Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Pull-down screen in apartment, cant use screws/nails...?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crtsrcool

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Pull-down screen in apartment, cant use screws/nails...? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi! Smile

I've got a seven foot wide screen, just your standard retractable pull down. Right now I'm living in a house but I'm moving to an apartment that's got rules against using screws or nails in the walls. The screen isn't very heavy but I don't think tape or gum would be enough to keep it up, especially when I'm pulling it down.

Anyone with ideas for what I can do to keep using my screen? I'm no good at carpentry or anything like that, so I can't build anything. I don't want to dismantle my screen and take it out from its housing, either. Can't afford a new screen. :\

Thanks for your help!
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang it from the ceiling. It doesn't say anything about a couple of eye hooks in the ceiling. People put up plant hangers all the time. If it's a textured ceiling, it's hard to see the holes anyways.
crtsrcool

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Curt! Smile
Thanks! That'll be the first thing I try.
crtsrcool

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, one thought though, is this going to work out if I put the projector on (or very close) to the floor? Just thinking about the gap between the bottom of the screen and the level of the projector...

If I can't screw anything into the ceiling then what else should I consider?

Thank you!
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One guy that had the same problem welded together a massive stand. He was shooting across the short distance of a rectangular living room, had about a 60" wide screen, and the BArco 808 was just at the right throw if hte projector was mounted up against the back wall, with about 2" to spare. He welded together a giant 'U' frame, with one side of the U tucked under the couch, the bottom side of the U up against the wall, and the other side going across the ceiling. He had two of these, about 16" apart, all welded together. The way the weight worked, is that the part under the couch provided the stability, and he hung the projector over the couch. Worked like a hot damn!
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could hang the screen on chains hanging from the hooks to lower the screen.

You could also use a couple of light- or backdrop stands if you wanted something totally free-standing.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/253074-REG/Impact_LS_8A_Air_Cushioned_Light_Stand.html

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
crtsrcool

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback guys!
I like your ideas, and I think I got another one myself - instead of hanging it from the ceiling, what if I pulled the screen up from the floor? Then I could just use an adhesive hook on the wall since it would only be supporting the weight of the screen, all I need to do is screw the screen's housing to some kind of anchor not connected to the wall but near it. dunno exactly what i'd use, hopefully something a little more elegant than boards and bricks but not too much more expensive. Razz

Thanks again!
paw

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to suggest a pull up screen. I know Elite make one but it seems like you didn't want to spend money on a new screen.

Pull down screen have a spring that helps them rewind up. I'm not sure if an adhesive hook would hold it. Also, the ends of the batten (bottom of the screen) might droop. You could build a light weight frame to support both ends and skip the hook.

By the way, toothpaste (white) does a decent job of filling holes when you move out.

crtsrcool

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, all right, I figured my idea was probably too simple to be feasible. Razz
Thanks!

Yeah, I definitely can't buy a new screen; any extra money I can devote to the home theater fund will be saved-up to replace my projector someday, upgrade to a 9" model from Curt. Very Happy

Ecrabb, I'm not sure how I would use a stand like that for my screen? I mean I don't see how to connect it.
I'm using a Da-Lite screen if that makes any difference. It has two holes for screws at each end of the housing, plus two small plastic loops.

About those little plastic hoops - do you think there are any adhesive hooks on the market with enough hold to use them there?

I'm so awful at any kind of do-it-yourself/carpentry stuff... Razz
crtsrcool

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, sorry to double post but just wondering if anyone can please explain how to attach this ( http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/253074-REG/Impact_LS_8A_Air_Cushioned_Light_Stand.html ) to a screen? Thanks!
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked at painting the wall? It might be easier than going with a retractable screen.
crtsrcool

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! Probably a good idea for most situations, need to stick with the screen I have in my case.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there not a good wall to project on?
crtsrcool

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's basically it, but additionally I really, really like my screen. It's a Da-Lite I got on sale because of a ding and the gain and angles are just perfect for me. I'm not sure what model it is exactly but I know that something about it causes the the light to be reflected back towards the source, which is great for me because my projector is going near the floor or on a low table.

It's a good idea but I'm not going that route, definitely sticking with the screen.

Ecrabb suggested a few posts ago that I buy some kind of stand but never got back to me about how to actually use it? It just has a thread at the top, no clue where to go from there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: