Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

No more CRT for me.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barclay66

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500 Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Very well spoken!

Reminds me of the feature inflation that can be seen around flat TVs. Hell, who cares for "600 Hz", "Perfect Clear" and such if the only reliable criteria is customer satisfaction. If he likes the picture he gets then it's a perfect match. Using other peoples opinion never can replace one of Your own!

Regards,
barclay66
View user's photo album (25 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Offering an opinion isn't necessarily to supplant another opinion, but to shed light on a topic, bring an un-discussed aspect, or suggest other unconsidered parameters.

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500 Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct. And there's nothing wrong about that. I was referring to those people who base their decisions on which technology to buy on product reviews, feature lists, other second hand information instead of checking it out for themselves. Collecting opinions doesn't contradict with this IMHO. I just think that it could become difficult for a product to fit a consumer's needs if he didn't test and compare for himself. The poorest guy I can think of is the one that can't admit to himself that somebody else, a pile of colorful paper, the promise of a status symbol or simply the hefty price led him to buy something that he in reality isn't satisfied with. At least for me that would be a situation that I would like to avoid. Doesn't mean that I always choose right, but at least I know that I'm entirely responsable for my decision. You could call this some sort of "Anti-Trend" attitude but hey, that's the main reason I'm into CRT's!

Regards,
barclay
View user's photo album (25 photos)
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

digitalayon wrote:
15 years ago if you were to tell me I would be using a projector that sold for 50 grand, I would have called you f*cking crazy.

Ummmmm, 15 years ago if you would have said that I would have a projector period then I would have called you f#cking crazy. Wink I had just bought the top of the line Panny 31" tube and thought I was the bomb. It always makes me laugh when I see people under the age of 25 complaining about the price of pjs when I didn't even have that option at their age.
HogPilot

TV/Projector: Vizio P702ui-B3, Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD & 111FD

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
digitalayon wrote:
15 years ago if you were to tell me I would be using a projector that sold for 50 grand, I would have called you f*cking crazy.

Ummmmm, 15 years ago if you would have said that I would have a projector period then I would have called you f#cking crazy. Wink I had just bought the top of the line Panny 31" tube and thought I was the bomb. It always makes me laugh when I see people under the age of 25 complaining about the price of pjs when I didn't even have that option at their age.

My family had a 32" Sony XBR around that time and I remember thinking that was "huge." Which it was, compared to our 19 incher from the early 80's Smile

Now here I am thinking my 60" flat panel is moderately-sized...it's amazing how things change.

He's mad at us for making Hog a moderator. He took his ball and went home.

SC
Tinman

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HogPilot wrote:
Spanky Ham wrote:
digitalayon wrote:

My family had a 32" Sony XBR around that time and I remember thinking that was "huge." Which it was, compared to our 19 incher from the early 80's Smile

Now here I am thinking my 60" flat panel is moderately-sized...it's amazing how things change.

Boy, isn't THAT the truth!

How FAST things change.... In the 80's Flat Panels were the stuff of science fiction movies.

Marc

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinman wrote:
In the 80's Flat Panels were the stuff of science fiction movies.

Yeah, and now we watch old science-fiction movies on them. Laughing

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VideoGrabber wrote:
Tinman wrote:

A few years back we had morons on the internet turning tv's upside down and having black enclosures surround them with a magnifying glas at the front.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

digitalayon wrote:
VideoGrabber wrote:
Tinman wrote:

A few years back we had morons on the internet turning tv's upside down and having black enclosures surround them with a magnifying glas at the front.

Hey! That was pioneering spirit! ......and if you were good you could just do a scan reversal on the CRT by swapping some wires around. No need to turn the TV upside down.

I watched the Olympics on my ceiling off of a 5" B&W TV with a RPTV lens Very Happy
That was back in the 90's Thumbs Up

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Tinman

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
digitalayon wrote:
VideoGrabber wrote:
Tinman wrote:

Hey! That was pioneering spirit! ......and if you were good you could just do a scan reversal on the CRT by swapping some wires around. No need to turn the TV upside down.

I watched the Olympics on my ceiling off of a 5" B&W TV with a RPTV lens Very Happy
That was back in the 90's Thumbs Up

Oh.... I remember those days! Man, was that DIM!! But the picture was BIG, and that's all that was important.

And then I had a Sony Vidimagic. Google THAT!

It wasn't bad at all on a curved screen.

Marc

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the Vidimagic has a Facebook page. Shocked
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
It looks like the Vidimagic has a Facebook page. Shocked

Indeed the most ridiculous thing I've seen on Facebook! Mr. Green
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first big screen was Poli-Vision, which was the big lens deal that you built your own box for like analog said but the kit also came with a high gain curved screen. I think I had the 5' one. I built the box for the lens to fit a 13" tv but like stated here was somewhat dim. So I went to the local electronics store and started cranking up the contrast on the various 13"rs until I found the one with the brightest picture, which ended up being a Magnavox. Bought it , took it home, opened it up(yeah, a brand new tv), did the scan reversal and located the subcontrast pot and cranked it up all the way.

The picture actually ended up pretty bright and was easily watchable. I hung the 13"er from the ceiling, mounted the screen and enjoyed it for many years until I bought my first projector, a Sony 1020.

Video games were awesome on that big screen for back in those days, you know Intellivision....

Here's the ad:

digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DUDE!.....That was our first projector. The Sony Vidimagic!!!! Ours was part of a package that had a BetaMaxx built in to it. It was kept under lock and key. Heavy as hell too. Not sure but I think I remember a handle on the top to carry it.
Tinman

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

digitalayon wrote:
DUDE!.....That was our first projector. The Sony Vidimagic!!!! Ours was part of a package that had a BetaMaxx built in to it. It was kept under lock and key. Heavy as hell too. Not sure but I think I remember a handle on the top to carry it.

Yes, mine had the betamax in it and a carrying handle.

I heard they were used a lot in Avon presentations, or something along those lines. So they had to be "portable"... Mr. Green

The most fascinating thing about it was the weird CRT. It used 2 optical sensors embedded in the bell, looking back at the "screen". Since the CRT had no shadow mask, but 3 primary colors, the circuitry used some neat tricks to modulate the electron beam to not only handle the image brightness, but also light up depending on which color pixel it was hitting.
This was called a "Beam Indexing CRT" by Sony.

This maskless design allowed it to be very bright. In fact, the CRT looks like one from a 1030, only modified. Liquid cooled as well.

Sony also made a 5" field monitor with the same tube, so it was clearly visible outdoors. A friend of mine has one.
Also a small color tv.

Interesting footnote in CRT tech.

Marc

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinman wrote:
digitalayon wrote:

Yes, mine had the betamax in it and a carrying handle.

I heard they were used a lot in Avon presentations, or something along those lines. So they had to be "portable"... Mr. Green

The most fascinating thing about it was the weird CRT. It used 2 optical sensors embedded in the bell, looking back at the "screen". Since the CRT had no shadow mask, but 3 primary colors, the circuitry used some neat tricks to modulate the electron beam to not only handle the image brightness, but also light up depending on which color pixel it was hitting.
This was called a "Beam Indexing CRT" by Sony.

This maskless design allowed it to be very bright. In fact, the CRT looks like one from a 1030, only modified. Liquid cooled as well.

Sony also made a 5" field monitor with the same tube, so it was clearly visible outdoors. A friend of mine has one.
Also a small color tv.

Interesting footnote in CRT tech.

Marc

Sounds like something I should own.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Tinman

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:

Sounds like something I should own.

It's a cool collectors item, I suppose.

I'll be seeing you....

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinman wrote:

I'll be seeing you....

If you're referring to AR's current avatar, the correct phrase is "Be seeing you."

(Sorry to be pedantic. Especially if you are planning on seeing Jeremy soon. Smile)

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VideoGrabber wrote:
Tinman wrote:

I'll be seeing you....

If you're referring to AR's current avatar, the correct phrase is "Be seeing you."

(Sorry to be pedantic. Especially if you are planning on seeing Jeremy soon. Smile)

True. And to think I have the whole series on DVD....

What a great series.

Marc

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9
Jump to: