Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

3D Displayer and Vivitek Qumi

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> 3D Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jay Stone

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 26, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: 3D Displayer and Vivitek Qumi Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Anyone know if the 3D Displayer will work with the Qumi and DLP link glasses? Anyone tried it? Is the image bright enough? I only use my Qumi in totally dark room. For $299 if it works I'd definitely get it.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 26, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3D-Displayer supports any 120hz 3D Ready DLP-Link projector by brands like Optoma, Benq, Viewsonic, etc.

Looking here:

http://www.vivitekusa.com/v_display_content_detail.asp?category_id=71&subcategory_id=422&product_id=201

It says:

Quote:
Qumi

Bright and Lightweight, HD- and 3D-Ready
With a brightness level up to 300 lumens and weighing only 1.1 pounds, the Qumi is Vivitek’s innovative LED pocket projector. The Qumi features a DLP® Pico chipset and BrilliantColor™ technologies from Texas Instruments. It is also the first pocket projector to be 3D-ready via DLP Link™. The Qumi’s sleek design and connectivity options allows it to be used with a variety of devices, including, but not limited to smart phones, laptops, netbooks and tablets, digital and video cameras. Versatile and portable, the Vivitek Qumi is perfect for sharing digital content at work and play.
Visit Vivitek microsite and learn more about Qumi!

Features:

Native HD 720p resolution
Up to 300 lumens of brightness
Estimated 30,000 hours of operation
USB and MicroSD slots for content and memory expansion
3D-Ready via DLP Link

Assuming this is your projector and the text in red is correct, then yes, it should work.

If your display supports DLP Link then any DLP link glasses will work. Check your display or projector's manual to be sure. I don't know if there's more than one type of "Qumi" projector. I've never heard of it.

The 3D-Displayer is available for order here: http://www.curtpalme.com/3DDisplayer.shtm

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Jay Stone

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 26, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's the Projector. I ask mainly because it's rated at 300 lumens. It is supposedly lower than that. I have no problems with it on a 96 inch screen in a dark room, but i understand the 3d will lower the brightness. Just wanted to know if anyone had tried it. Thanks. I may end up ordering one of these 3D Displayers.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will be some light loss yes. Keep the room dark. You can shrink the image size too if you want.

Kal

Jay Stone

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently found out the Qumi doesn't do 3D over HDMI, only VGA. What are my options now?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Qumi doesn't need to be able to "do" 3D over HDMI. That's the whole point of the 3D-Displayer / 3D-Theatre converter boxes. They take a 3D HDMI signal and convert them into something that a normal 2D HDMI display can handle.

If a display had to support 3D over HDMI, then there would be no need to purchase a 3D-Displayer / 3D-Theatre. Wink

Kal

Jay Stone

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I should say is the Qumi can't do 120 hz over HDMI, only VGA. Sorry.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! Ok. You could always use an HDMI to VGA (RGB) converter but that's added cost. www.moomecard.com has the EXT-FULLHD.

Kal

Jay Stone

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! $280! I see some HDMI to VGA converters on Amazon for around $40. Is there a difference? What does it need to do besides convert the signal from HDMI to VGA?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay Stone wrote:
Wow! $280! I see some HDMI to VGA converters on Amazon for around $40. Is there a difference? What does it need to do besides convert the signal from HDMI to VGA?

It needs to do it well. Many of the cheap ones have issues:

- A soft picture (fuzzy).
- Floating black levels (improper clamping) where the colour black varies between black and grey.
- Improper colourspace conversion. The cheap ones don't differentiate between HDTV vs SDTV.
- And so on...

There's a lot going on in conversion...

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> 3D Products All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: