the cheap and am feeling old school.

I have an old VCR for the same reason.

James

3x Bryston 3B's
Lumagen MINI 3D
Moome FULLHD-EXT V2
9501LC
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get them from time to time, and most are still running, but they always seem to be the low end ones. I think there are one or two models that put out 480p via component. That's what you'd want to get. I'd always expect something shipped via eBay like this to arrive damaged, so I'd try CL where you can try it before you buy.

I still have T2 and Judas Priest UNleashed in the East on the shelf as test discs. Smile
CxTurbo

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that some of the models I listed weigh in at around 70lbs it would be a local type sale for sure. Shipping would destroy the value of even getting one.
3x Bryston 3B's
Lumagen MINI 3D
Moome FULLHD-EXT V2
9501LC
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i was over there i would look up a CLD 97, it looks like the most solid player. If you just want something cheep to try it out the CLD 925 CLD 2950, or Denon LA2700 is a good start.. They are all with SMPS where the better players are with huge transformers.

The Clamper in a CLD 2950 looks exactly like the one in the HLD X9.

Panasonic machines have a better/ cleaner picture, and more quiet operation. But the sound output from the Panasonic sucks big time.

My MSB Gold is a moddet Panasonic, and Denons LA 3500 is a Panasonic.

I have always used the composite video output, and i never seen one with component outputs, except those DVD LD combo players.

And doubt that they have deinterlacing worth using.

How did you intend to use it..? with Projector or a tv set.? Putting LD up on the big screen calls for the best deinterlacing and scaling, or you will for sure not finish the film.. Very Happy
CxTurbo

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be using it in my theater on my projector no doubt.

I have a Lumagen Mini as well as a Runco processor that was part of the IDP-900 package I picked up several years ago. Regardless I am not in a hurry so should I find one of those rarer reference devices I just might jump on it. If not, no big deal.

Looks as though the going rate on Videogon for some of the aforementioned Runco,Theta,McIntosh or to end Elites are running upwards of $1,000 dollars at the moment so it very well may never happen.

3x Bryston 3B's
Lumagen MINI 3D
Moome FULLHD-EXT V2
9501LC
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If everything fails, the LD covers can be used as decoration in your HT. Cool

Is there any high quality converter that do composite to HDMI, so it can be used with the Lumagen mini.?

Next time i get my setup up running i want to try both my DVDO VP50 and my Lumagen XS+.

Want the DVDO to handel the deinterlacing.. And the Lumagen handels the scaling.

Unless there is a software update for the lumagen that handels the comb effect i cant get under control.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stridsvognen wrote:

Is there any high quality converter that do composite to HDMI, so it can be used with the Lumagen mini.?

Next time i get my setup up running i want to try both my DVDO VP50 and my Lumagen XS+.

Want the DVDO to handel the deinterlacing.. And the Lumagen handels the scaling.

Unless there is a software update for the lumagen that handels the comb effect i cant get under control.

You need a lumagen HDQ or HDP for the LAD player then output that to the Radiance.

The Vision series did excellent SD conversion especially on LD's

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
stridsvognen wrote:

You need a lumagen HDQ or HDP for the LAD player then output that to the Radiance.

The Vision series did excellent SD conversion especially on LD's

Athanasios

Ill try post the problem in the lumagen forum.. and see if there is a fix for it.. just upgraded to last firmware, same comb effect even IMFD is adjusted all down to 0.

DVDO do perfect deinterlacing, never seen any comb effect there. But they have lots of ringing on the scaling..

If i could find my PS to the DVDO it would already be connected..

I'm not sure if its best to input 480P into the lumagen, or 1080i into DVDO.. Time will show..
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had 2 pioneer elite LD players for a while, I recently sold off my CLD-59 because it wasnt a top end model and becaue it got damaged in shipping (amazing it still worked at all considering there was NO packaging in the box)

I recently picked up a Pioneer Elite DVL-91, and though it is a hefty player, the video quality on it is a bit below my standards for low def material, but the audio quality everytime gets me. I use the Coaxial digital out with AC-3 decoding and for stereo sound, I think even a record could have a run for the money.

If you are dead serious about a laserdisc player, ebay is an excellent source. I know there are many who are weary of shipping these units. You have to look out for ones that require transit screws. A lot of the time most of the people selling these LD units dont think about that, and if their unit has a need for a transit screw, it WILL get damaged.

If you buy a unit that does not need a transit screw, as long as it is packaged well, it will be just fine. I have not had any issues with the few LD units I have sold, because they are packaged properly.

Stick with getting a CLD-97 CLD-99 LD-S2 or one of the HLD-Xx series units. These are your best ones. Stick with pioneer, they are the INVENTOR of laserdisc. McIntosh, Runco, etc... are all made by PIONEER, I have spent enough years learning and using these things to tell you that 90% of LDs out there are pioneer, regardless of their brand.

If you like the look of a runco or the McIntosh, you can go for them, they may even be a bit better, but I wouldn't count on it. Chances are that the look is about all thats been changed.

Another thing, if the unit you are buying uses belts, get them replaced. I also recommend checking over capacitors since I have had one or 2 that wouldnt cooperate until new capacitors were installed. If the unit you buy is acting up, its most likely a belt, capacitors, or fear the worst; it got damaged from carelessness.

All in all, LDs are a blast to use and quite the conversation piece. I never get over the looks I get when I pull out the 12" shiny Aladdin and throw it in the LDP Very Happy

And to the rest of you non nostalgic peeps, whats so bad about a LD in the rack? Ill have that, Betamax, SVHS, MiniDV, Cassette, and HD DVD, all the failed/outdated formats that I love, and the reason I need to install an additional rack Mr. Green

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info there Jeremy. I agree the sound from a LD is just awesome. I have the Outbreak LD and the BD and I must say the sound from the LD kicks the BD's ass!!! I would love to be able to start both and sync them and watch the BD and listen to the LD .

Very Happy

Nashou

One Smart Dog!!!

stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found my DVDO PS, I tested both inputting composite in to Lumagen XS+ and DVDO VP50.. On my sh*tty 42" Sony Bravia i prefer composite in to Lumagen, and then output HDMI 1080I to DVDO, who handels the deinterlacing.

Its hard to find anything to complain about, not sure its any different than a upscaled DVD.

Im using my Pioneer CLD 2950.
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
Good info there Jeremy. I agree the sound from a LD is just awesome. I have the Outbreak LD and the BD and I must say the sound from the LD kicks the BD's ass!!! I would love to be able to start both and sync them and watch the BD and listen to the LD .

Very Happy

Nashou

Your not the only one with that wish.. lol
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
Good info there Jeremy. I agree the sound from a LD is just awesome. I have the Outbreak LD and the BD and I must say the sound from the LD kicks the BD's ass!!!

Guys, guys, guys... Don't get carried with the whole "audio is awesome on LD" idea... At this point, it's a bit of an antiquated notion.

There was an excellent case to be made for LD audio when DVD was the latest/greatest. An LD with an uncompressed PCM track on it was the very best in home video audio reproduction. It was 44.1khz PCM stereo, so exactly like a CD. That was excellent - the best - for the time, especially for special program material like live concerts and music discs. Only thing is, for surround, that was non-discrete matrix-encoded. Meh. If you go to discrete for superior surround steering, then the encoded AC-3 or DTS tracks were no better than what DVD offered.

Athanasios, there may be a problem with the audio on the Outbreak BD - I can't say because I haven't heard it - but there's absolutely no reason - technical or otherwise - that an LD should sound better than a BD. I'd suspect that it's mostly because it's nearly a 20-year old movie, and the superior TrueHD audio format is a bit to revealing. I say this, because in practically any way, the audio on BD should be far superior to that of LD.

In fact, it's not even close. With BD, we have LPCM, DD TrueHD, and DTS-MA - all of which are lossless at 48khz, 96khz, and 192khz sample rates and 16 and 24-bit resolution. This is amazing, as we're now getting what amounts to the same quality and resolution in our distribution format as what they're using in the production pipeline when they're making and mixing the movies! That SMOKES LD!

That said, collecting some LDs (especially cool, unique content, like music video, concerts, etc. that will probably never be re-released on BD) and a couple of the very best LD players would be fun. I would if I had more time and money. For fun, though - not because it holds any technical advantage.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
theprof291166

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Laser disc Reply with quote

Laser disc is still perfectly watchable but only on a CRT projector. It totally sucks on a modern flat screen digital TV. The CRT projectors are made to scan an analogue composite signal from Laser disc so it works really well. Yes PAL discs are significantly better than NTSC (Never The Same Colour - ha ha). I have about 30 laser discs and quite enjoy playing these monsters. I bought Laser disc only because there was a Laurie Anderson Film called 'Home of the Brave' that was only produced on LD or VHS. As I didn't want crappy VHS it had to be Laserdisc. It transferred to DVD perfectly and also plays really well natively on my CRT Barco. Sound is great too. Laserdisc is dated but way cooler than boring DVDs. Of course I am not a idiot - I normally play Blu-ray in HD.

Have fun!!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:

If you are dead serious about a laserdisc player, ebay is an excellent source. I know there are many who are weary of shipping these units. You have to look out for ones that require transit screws. A lot of the time most of the people selling these LD units dont think about that, and if their unit has a need for a transit screw, it WILL get damaged.

If you buy a unit that does not need a transit screw, as long as it is packaged well, it will be just fine. I have not had any issues with the few LD units I have sold, because they are packaged properly.

Another thing, if the unit you are buying uses belts, get them replaced. I also recommend checking over capacitors since I have had one or 2 that wouldnt cooperate until new capacitors were installed. If the unit you buy is acting up, its most likely a belt, capacitors, or fear the worst; it got damaged from carelessness.

Great tips thank-you Jeremy.

Jeremy112 wrote:

Stick with getting a CLD-97 CLD-99 LD-S2 or one of the HLD-Xx series units. These are your best ones. Stick with pioneer, they are the INVENTOR of laserdisc. McIntosh, Runco, etc... are all made by PIONEER, I have spent enough years learning and using these things to tell you that 90% of LDs out there are pioneer, regardless of their brand.

If you like the look of a runco or the McIntosh, you can go for them, they may even be a bit better, but I wouldn't count on it. Chances are that the look is about all thats been changed.

This is what I have read as well. That is mainly why I was looking for the Elite models and other "Clone" premium brands.

I also have been seeing some Theta LD players that I love the looks of and would consider if the price was right.

As I said earlier my main concern on shipping would be the cost as most of the great players are in or about 70lbs.

All in all this is just for fun and to show the youngins what things were like when I was young Smile

James

3x Bryston 3B's
Lumagen MINI 3D
Moome FULLHD-EXT V2
9501LC
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: