Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Ok, here is what I think I'm gonna buy.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
overclkr

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Ok, here is what I think I'm gonna buy. Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Let me know what you guys think. How far have the single chippers come in regards to rainbow effect? I would think being full 3D and how much this projector is touted to have excellent performance in 3D would the rainbows be a non issue?

http://www.benq.us/product/projector/w7000

http://www.projectorcentral.com/benq-w7000-3d-projector-review.htm
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get headaches and have thrown up once with single chip DLPs. If you value your carpet in the room, don't get that. Why not JVC?
overclkr

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
I get headaches and have thrown up once with single chip DLPs. If you value your carpet in the room, don't get that. Why not JVC?

They never really did bother me that much although it was noticable from time to time.

While the JVC is a nice machine, it sucks for motion, and the 3D performance is subpar from what I have seen and read. Smile
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the old Benq 8720, its totaly sh*tty compared to todays standard, but i never ever seen any rainbow. i have friends that say that there is a little if they provoke it.

Benq vs JVC service/ guarantee ill prefer Benq, JVC service sucks. Benq is 100% top nice service.

2D image i'm sure the JVC is better, specially black, but its not perfect.

i'm sure the new Benq DLP will have rock stable RGB measurements from cold to warm, opposite of jvc who need around 30-60 min to be ok stable.

so it will depend on what you value most in a picture, or your sensitive to.
HogPilot

TV/Projector: Vizio P702ui-B3, Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD & 111FD

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

overclkr wrote:
Curt Palme wrote:

They never really did bother me that much although it was noticable from time to time.

While the JVC is a nice machine, it sucks for motion, and the 3D performance is subpar from what I have seen and read. Smile

If 3D is important to you, then DLP is going to be your best choice by far in terms of presenting the material without inducing ghosting or other artifacts. JVC's 2D performance is untouched IMO for under $20K overall, but it doesn't do 3D well (again, my opinion).

Curt's reaction to DLP is certainly atypical, although it's a possibility. If you've watched DLP before and not had any issues, I think the W7000 would be a great choice for you. Its weakest area compared to your CRTs will be absolute black levels.

He's mad at us for making Hog a moderator. He took his ball and went home.

SC
overclkr

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HogPilot wrote:
overclkr wrote:
Curt Palme wrote:

If 3D is important to you, then DLP is going to be your best choice by far in terms of presenting the material without inducing ghosting or other artifacts. JVC's 2D performance is untouched IMO for under $20K overall, but it doesn't do 3D well (again, my opinion).

Curt's reaction to DLP is certainly atypical, although it's a possibility. If you've watched DLP before and not had any issues, I think the W7000 would be a great choice for you. Its weakest area compared to your CRTs will be absolute black levels.

Yeah, I know I wont have very good blacks, but with a 300W bulb, it should at least be as bright as the stack.

I also noticed this little gem coming to the market soon:

http://panasonic.net/avc/projector/infocomm2012/rz470/index.html

This could be a real game changer.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, this puts you in a quandary:

What's it gonna be boy, yes or no?
WHAT'S IT GONNA BE BOY, YES.....OR.... NO?

(I gotta know right now!)

Very Happy
overclkr

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Hmmm, this puts you in a quandary:

What's it gonna be boy, yes or no?
WHAT'S IT GONNA BE BOY, YES.....OR.... NO?

(I gotta know right now!)

Very Happy

Yeah I hear ya. Heck maybe I'll just use a crippled stack until this panasonic comes out.

Maybe I'll stack the Panasonic! Thumbs Up
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you are serious about this then? If so, then wait for Cedia. It is less than three months now.
overclkr

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
So, you are serious about this then? If so, then wait for Cedia. It is less than three months now.

This thing looks to be pretty bad ass. Even has edge blending!

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projector_news.cfm?2012-06-13-Panasonic-goes-Lamp-free&entry_id=529

Yeah, I think I will wait a bit. I gotta see this projector.
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

overclkr wrote:
Spanky Ham wrote:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projector_news.cfm?2012-06-13-Panasonic-goes-Lamp-free&entry_id=529

Ahh yes its about time some nice laser projectors came out, to be honest though, I'm probably going to hang onto CRT for another 5-10 years until you can get a high end model for a good price, CRT still has most the qualities I look for, mainly the motion flow, you just cant beat how smooth a CRT is Cool

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
overclkr wrote:
Spanky Ham wrote:

Ahh yes its about time some nice laser projectors came out, to be honest though, I'm probably going to hang onto CRT for another 5-10 years until you can get a high end model for a good price, CRT still has most the qualities I look for, mainly the motion flow, you just cant beat how smooth a CRT is Cool

You are correct. Motion flow on CRT is awesome.

I have to admit though, that Panasonic looks pretty killer. I wonder how the edge blending works, if it is seamless or not...... 2 of those on my 10ft wide screen would BLAZE. Mr. Green
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your low blue could be as simple as the video amp. Don't be a puss, swap the video amps! Then you can put all this shameful talk away.
dturco

TV/Projector: Runco DLP VX-3000i Marquee 9500 parts doner

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cliffy, friend, com-padre, jup, Just fix the G-90 one more time, then next year the new tech will be as close as it can get to a CRT at a palatable price. The new tech has to be LED or laser and a native 2:35 to rival the stack. Just once more...

http://www.hulu.com/firefly
overclkr

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Your low blue could be as simple as the video amp. Don't be a puss, swap the video amps! Then you can put all this shameful talk away.

I will. Eventually. I'm leaving town though so other priorities.

I want to say more, but I will bite my lip. Smile
overclkr

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dturco wrote:
Cliffy, friend, com-padre, jup, Just fix the G-90 one more time, then next year the new tech will be as close as it can get to a CRT at a palatable price. The new tech has to be LED or laser and a native 2:35 to rival the stack. Just once more...

I actually prefer to stick with the 1:78 Image I have now with masking to 2:35 this way the 16:9 image is larger and seen in it's native mode (especially awesome for the IMAX stuff) Smile
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

overclkr wrote:
Curt Palme wrote:

I will. Eventually. I'm leaving town though so other priorities.

I want to say more, but I will bite my lip. Smile

Chicago finally had enough of you? Coming from Chicago, that's pretty badass! Mr. Green
HogPilot

TV/Projector: Vizio P702ui-B3, Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD & 111FD

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

overclkr wrote:
Spanky Ham wrote:

3000 lumens and 20K:1 on/off CR? I guarantee those are meaningless, inflated marketing numbers. The Casio tech that they use is a hybrid LED/Laser light source, and even if it's capable of putting out 3K lumens, it won't be anywhere close to a D65 white point. The real CR on this thing will probably be in the neighborhood of 3K-5K:1, but not at anywhere close to max light output.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, however digital PJ tech is simply not capable of producing anywhere close to those kinds of calibrated numbers. If it were, it would be revolutionary and the entire community would be abuzz with the news.

He's mad at us for making Hog a moderator. He took his ball and went home.

SC
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention the Panny is 1280x800.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
Not to mention the Panny is 1280x800.

"The primary difference between the two is that the RZ470 has 1920x1080 resolution"

It also has no color wheel so no rainbows Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: