Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

My favorite amplifiers..!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
L.B. wrote:
Awsome fred Kurt!
I will look forward to your new music/film room. Always a pleasure to visit the old one Smile
We need more pics! I know that you have lots of other stuff Wink

Hey L.B.

Welcome to the best forum in the hole world.. Wink

Those guys in here is almost as crazy as me.. Shocked
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
I love it! More! more! more!

I have a thing for amps. Bigger the better, the heavier the better. Giant heat sink fins. I also prefer a 'classic' approach to amplification. Not necesssarily pure class A all the time but I'm not a big fan of the new digital switching amps.

Thanks for sharing!

Kal

Thanks Kal.

I promise to post a pic of every amp i have, now i need to move them out anyway.
But don't get to disappointed, you seen the biggest already.. Wink
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never really care what they look like on the outside, let's see some naked pictures of the inside! Smile
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Electro Research A75 Naked pics.

Just for you Curt.. Look at this old american f*cker..

I was shocked the first time i looked inside this A75, it looks like new, and how often that happens when you look inside a 35 year old amp.

The story say that this amp came out of John Iversons place, and been stored ever since.
It had a small problem with DC offset, that was caused from a bad connection in one of the TO3 transistor sockets.

And think its why it was put away.

Last edited by stridsvognen on Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Boilermaker

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing amp. About the same time that the ER was born, I built a pair of mono blocks very similar in design to your Gravity. They used 8 pr of Motorola bipolar MJ11033/11032's mounted on a custom built Wakefield heat sink. I posted a pic of it about a year ago and promised Curt I would post some pics with the cover off, but never got around to it. If I can find someone to help me lift it up, I'll do it later this week.

After you show us your amps, how about sharing about your speakers, etc.?

Thanks,
Bob
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NAD S200

2x200W

http://www.avland.co.uk/nad/s200/index.htm

Its not a very nice sounding amp, but i have everything else made in the NAD silverline series, except the extreme sh*tty DVD player..
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boilermaker wrote:
Amazing amp. About the same time that the ER was born, I built a pair of mono blocks very similar in design to your Gravity. They used 8 pr of Motorola bipolar MJ11033/11032's mounted on a custom built Wakefield heat sink. I posted a pic of it about a year ago and promised Curt I would post some pics with the cover off, but never got around to it. If I can find someone to help me lift it up, I'll do it later this week.

After you show us your amps, how about sharing about your speakers, etc.?

Thanks,
Bob

Ill finish the amps here, after we can make a new topic about pre amps, cd players record players pickups stepups and speakers.. Wink

Just cant find time for it all right now.. Embarassed
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you see a Delco transistor, you know it's old!

According to the date code, the transistor is from 976.
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
When you see a Delco transistor, you know it's old!

According to the date code, the transistor is from 976.

Lol it is old.. All the output transistors, pre drivers and input section is Motorola transistors, but there is a few Delco, i guess for ps regulation, or protection circuit.

Last edited by stridsvognen on Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dali Lectron inside. RIFA PEH 169 capacitors, separate transformers for input output and protection.

And notice there is no transistors whos not thermal coupled to the big heatsink. It improves DC drifting and overall stability a lot when all transistors is running with same temperature.

Cables is VDH SCS 12 and 18, like in the Electro Research, its all teflon isolated cables.

Its all hand built in 1989.
L.B.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stridsvognen wrote:
L.B. wrote:
Awsome fred Kurt!
I will look forward to your new music/film room. Always a pleasure to visit the old one Smile
We need more pics! I know that you have lots of other stuff Wink

Hey L.B.

Welcome to the best forum in the hole world.. Wink

Those guys in here is almost as crazy as me.. Shocked

"Almost" must be the keyword here Laughing

That Lectron amp is soooo nice!!
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NAD 218 THX

This is my ugly one, for tossing around. Have another one thats like new deep down under my stack of LD players.
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ELECTROCOMPANIET AMPLIWIER 100

2x100w
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stridsvognen wrote:
Pioneer M22.
http://www.thevintageknob.org/pioneer-M-22.html

Different KL A amp. Sounds very charming with a pair of 2 way speakers.

They are from around 1975, and runs very hot.. 60-70c and its normal that some capacitors are dead, and have made some transistors blow up.

I have 6 with new capacitors and transistors.

SIX of those babies? Whew, I know how expensive they are too, which can only lead me to the assumtion that you have a good source or you were in the right place at the right time!

Either way very fascinating collection you have. I would have to say the top 3 amps in your collection that I like are

A) The Dali Gravity .... its just so huge!!!
B) The one denon with the big VU meters
C) Always a fav to me, the Pioneer M-22

I am curious, do you have any other pieces of the series 20 system? I have the M-25 Class A/B Amplifier, the F-26 7 gang FM tuner in original box/packaging, and the U-24 program selector. Quite nice equipment, the best pioneer ever made IMHO

I am curious, since you own 6 of those M-22s, perhaps you could tell me why my M-25 no longer "powers up.." I have not opened it yet, don't think it has ever been opened, but it does turn on, just stays in protection. And I highly doubt the outputs are toast, the amp just cut out about 10 minutes after turning it on one night and that was the last she sang....

All in all, you have excellent taste (at least to me) in amplification Very Happy I may not have a 220lb dali gravity, but I have some rarities as well.

Also just curious on that Dali gravity.... If you were to sell it, how much would you speculate it would bring? I would say $10,000 to $15,000??

Excellent stuff Very Happy

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
stridsvognen wrote:
Pioneer M22.
http://www.thevintageknob.org/pioneer-M-22.html

Different KL A amp. Sounds very charming with a pair of 2 way speakers.

They are from around 1975, and runs very hot.. 60-70c and its normal that some capacitors are dead, and have made some transistors blow up.

I have 6 with new capacitors and transistors.

SIX of those babies? Whew, I know how expensive they are too, which can only lead me to the assumtion that you have a good source or you were in the right place at the right time!

Either way very fascinating collection you have. I would have to say the top 3 amps in your collection that I like are

A) The Dali Gravity .... its just so huge!!!
B) The one denon with the big VU meters
C) Always a fav to me, the Pioneer M-22

I am curious, do you have any other pieces of the series 20 system? I have the M-25 Class A/B Amplifier, the F-26 7 gang FM tuner in original box/packaging, and the U-24 program selector. Quite nice equipment, the best pioneer ever made IMHO

I am curious, since you own 6 of those M-22s, perhaps you could tell me why my M-25 no longer "powers up.." I have not opened it yet, don't think it has ever been opened, but it does turn on, just stays in protection. And I highly doubt the outputs are toast, the amp just cut out about 10 minutes after turning it on one night and that was the last she sang....

All in all, you have excellent taste (at least to me) in amplification Very Happy I may not have a 220lb dali gravity, but I have some rarities as well.

Also just curious on that Dali gravity.... If you were to sell it, how much would you speculate it would bring? I would say $10,000 to $15,000??

Excellent stuff Very Happy

I think i sold 3 or 4 of my M22, so i have just 6 left.. lol When i like something i really love it lol.

And many of them was defect, and with hopeless repairs, and some i just bought for spare parts. But after some years they were all up running, and i'm left with just 1 donor, who is actually just missing 1 transformer to work.

i never had other Series 20 parts, only know of one who had the M25, and he sold it.. Told me it sounded like crap compared to the M22.

If i was you i would concentrate about some small capacitors in your M25, i guess it could be related to some protection or the feedback of the amp. There is some values of those old nipon chemicon capacitors thats always dead, and make the M22 go up in smoke, but i no longer remember the value of the troubled once. After changing capacitors i never had any other problems then a dirty output relay ..

The price of the gravity is difficult, like its a unknown amp to most of the world, I know of 5 out of the 20 made thats for sale now, and have been for years, asking price from 4000-9000$

I think at the moment its impossible to sell, unless you sell extreme cheep. around 3000$
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denon PMA S1

Maybe the best sounding amp from Denon. Its 2x50W, not enough to run big speakers, but for a set of smaller 2 way speakers set up right, this integrated amp will please you. And the built in Riaa that is quite nice to.

Its the most beautiful finish i have ever seen on any hifi..

http://audio-database.com/DENON-COLUMBIA/amp/pma-s1-e.html
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stridsvognen wrote:

i never had other Series 20 parts, only know of one who had the M25, and he sold it.. Told me it sounded like crap compared to the M22.

If i was you i would concentrate about some small capacitors in your M25, i guess it could be related to some protection or the feedback of the amp. There is some values of those old nipon chemicon capacitors thats always dead, and make the M22 go up in smoke, but i no longer remember the value of the troubled once. After changing capacitors i never had any other problems then a dirty output relay ..

I would strongly have to disagree with the person you knew who owned the M25, I've had it up to full power with no breaking down of any kind. It is the most musical and clearest sounding amp I have had the pleasure of hearing.

I would have to say the guy you knew had bad capacitors or something, the M22 is the M25, only its Class A for the M22 instead of AB for the M25.

I dont know if this is true since Ive never owned one, but the M22 is supposed to have a switch on the bottom to change the amplification mode from Class A to Class AB giving it 115-120W RMS.

Again I don't know if theres any truth to that rumor, it is something I've only read. Once I get the M25 working, you're welcome to come over for a listen Smile Razz

The denon you posted most recently, is absolutely gorgeous. I as well love the finish on these amps. I have scoped out some mini HiFi systems from denon over in the UK that have that finish. Its something the US does not have for any of their equipment, I guess its because us USA peeps like our black and silver crap.

Nothing wrong with black and silver.... if you like the norm. Unfortunately the HT requires such colors in the rack since thats mainly what equipment comes in these days.

I would take that denon from you in a heartbeat just because of the way it looks.

Great stuff there stridsvognen!!

TV/Projector: Runco DLP VX-3000i Marquee 9500 parts doner

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Brystons? Bah. That Dali amp is really nice, I suppose it would do Razz

http://www.hulu.com/firefly
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dturco wrote:
No Brystons? Bah. That Dali amp is really nice, I suppose it would do Razz

I had a Bryston 4BSST but i sold it again, it didn't agree with my sound philosophy.

Ill say the Bryston and the NAD M3 had around the same characteristic.. very slow front transient, some overshoot to the ground tone and not able to finish the information on a instrument/ tone fading out.

One good thing about the Bryston was that it didn't seem to miss power, the NAD sounded like it was over before it started.

If i have to put a word to the way those 2 amps sound, ill say OPAMP.

I was sad like both the Bryston and the NAD M3 is very nice built.. But a bit to expensive to just add them to my collection for looking at.

Last edited by stridsvognen on Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
stridsvognen wrote:

I would strongly have to disagree with the person you knew who owned the M25, I've had it up to full power with no breaking down of any kind. It is the most musical and clearest sounding amp I have had the pleasure of hearing.

I would have to say the guy you knew had bad capacitors or something, the M22 is the M25, only its Class A for the M22 instead of AB for the M25.

I don't know if this is true since Ive never owned one, but the M22 is supposed to have a switch on the bottom to change the amplification mode from Class A to Class AB giving it 115-120W RMS.

Again I don't know if theres any truth to that rumor, it is something I've only read. Once I get the M25 working, you're welcome to come over for a listen Smile Razz

The denon you posted most recently, is absolutely gorgeous. I as well love the finish on these amps. I have scoped out some mini HiFi systems from denon over in the UK that have that finish. Its something the US does not have for any of their equipment, I guess its because us USA peeps like our black and silver crap.

Nothing wrong with black and silver.... if you like the norm. Unfortunately the HT requires such colors in the rack since thats mainly what equipment comes in these days.

I would take that denon from you in a heartbeat just because of the way it looks.

Great stuff there stridsvognen!!

The M22 is pure KL A and not in any way possible to shift to KL AB. it run with 2 set of sanken TO3 transistors pr side, and 850mv bias.. IT gets hot hot hot...

Just sold this one today.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6
Jump to: