Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

How To Convert AVI(dvsd) to AVI (XviD)

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: How To Convert AVI(dvsd) to AVI (XviD) Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Is there any free software that can batch convert AVI(dvsd) to AVI (XviD) or similar? looking for loss-less conversion if possible.

I didn't realize there were so many different CODECs for AVI. All my VHS converted video is dvsd and my OPPO BDP-93 won't playback dvsd format AVI.

Which form is loss-less, uncompressed or the best quality? XviD, DviX, or MP4.
View user's photo album (33 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you used a hardware DV encoder like a Dazzle or Pinnacle box. The DV codec it used is really more of an "editing" format than a "playback" format... The files are large - about 8GB/hour - and DV is an intra-frame encoding scheme. The bottom line is that there isn't any way to convert that "lossless" to another format for the Oppo, because I don't think any of those other containers support DV as a codec.

The good thing is since it's DV, you can encode those files to good quality mp4, which is a much smaller, more portable format. I'm not a PC guy, so I can't tell you what's the best encoding software, but you should try Handbrake...

http://handbrake.fr/downloads.php

You can batch encode to mp4, you can try some different quality settings, and given the quality of VHS to begin with, the output mp4 files will probably be virtually indistinguishable from the AVI file, and probably indistinguishable from the VHS tape for that matter.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: