Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Modern Sliding door hardware - recommendations?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Modern Sliding door hardware - recommendations? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
This one's a long shot, but there are lots of smart guys here so I thought I'd ask...

We want to install a sliding "barn style" sliding door at the foot of the basement stairs. The door will be custom wood (that part is easy) but we're having problems finding reasonably priced hardware to support it.

Here's the style of hardware we like:

Link: http://www.kncrowder.com/slidingdoor/crt101.php

The problem is the price of the hardware: ~$2200 MSRP. Even with a contractor discount it doesn't get into the realm of what seems reasonable. While it does look well made, there doesn't seem to much to it to warrant such a massive price so we figure it's mostly high priced as it's very low volume as these things are "in" right now.

Slightly cheaper at around ~$1250 MSRP:

Link: http://www.barndoorhardware.com/tubular-track-door-hardware/oden.html

Still fairly expensive for what you get however.

Even cheaper still at around ~$450 MSRP:

Link: http://rusticahardware.com/ultramodern-barn-door-hardware/

This one however is starting to look really cheap. There doesn't seem to be any sort of sealed bushings, rubber stopper, or anything that would warrant such a price even at $450. Looks like a metal wheel on a bolt, above a steel flat rod. Something I could make in about 20 minutes.

Anyone seen anything or have any recommendations for something that looks more like the one in the first picture but is less expensive (and not junk)?

Thanks!

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal,

I feel your pain. I have the same taste as you, so whenever I start looking at finish materials, casework, hardware, etc. the price goes nuts. I have the knack of picking out the most ridiculous stuff.

I also have a couple of buddies that are designers and architects, and they do lots of furniture design and fabrication, and I help from time to time, so I have some experience.

I know the first two pieces seem really high-priced, and to some extent, they are... But, if you started putting all those pieces together, getting it milled, turned, plasma cut, finished, drilled, tapped, sourcing all the fasteners, you'd be pretty surprised at how the fast the price would climb. I bet if you did all the design work yourself, sourced all the material, and sourced out all the fabrication, you'd probably spend close to half those prices, and of course that doesn't include any value for your time.

Even that last one at $450... I know it was just hyperbole, but I call BS on your "20 minutes"... I think you're grossly underestimating how much time and effort it takes to fabrication work, let alone the research, planning, design, and sourcing. If it was as easy as you claim, nobody would be able to sell these you're finding. If you can whip those up in 20 minutes, you should be doing fab work. Wink

I've done stuff like this, and AFTER I spent several evenings a week for several weeks, researching, sourcing, and planning, then after I got all the pieces and parts, then I would likely spend a good chunk of a weekend in the garage with the chop saw, welder, drill press, etc. putting it all together.

So, IMHO, you have three choices:
- Spend a significant amount of time doing it yourself, probably designing and outsourcing some of the machine work.
- Put something together yourself for a lot cheaper from commercial/industrial parts (which will look it).
- Pony up

OK four choices... I've seen some "skate wheel" options which don't look too bad. Basically, you get channel aluminum (or stainless), inline skate wheels, and then fabricate the door/wheel brackets. Not too bad looking if you find the right wheels, and relatively inexpensive.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't blame these folks, they are just catering to a different crowd (those with lots of money). How about browsing McMaster and DIY your own solution. Think of it like a project for a creative CRT mount. Smile

Seriously, you can buy rough components from a variety of resources for a DIY project and then visit some of the gun forums to get the finish you want on it.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

about 6 years back i was looking at the exact same thing for a sauna door (which probably would not have worked in any case) but my now-wife convinced me that it was too "man-cave" for the frount entrance of our house. sigh.

the conclusion that i came to was fabricating it with a friend on his forge. just too damn expensive for the hardware otherwise.

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
But, if you started putting all those pieces together, getting it milled, turned, plasma cut, finished, drilled, tapped, sourcing all the fasteners, you'd be pretty surprised at how the fast the price would climb. I bet if you did all the design work yourself, sourced all the material, and sourced out all the fabrication, you'd probably spend close to half those prices, and of course that doesn't include any value for your time.

... or getting it wrong the first 5 times until you get something that worked right. I know exactly what you mean Steve. As a seller of custom built items (like these brewing control panels) I know how much work goes into getting a design right.

Quote:
Even that last one at $450... I know it was just hyperbole, but I call BS on your "20 minutes"... I think you're grossly underestimating how much time and effort it takes to fabrication work, let alone the research, planning, design, and sourcing. If it was as easy as you claim, nobody would be able to sell these you're finding. If you can whip those up in 20 minutes, you should be doing fab work. Wink

You're right - the 20 minutes was a massive stretch. I should know better. I have no interest in making this thing myself and will pay to get something that works.

I have no issues with paying for quality materials and workmanship. I guess what I'm trying to avoid now is the 'designer pricing' that seems to exist with some of these products.

Quote:
So, IMHO, you have three choices:
- Spend a significant amount of time doing it yourself, probably designing and outsourcing some of the machine work.

Not going to happen. I agree 100% with you if I decided to build my own it would probably (a) end up just as expensive, (b) take me way too much time, and (c) not be as nice.

Quote:
- Put something together yourself for a lot cheaper from commercial/industrial parts (which will look it).

Not going to happen either. If it doesn't look nice there's no point really. Vain as it seems, the entire point is the look of it. My wife first saw it and had the idea. I liked it.

Quote:
- Pony up

I have a fourth option I may entertain... go with a Chinese knockoff off of eBay to avoid the designer markups. They're about $250-300.

Here's an example for $297:

Link: https://www.ebay.com/?mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&siteid=0&campid=5336656890&toolid=20008&mkevt=1

Some other examples off eBay:

$297: https://www.ebay.com/?mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&siteid=0&campid=5336656890&toolid=20008&mkevt=1

$338: https://www.ebay.com/?mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&siteid=0&campid=5336656890&toolid=20008&mkevt=1

$318: https://www.ebay.com/?mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&siteid=0&campid=5336656890&toolid=20008&mkevt=1

$297: https://www.ebay.com/?mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&siteid=0&campid=5336656890&toolid=20008&mkevt=1

Quote:
OK four choices... I've seen some "skate wheel" options which don't look too bad. Basically, you get channel aluminum (or stainless), inline skate wheels, and then fabricate the door/wheel brackets. Not too bad looking if you find the right wheels, and relatively inexpensive.

Yes, but again you have to make it and figure it out. Probably would have 4-5 false starts until you get something that works, and forget about looking good. It's not about doing something the cheapest possible to get a functional sliding door. We thought it would be cool to expose the hardware which means it needs to look nice too. Otherwise I'd just get a regular closet sliding door setup for $200 or so and put some casing around it and be done with. Something like this:

Thanks for the insights guys!

Kal

Last edited by kal on Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:45 pm; edited 3 times in total
WTS

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GO with the Chinese knock-off, most of the other ones are probably sourced out of China anyway. It's not like it's going to see lots of heavy use so it shouldn't have a problem lasting for many years to come.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTS wrote:
GO with the Chinese knock-off, most of the other ones are probably sourced out of China anyway. It's not like it's going to see lots of heavy use so it shouldn't have a problem lasting for many years to come.

Thanks Walter. My thoughts exactly, which is why I thought of it. Most of the 'knockoffs' are sold by American retailers but I'm just guessing they're all made in China (but then isn't everything?).

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've gone with my eBay idea and purchased this:

[Cordia] European Modern Stainless Wood Sliding Barn Door Hardware Set

It ships today from New York via UPS. $268USD plus another 25$ for an extra long rail (8' long). Not bad. The seller's sold 114 of them and has a 100% rating. Everyone seems to be happy with the product which is good to see. Seller was very responsive to my questions too.

Much more reasonable than $2200. At 1/10th the cost I'm willing to make some allowances on quality too.

Kal

ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, Kal! Thanks for the heads-up on the ebay pieces. I even did a google search, but for whatever reason, ebay didn't even occur to me.

The price you paid is really excellent... You couldn't DIY it for anywhere near that price. Given the feedback, and the high cost of the alternatives, it sounds like a steal.

Can't wait to hear how it looks and works.

SC
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Excellent, Kal! Thanks for the heads-up on the ebay pieces. I even did a google search, but for whatever reason, ebay didn't even occur to me.

Same here. I went through about a dozen sites looking/searching and then I thought about eBay. Not sure why I didn't think of it sooner...

Quote:
The price you paid is really excellent... You couldn't DIY it for anywhere near that price. Given the feedback, and the high cost of the alternatives, it sounds like a steal.

Yup! Agreed.

Quote:
Can't wait to hear how it looks and works.

That makes two of us!

Kal

paw

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good find Kal! Let us know how it works out.

Just one thing I noticed. I bet the black on the inside of the roller is just paint. You might have to touch it up after a year or so.

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paw wrote:
Just one thing I noticed. I bet the black on the inside of the roller is just paint. You might have to touch it up after a year or so.

Was wondering that myself. A lot of them seem to be black inside like that. Not sure why they'd bother painting it. The rest is stainless/shiny which is the the look you want, so why paint the only surface that has mechanical contact since it'll obviously wear? I doubt it's some sort of rubberized insert. That would wear too.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cannot wait to see how it turns out, Kal. What was the estimated [door] weight limitations?
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the eBay order page:

Door Weight Capacity: 150LB

Kal

ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm betting that black insert is a hard rubber material. I think it would be pretty noisy if it were a metal-on-metal roller-on-rod assembly. A rubber surface on the roller would quiet operation considerably and shouldn't really wear appreciably, unless you were opening the door 10 times a day for years on end. Used normally once or twice a day, I think the rubber would dry and crack long before it ever wears out.

Can't wait to see how it looks and works!

SC
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense SC. I'll see soon enough as I'll probably be receiving it in the next day or two (it's not a holiday up here - ours was yesterday).

Kal

zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

little bit of rubber renue (designed to help r2r pinch rollers live longer) might help a rubber roller for the door.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the rubber wheels have a familiar landing spot (location where they take the pressure most of the time) there will be a flattening of the wheel and a familiar thumping sound when in motion.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like the tires of my car (when i lived in Ottawa) during the January cold spells. took a couple of blocks to work out the flat spots on the rubber.
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
If the rubber wheels have a familiar landing spot (location where they take the pressure most of the time) there will be a flattening of the wheel and a familiar thumping sound when in motion.

True. Maybe it's something harder... like what they use in sliding closet doors (which don't develop a flat spot it seems). Some sort of nylon maybe?

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: