Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Kal's basement Home Theatre/Bar/Brewery build 2.0
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jask

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Guys, 3M makes a clear antislip tape that would work great. You can soften it up and increases the bond strength of the glue if you warm it ( glue side ) with a heat gun after you peel the backing off.
View user's photo album (4 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jask. You mean stuff like this?:

Quote:
3M™ Safety-Walk™ Slip-Resistant Fine Resilient Tapes and Treads 220, Clear, 2 in x 60 ft, Roll, 2/case

"High-friction, fine-resilient textured, slip-resistant material. Reverse side coated with pressure-sensitive adhesive protected by a removable liner. For wet, barefoot traffic areas."

Adhesives: Yes
Application: Smooth Surface, Workplace Safety
Brand: Safety-Walk
Color: Clear
EU RoHS Compliant: Yes
Form Type: Roll
Length: 60 Linear Foot
Substrate Material: Vinyl
Surface Material: Vinyl
Tread Grade: Light Duty
Width: 2 Inch

Link: http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/SafetyWalk/Products/~/3M-Safety-Walk-Slip-Resistant-Fine-Resilient-Tapes-and-Treads-220-Clear-2-in-x-60-ft-Roll-2-case?N=4294699786+5148521&Nr=AND%28hrcy_id%3AGSHQHNKQNDgs_17T9C91N0B_N2RL3FHWVK_GPD0K8BC31gv%29&resultsPerPage=90&rt=d

They also have:

Quote:
3M™ Safety-Walk™ Slip-Resistant General Purpose Tapes and Treads 620, Clear, 2 in x 60 ft, Roll, 2/case

"This mineral-coated, slip-resistant material features a highly durable surface. Low-profile design helps reduce trip hazards."

Adhesives: Yes
Application: Smooth Surface, Workplace Safety
Brand : Safety-Walk
Color: Clear
EU RoHS Compliant: Yes
Form Type: Roll
Length: 60 Linear Foot
Substrate Material: Plastic Film
Surface Material: Mineral
Tread Grade: Heavy Duty
Width: 2 Inch

Link: http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/SafetyWalk/Products/~/3M-Safety-Walk-Slip-Resistant-General-Purpose-Tapes-and-Treads-620-Clear-2-in-x-60-ft-Roll-2-case?N=4294699872+5148521&Nr=AND%28hrcy_id%3AGSK5V6D4DHgs_BQCV67DRQ8_N2RL3FHWVK_GPD0K8BC31gv%29&rt=d

The first stuff doesn't seem as heavy duty (the surface that provides friction is simply vinyl instead of mineral) so it would be fine I think even though it says it's for wet, barefoot traffic areas. In fact, I think I'd prefer something that isn't little beads of sand or other minerals as I think over time they'd come off and scratch the step. Like I mentioned before, I'm not trying to make this step something that people can do jumping jacks on. It's simply too slippery now. I don't really need something that is rough textured like sandpaper. That would be overkill I think.

Have you used these products yourself? How clear/invisible is it?

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
jask

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used it and I think the first product is the one, it was textured but not like traction tape. It worked great on flat surface applications. it was noticable but not ugly or distracting- the base colour shows through and you know it is there when you look. 3M has really good customer support, if you contact them and ask for additional information on behalf of Electric brewery they with usually send you samples and datasheets.
View user's photo album (4 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jask. I may try a sample. Still considering spray on stuff a I think that would be less noticeable so if anyone has any experience with anti-slip sprays (on smooth wood stairs) please let me know.

Kal

VideoGrabber

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:

Everyone that sees it thinks it's a flat panel TV. Once I add some writing it should be more obvious what it is. Wink

Yeah, with a 2.75 aspect ratio. Smile Cool! Thumbs Up

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have recommendations for stores that ship GOM (Guilford of Maine) acoustically transparent fabric to Canada? I'm in Ottawa, Ontario specifically and highly doubt I can find it locally.

I'm looking for a metric butt-load of FR701 black (Style 2100-408) for panels around the screen and ~4 feet into the room, plus a bunch of samples to try and match the following Sherwin Williams SW7032 wall colour:

Is there anywhere where you can purchase a complete set of swatch samples? I can always do two separate orderes if needed.

As expected, trying to find a match through websites is somewhat impossible as both the paint colour and the GOM samples online vary depending on which site I visit. Real samples are needed.

Thanks!

Kal

mc86

TV/Projector: ECP 4500 (Vidikron box), ECP4500+, wanting 07MS/07MTS, evaluating pc soft-blend

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can find where to get it locally (to me) in Pittsburgh, I'd be happy to pickup your order and send it along. That is, providing a metric butt load can fit into boxes that a) I can pickup by myself and b) that fit in the back of the my big ole' suburban. I'd only ask you pay actual shipping costs and maybe knock a few bucks off a copy of your HT book.

If you are buying a metric BL of the stuff, can't samples be sen right to you? Crazy, if no.

Curious how GOM is of Michigan, not Maine...Hmm.

cheers,
Matt
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the offer Matt but I have a few US based mail forwarders I've used in the past that work well, just wondering if anyone in Canada has ordered direct as it's easier.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I needed to take some quick pictures of the basement as it sits today for our design/build contractor (http://www.justbasementsottawa.ca/) as they want to send in some stagers prior to their photoshoot.

The stagers need to see what's missing/what could be added from an aesthetic point of view ...

Some photos as it sits today:

They'll probably plunk down some vases here and there, a bowl of fruit on the bar, and all those decorator type things that decorators do. Wink

I'm not sure what (if anything) they'll do in the brewery. It's definitely an 'odd' room to most people so I'm really curious to see how they approach that.

On a completely different front:

I've collected a whole bunch of samples for doing accoustic panels around the screen and for the home theater side wall (the black ones shown above are temporary ones from my last basement).

I think we've picked out what we like (going with flat black around the screen and then as close a match to the side wall colour as possible for some panels at the first reflection point - if needed).

They're from the FR701 series of Guilford of Maine ( http://www.guilfordofmaine.com/patterns/2100 ).
They're being used because they're known to be very accoustically transparent with almost a burlap type look if you get up close.

Here's the black: http://www.guilfordofmaine.com/swatches/2100-408

I most likely won't have time to get that done before the photoshoot (and don't want it to be half done when they arrive), so for the shoot the area around the screen will be blank which to me as a home theater guy just seems all wrong. Hopefully nobody into HT will see the pictures. Wink

Kal

zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fantastic Kal - absolutely fantastic.
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, the basement turned out BEAUTIFULLY, Kal. I'll certainly be putting it on the "basements I love" list for when we get around to buying our next house and finishing/renovating the basement.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words guys! We're really enjoying the space.

Will your next basement include a brewery as well SC? Wink

Kal

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What no disco ball, wood paneling, and beaded drapes. Tsk, tsk Very Happy

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
mc86

TV/Projector: ECP 4500 (Vidikron box), ECP4500+, wanting 07MS/07MTS, evaluating pc soft-blend

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.

Can you talk a bit about the cables coming out of the control box in the brewery? I presume you couldn't integrate the control box into localized/specific outlets on the wall?

Matt
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mc86 wrote:
Can you talk a bit about the cables coming out of the control box in the brewery? I presume you couldn't integrate the control box into localized/specific outlets on the wall?

No. There's too much in it:

I could certainly hide the cable a bit better however. You're right. Some sort of cable chases or such. At the old house I used simple clips:

Complete details as well as how to build the whole brewery from scratch (including the control panel) can be found at my other site if you're curious:

http://www.TheElectricBrewery.com

The control panel build instructions start here:

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/control-panel-part-1

Kal

Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked wow Neutral super wow Neutral Wink
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The architectural photographers from Doublespace Photography just left ... They were hired by our basement design/build company (Just Basements Ottawa) to take photos of the basement.

Really nice couple (Amanda Large & Younes Bounhar) that are truly passionate about their work and photography.
You can check out some of their work here: http://www.doublespacephoto.com/

It was interesting to see that that use the same Phase One Capture One Pro software I'm familiar with to develop the raw photos they take with a Nikon D800 DSLR. A smattering of different lenses are used, with a maximum length of about 19mm - they say that much wider (they can go to 12mm) tends to 'fisheye' too much. Some of the photos were taken in more than one piece and will then later be stitched together.

What was neat to see is that they shoot with the camera tethered to the laptop (something my older camera doesn't support) so that you see the pictures come up as you take them in resonably high resolution so that you can see how things look very quickly. At 36 mexapixel, the RAW files coming out of the camera are huge (up to ~80mb in size).

Taking the RAW photos is just the start. You then then to colour balance them, set exposure, fix issues, and so forth. Then you Photoshop (if required). Our biofuel fireplace ran out of fuel near the end of the shoot and they weren't able to get all the fireplace shots they where hoping for but I was told "No problem - We can Photoshop in some fire... fire is easy.". Wink

The final photos are forthcoming so I'll be posting them here. I'm curious to see how they turn out and what kinds of angles they used as I had a hell of time trying to get some of the rooms to work right (especially the bathroom).

Kal

thenewf

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the basement. Fantastic job. Where did you get the Aluminum channel for the panels? Or did that come from the cupboard installer?
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really interesting how many people have home theatres. That's of course the first thing I looked at when browsing those pix, but I don't think any one of them got it right. Too many Bose cubes. Smile

In 'Just Basements' 'Project 7', can anyone tell me what power amp is in the rack with the massive VU meters? Never seen that one before... I don't think...
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thenewf wrote:
Love the basement. Fantastic job. Where did you get the Aluminum channel for the panels? Or did that come from the cupboard installer?

Thanks for the compliments!

Do you mean this channel here?:

It's all part of what the custom woodworker/cabinet maker supplied. I'm not sure where he sources it.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 16 of 19
Jump to: