Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

GC100-12, VeraLite and Ipad setup!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leandrogales

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:23 am    Post subject: GC100-12, VeraLite and Ipad setup! Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Before saying anything, i want to apologize for my bad english, i'm Brazilian and still learning!
Ok, lets start:
I just bought my whole automation system (Veralite, a bunch of z-wave devices, a gc-100-12, and i want to control my two TVs, blueray, receiver with my ipad.
Do i have to buy the expensive GC-bl2 blaster or it will work with any kind of blaster? I dont wanna use the stick on emitters thoug!
What is the best app for the ipad to control the veralite? I tried the SQ but it is so complicated and i am just a novice in the area!
I am sure i have more questions but i had problems trying to post that so i gonna have to play with everythig again and im sure i will remember all the questions!
Thanks a lot!
Leandro Gales

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Leandro,

If you want to use the GC-100, you'll probably need the expensive GC-BL2 if your equipment will be any distance at all from the blaster... The BL2 isn't just a typical LED blaster; it's a powered blaster. If you use a standard blaster, the beam will be wider, but there will be no more power to drive the blaster, and range will be very short. The smaller, newer, iTach IP2IR and WF2IR can both use a cheap blaster (and include one) because they have a single output that can be designed high-current for blaster use. There is also one more disadvantage to the GC-100 in that only supports one client connection at a time. That's not usually a concern with a dedicated theater or TV room, but

As for an app, take a look at iRule. It can control the MiCasaVerde controller, and the rest of your A/V gear. Somebody here used RoomieRemote because it was easy, but it lacks significant customizability, and I'm not sure it would work or work well for what you want to do (A/V and Z-Wave). I doubt there are any "beginner" apps that will do all you want it to do. There are project templates to help you get started, and from the there the UI is completely customizable. You can do it little by little. Get the A/V working, then move on to lights.

Disclaimer: I work for iRule. I was a long-time fan, beta tester, and customer before I started working with them.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Cheers,
SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
HK-Steve

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500, Epson 8100

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a WiFi to IR repeater that works with iRule??

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ecrabb,
looks like i cant download the remote when using the Demo licensing, right?
I'm almost done on the remote builder, but when i try to access it from my ipad, it says "no compatible remotes"!
So, i have to buy it before use it on my Ipad?
I got the GC-100 for 30 bucks at ebay, so if i pay 40 for the blaster, still worth i guess!
What you guys think about HTPC, Micca or Zotac as media server? I love XBMC though! But i need something that uses minimal power, thats why i dont want a PC running 24/7.
I'm looking at using some LED strip lights to add some task/accent lighting in a couple locations.
I'm guessing a normal z-wave lamp module isn't appropriate for dimming these - is there any alternative solution?

Thanks for any advice!

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leandrogales,

There are two separate iRule apps - iRule for iPod and iPhone, and iRule HD for iPad. Make sure you have iRule HD for iPad, and that should fix the "no handsets found" issue.

I'll answer on the led/dimmer issue later.

SC
leandrogales

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again!

But i have the irule HD already!

And on the irule builder, I created 2 devices, ipad retina and ipad 3 ( I know it's the same) but just to make sure, and still not working!

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, no problem. Thanks for bumping this back up. Forgot to get back to you.

I can't say I have any first-hand experience with them, but I think the LED strips are all going to be inductive loads, and I think those that are dimmable do so using a digital controller with pulse-width modulation (PWM). So, again - no first-hand knowledge, but I'd guess you'd want to be looking at some kind of controller that's controlled via IR or RS-232, then driving that controller with iRule.

I was thinking of doing exactly the same thing with some strips of LED lighting under the lips on my rack shelves to light up the front of the equipment a bit when I'm tweaking stuff, as I have no light in that corner, and it's really hard to see most of the time. I've been looking at the cheap stuff on Amazon as a possibility, and most of those have controllers with cheapo credit-card style IR remotes.

There's also really cool stuff like the Philips Color Kinetics DMX system, which has all sorts of cool programming and control features, but you can easily drop a couple thousand bucks for a single room with that stuff.

SC
leandrogales

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!
I think i'll stick with the amazon staff then, i was thinking to do the lights behind the TV, and set it to shut off when i press play!

About the Irule, i could't make it work on my Ipad! Any other idea?

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the DMX stuff probably isn't for just playing around with. For sticking behind the TV and shelf lights and such, I'd look at Amazon or ebay and play around to find the right thing. I think I can do what I want for maybe $50-100. This is the set I've been looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/Ledwholesalers-Changing-Flexible-Yourself-Controller/dp/B0040FJ27S

I think I just have to add some connectors and solder some wiring to be able to cut the strips for my shelf lips. I think you'd have to do the same thing to make a rectangle behind the TV, or there seems to be a bunch that are pre-cut strips that are already terminated with pin connectors for interconnecting the strips.

--------

For getting the sync working, there are two things to check:
1. Make sure you're running iRule HD on the iPad. You'll know if it's the wrong one (for iPod/iPhone) because it'll run in a small frame and have the little "2x" button in the lower-right, and will "blow up" to mostly full screen. The iPad version will only run in full-scren.
2. Make sure you have an iPad handset in the Builder. Not iPad Retina, just plain old iPad. If you made an iPad Retina handset, then the new app version which was just submitted to the store will sync with that handset.

If you've checked/done both of those things, and it still won't sync, then PM me your username (not password), and I'll have support pull a backup from your account and they'll figure out what's going on.

Regards,
SC
leandrogales

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tks, just came back from vacation, I'll take a look at the irule problem again and let you know!
But I'm sure I have the irule HD and I've created two handsets, ipad 3 and ipad retina!
So should I creat a plain ipad also?

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you created an iPad Retina handset, the current app (that you have) won't sync that Retina handset... Yet.

So, for now... Yes, create a plain iPad handset and see if you can sync it. It should work; if it does, then you can work on that that handset and test a little.

If you've done some work in the iPad 3/Retina handset, we're literally a couple of days away from being able to use the version that will sync with a Retain handset. It was submitted to Apple, so the iRule team is just waiting on Apple to approve.

SC
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Accessories All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: