Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

SPF records? (people not getting emails sent from our site)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Forum Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: SPF records? (people not getting emails sent from our site) Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Seems more and more people that get automated emails from our website (IP 206.225.20.165) are not receiving them. These include forum notifications, password resets, and so on. People tell me that the emails are not in their junk mail folder either.

This led me to think about implementing SFP records. If I’m not mistaken, some email servers will not accept mail from domains without SPF records.

I have the following mail servers on my dedicated server:

POP3 server (incoming): MAIL.CURTPALME.COM
SMTP server (outgoing) : SMTP.CURTPALME.COM

and

POP3 server (incoming): MAIL.THEELECTRICBREWERY.COM
SMTP server (outgoing): SMTP.THEELECTRICBREWERY.COM

I contacted my hosting company and they said:

Quote:
You will need to let us know what you want the SPF record to be. If you are unfamiliar with spf you can use the following site to build your record.

http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/safety/content/technologies/senderid/wizard/

Once you have received the SPF record email it to us and we will add it into DNS.

I took a look and it's not clear to me what options I should be picking on step 3 of 4 of this wizard. Anyone done this before? I do not send email from anywhere else. It all originates from my dedicated server (206.225.20.165).

I think something like this may work but I'm not sure:

Code:
v=spf1 a mx mx:mail.curtpalme.com mx:smtp.curtpalme.com -all

Anyone have any hints?

Anyone see any other reasons why mail from my server isn't accepted by certain mail servers? Gmail seems to be the most affected. I confirmed that my IP isn't blacklisted.

Thanks!

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Err, correction: There seems to be one place out there that has my IP blacklisted: http://www.barracudanetworks.com/reputation/?pr=1&ip=206.225.20.165

It's only one out of 100's. I don't think that's the issue however.

They "recommend" I pay $20/year to be registered at EmailReg.org to avoid these sorts of issues. Sounds like a scam.

There are lots of scam places like this. If I use third party blacklist checkers, one of them mentions that http://fl.chickenboner.biz/ is another site that supposedly says I'm blacklisted but going there shows that they just want to sell you anti-virus software. None of the "legit" blacklist sites seem to have problems.

I still think an SPF record would help but if anyone has any brighter ideas I'm all ears.

Kal

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get all notifications except for Private message notifications which get sent to my Junk Mail. I have tried telling my Apple e-mail it is not junk but still it gets sent there.

Athansios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the sort of problem I'm trying to fix. People are whitelisting us as "ok" but some mail servers still seem to consider us as "junk". Some others are simply rejecting the mail entirely (not bounced) so I have no idea it's been rejected nor does the user.

Kal

ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep... At some point, I stopped receiving PM notifications by email, too.

As far as I know, Barracuda is a reputable company... You should be able to get off their list. The question is, are other mail servers blocking your email for the same reason the Barracuda list is.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:

As far as I know, Barracuda is a reputable company... You should be able to get off their list. The question is, are other mail servers blocking your email for the same reason the Barracuda list is.

Other blacklist services don't list us. I emailed Barracuda earlier today. We'll see.
Here are some tools that check to see where you're blacklisted. Simply enter "206.225.20.165" if asked:

http://www.mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=blacklist%3a206.225.20.165
http://www.blacklistalert.org/ (enter 206.225.20.165)
http://multirbl.valli.org/lookup/206.225.20.165.html
http://www.dnsbl.info/dnsbl-database-check.php

I'd still appreciate any help that anyone would have regarding SPF records. This blacklisting by Barracuda is actually very new (we weren't 2-3 weeks ago when I first started looking into this...).

Kal

macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious if the recipients email could be blacklisted and that's why thy are not getting it. I have gmail and I get the monthly ads and pm messages fine and they don't go to junk.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:
I'm curious if the recipients email could be blacklisted and that's why thy are not getting it. I have gmail and I get the monthly ads and pm messages fine and they don't go to junk.

Did you whitelist all emails from us in GMAIL? (Ie: told them it's "not" junk in your email settings).

I still get a lot of users who say they never get emails and it's mostly GMAIL. Some Google searches shows that Gmail really seems to do this more than other email providers.

Kal

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still am not getting private message notifications, they go directly to Junk mail and i then tell iCloud it is not hunk but it still doesnt help.

All other notifications like thread subscriptions work.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
I still am not getting private message notifications, they go directly to Junk mail and i then tell iCloud it is not hunk but it still doesnt help.

All other notifications like thread subscriptions work.

That's the sort of thing I'm talking about: Gmail seems to somehow try and determine for you and ignore the rules you set. It's a common complaint.

Kal

macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
macgyver655 wrote:

Did you whitelist all emails from us in GMAIL? (Ie: told them it's "not" junk in your email settings).

I still get a lot of users who say they never get emails and it's mostly GMAIL. Some Google searches shows that Gmail really seems to do this more than other email providers.

Kal

After thinking about this now I don't remember if my messages come through my gmail or my hotmail. I just checked, I get them through my hotmail. I could switch it to my gmail if you want me to try.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to test. Some GMAIL users have issues, some others do not. That much we know.

Kal

macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
No need to test. Some GMAIL users have issues, some others do not. That much we know.

Kal

True, but maybe it is a setting in their own mailbox as most people don't know how to make changes. Just seems odd that if it's only some recipients that it would be on the sending part.
mac

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal. I went into my profile to change my email to try some stuff but somehow it kicked my account and now I cannot log in. I believe it kicked my email and now there is no email listed as i can't even do a forgot password thing. Can you fix it please? Thanks.
mac

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and I set this account up under my gmail and the activation went to spam. This was the message:

"We've found that lots of messages from lded1.atcihosting.com are spam."
mac

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, can't even send my self a message without 5 posts, lol.
mac

test
mac

test
mac

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
Oh, and I set this account up under my gmail and the activation went to spam. This was the message:

"We've found that lots of messages from lded1.atcihosting.com are spam."

After opening the email in the spam section there was an X to select that said: "Remove label Spam from this conversation"

I selected it and sent a couple more PMs and they all went to my regular inbox. I'll keep watch of it.
mac

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I fiddled some more with my macgyver655 account and looks like 2 things are going on. Apparently my account got inactivated. When I tried to do a lost password thing my 2 emails said they were not listed. I noticed that this was coming up by itself when trying to enter an email to send the password to: "macgyver566@gmail.commail.com" . When I entered this as the email to send the password to it excepted it but then said the account was inactive.

Could this commail thing be your issue?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Forum Feedback All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: