Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Samsung 3-D glasses for PN51D6500 TV work with 3-D Theater?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> 3D Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
afyuen

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Samsung 3-D glasses for PN51D6500 TV work with 3-D Theater? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I am interested in purchasing the 3-D Theater but already have 4 Samsung glasses (SSG-3100GB) for the Samsung PN51D6500 3D Plasma TV that I have. Will the Samsung glasses work with the 3-D Theater or would I have to purchase a whole new set for it? I am interested in using the unit on my Panasonic AE1000U projector. Thanks for any info on this!
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What technology do the SSG-3100GB glasses use? I can't seem to find anything useful. If they're DLPLink technology and your projector supports DLPLink then yes, it'll work.

If they use IR or RF technology and you can buy an emitter for them (or already have one) that has a 3-pin DIN connector then you can plug the emitter into the 3D-Theatre and it'll work.

Generally speaking manufacturers of TVs make their 3D glasses such that they only work with their TVs. They do this on purpose so that you're "stuck" using buying their TVs going forward. This is one reason why I like the universal nature of the 3D-Theatre and RF glasses. You're not stuck to one manufacturer.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
afyuen

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply Kal. I'm not sure what technology it uses either. I know that the glasses work on my Panasonic 3D bluray player as well, and not just the Samsung player. I think the emitter is built in to that Samsung Plasma TV - here is the link to the review of that TV - http://reviews.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/samsung-plasma-tv/samsung-pn51d6500.html. I'll try and do more research. I don't want to spend that extra $200 or so just to get the 4 glasses if mine would work as well. Not sure where I would buy an "emitter" though. Any help on that would be appreciated as well. Thanks!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You likely can't buy an emitter for the Samung glasses as Samsung puts them right in the TV and they don't want you to be able to buy a separate emitter so that you can buy a different TV in the future and keep using their glasses. As I mentioned before, they want you to keep using their TVs.

Most built-in emitters are IR as they're cheaper to make and have been around longer. Take a look on your glasses or TV for an IR window (usually fogged/grey). RF uses an integrated antenna that you can't see. It should be pretty easy to see in the glasses.

Or just turn your head or look up/down (away) from the TV with 3D content running. You'll lose sync which means it' defintely IR. RF is imune to this since it's not line of sight.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your TV manual is here:

http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/tv-video/tv/plasma/PN51D6500DFXZA-support

It mentions:

3D Active Glasses from Samsung’s previous product (IR type) or other manufacturers not be supported.

It also mentions that the glasses are active. Active glasses will not work as you need the glasses to be controlled by the 3D-Theatre.

Your glasses are only meant to be used with your TV. They may not even work with future Samsung TVs.

Kal

afyuen

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer. Thanks again for the help Kal. I guess if I were to get the 3-D Theater, I'll need to get the glasses as well. I suppose when all is said and done, it's a good stop-gap measure before I plunge $$$ on a proper 3D projector when the technology matures further. It appears that the Epson and the Panny 3D projectors are the only current contenders in the market so far.
afyuen

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan on ordering it soon. Just wanted to make sure that it will work on the Panasonic projector AE1000U. Anyone know?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The projector should work fine given that has an HDMI input and supports at least 720p/60Hz. Some rare projectors have a frame locking issue which makes it unsuitable for use with the 3D-Theatre (mostly older JVC models). I've never heard of this issue with your Panny.

The 3D-Theatre was primarily intended for slightly older higher end LCD/DLP digital projectors just like yours (where spent a chunk of cash and are generally happy with the performance so they don't want to replace).

Kal

afyuen

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, Kal!
afyuen

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I posted this originally, I have upgraded my old projector to a 3D one recently. I did purchase the 3D theatre this past summer but don't need it anymore due to the upgrade. If interested, I posted the ad in the Buy & Sell thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> 3D Products All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: