Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

cooling down my rack closet

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mc86

TV/Projector: ECP 4500 (Vidikron box), ECP4500+, wanting 07MS/07MTS, evaluating pc soft-blend

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: cooling down my rack closet Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hey guys - I saw something on Kal's awesome basement project that got me to thinking.

kal wrote:

A cold air return was installed beside what will eventually be the home theater equipment rack:
Kal

So my rack is in one part of a little closet located in a corner of my basement. The closet has an uninsulated, epoxy coated concrete floor and well insulated exterior walls (sealed foam outside studs + r13 pink stuff). The front of the rack is just behind a pocket door (that conceals the rack from main area). The rest of the closet (and the back of the rack) is accessed via a normal 30" door. Getting to the back of the rack is a PITA, but I accepted that as the alternative choices weren't great.

In a bonehead move I figured that closet would stay naturally "cool" around 65deg perhaps by itself as there is no air handling to/from the closet. That is, I figured heat would escape out the pocket door and life would be good. However, I keep that door closed most of the time. And -- go figure -- now the noisy rack fan turns on (I have a thermostatic regulator on the rack fan) and recirculates hot air in the room until I open the door a while. Idiotic move on my part. Evil or Very Mad I know -- ~1500W with nowhere to go is called a space heater. Ducting the rack fan (I think) would be impractical -- and it is VERY noisy.

So, I have both a supply duct and a cold air return running directly over the room and I could easily branch a 4" line off of either. Am I better to run a snout to the top of the rack that:

a) is from the cold air return (always sucking hot air out, drawing make-up air into the closet - along with dust) or

b) run a supply duct into the closet (pressurize the closet with filtered air). I'd have to accept the room will get hot air in the winter months, but the basement is always cold in the winter anyway...so maybe not a problem. I suppose I could put a actuator on the supply duct for when the furnace kicks on -- our furnace fan runs 24/7 to filter and recirculate air.

Thoughts?
Matt
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote is for A. Get the heat out. If you put a small vent in the bottom of the door... Say some kind of a slot, or even just the door gap itself, that may be enough to pull cool air in off the floor, and it shouldn't pull that much dust in with it, and what does will probably flow with the air right into the return to be filtered with the rest of your return air.

Putting supply air into the closet isn't really going to accomplish much without good ventilation, and as you mentioned, a good part of the year, you may as well just close the vent, as you'd be putting hot air into the closet.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
dturco

TV/Projector: Runco DLP VX-3000i Marquee 9500 parts doner

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely choice "A". Get the heat out.

http://www.hulu.com/firefly
mc86

TV/Projector: ECP 4500 (Vidikron box), ECP4500+, wanting 07MS/07MTS, evaluating pc soft-blend

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad I asked. The fan switches on when the mechanical thermostat gets to 85F, so I know it is getting about that hot next the top of the rack. I'll put an iButton temperature logger inside my rack for the next few weeks to get some baseline data. It will be a few weeks before I make the time to cut a hole in the ceiling/run a 4" flex duct, etc.

I've been surprised the fan on my amp (kenwood KM-X1) has never kicked on...I need to check if it has shot craps or simply has a really high setpoint. I'd have guessed they'd use a 3-wire monitoring fan, but perhaps not...

Matt

BTW, here is a messed-up use of these loggers...
http://www.hamstertracker.com/ITW.html
dturco

TV/Projector: Runco DLP VX-3000i Marquee 9500 parts doner

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mc86 wrote:
Glad I asked. The fan switches on when the mechanical thermostat gets to 85F, so I know it is getting about that hot next the top of the rack. I'll put an iButton temperature logger inside my rack for the next few weeks to get some baseline data. It will be a few weeks before I make the time to cut a hole in the ceiling/run a 4" flex duct, etc.

I've been surprised the fan on my amp (kenwood KM-X1) has never kicked on...I need to check if it has shot craps or simply has a really high setpoint. I'd have guessed they'd use a 3-wire monitoring fan, but perhaps not...

Matt

BTW, here is a messed-up use of these loggers...
http://www.hamstertracker.com/ITW.html

Matt if the closet is near the outside wall, couldn't you just vent it to the outside with a dryer type vent? Those types of vents have flap doors or louvers to keep the outside air from coming back in.

Just a thought.

http://www.hulu.com/firefly
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: