Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Kal's basement Home Theatre/Bar/Brewery build 2.0
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Err, you're right. It's probably closer to R20 given that that's what was in there before. I'm actually not sure what the walls are so I'll remove any mention of R-rating from my previous post. All I know is that there's a thick layer of green goop on the walls now and even more in the rim joists/headers. Wink

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The entire basement ceiling has now been insulated.

The smell of plywood has been replaced with the smell of burnt cotton candy/caramel that is typical of fiberglass insulation.
(It may look like cotton candy but that doesn't mean you can eat it). Wink

Plumbing inspection is going to be scheduled for Wednesday.

A few more odds and ends to get done in the meantime and then it's on to drywall hopefully by the end of this week.

Kal

dturco

TV/Projector: Runco DLP VX-3000i Marquee 9500 parts doner

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal why are there furring strips run on the ceiling? Are you doing a drop type ceiling? If that's the case Ok but for drywall on the ceiling you've got a big, no no. They're to far apart and there's no strips at the edges either.

http://www.hulu.com/firefly
WTS

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all that spray foam, what kind of gasing off is taking place, for how long will it gas off and what chemicals are gasing off.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dturco wrote:
Kal why are there furring strips run on the ceiling? Are you doing a drop type ceiling? If that's the case Ok but for drywall on the ceiling you've got a big, no no. They're to far apart and there's no strips at the edges either.

We're drywalling the ceiling. The amount of furring strips (strapping) is being doubled as I type this. They install half to make installation of the insulation easier, then do the rest.

WTS wrote:
With all that spray foam, what kind of gasing off is taking place, for how long will it gas off and what chemicals are gasing off.

No idea. We were told that it's best we don't be in the house while it's being applied so we left for the day (and evening) and kept all windows in the house open for 3+ days (they're still open now). For the first 3 days I installed a fan in the basement to push air out the window.

This is the product used: http://www.demilec.com/english/heatlok-soya

Technical datasheet: http://www.demilec.com/themes/forms/data/TDS_HEATLOK_SOYA_Demilec.pdf
Material safety data sheet: http://www.demilec.com/themes/forms/msds/1-Demilec_Rigid_Foam_HEATLOK_SOYA_Ang.pdf

From what I've read, It's considered one of the greenest (if not the greenest) products sold in Canada. It's mostly made from recycled plastic bottles, soya beans, and water.

It's a 2-product blend that cures within minutes. You could still smell it in the basement when they finished around 4pm. By 8pm all smell was gone but I kept windows open and fans going for 3+ days.

The guy who applied it was wearing a mask but his helper who was going along behind him cleaning up wore nothing special. (Not sure I'd have done that myself).

We're also interested in making sure that the carpet and paint used are low or zero VOC (Volatile Organic Compound).

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Copper's gotten really expensive.

Just got the detailed electrician's bill for the rough wiring and was surprised that the materials cost was higher than the labour cost!

Romex wiring used:

1800' of 14/2 (standard 15A circuit stuff)
50' of 14/3 (for a few 3-way switches)
90' of 12/2 (for two 20A home theater circuits)
35' of 6/3 (for the brewery control panel - oversized in case I ever decide to run a 50A panel instead of 30A)
60' of 8/3 (for the sauna heater)

Total: 2035 feet

Kal

macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we guessing this one. I'll say........ mmmmmmm.... $1200.00..... 1075.00 first came to mind.

If I was doing it myself around 700.00 to 750.00
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were just guessing at the cost of the raw romex wire I listed then yup, that's a pretty darned good guess!

Kal

WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love how those studs have been treated in the urinal plumbing. As if to say, "we don't need no stinking studs!"
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our building/plumbing inspection yesterday. Everything went very well. The inspector didn't find any issues at all which is sigh of relief.

While we're not doing anything wrong on purpose, in some cases we're pushing the code into grey areas where it could possibly be interpreted different ways, depending on the inspector. The use of sprayfoam is a good example. While it's been around for nearly 20 years I'm told that it's only recently become allowed in the Ontario building code for residential use. Because of this many inspectors are still trying to wrap their heads around the proper usage of sprayfoam.

The only thing that was questioned was whether some sort of special barrier was required between the electrical boxes and sprayfoam, but after a quick confirmation turns out that nothing special is required. (I'm assuming that sprayfoam is more combustable than regular fiberglass insulation).

Most of the interior walls that will be insulated have now been done as well and many small things were finished in anticipation of drywall.

Back of the sauna:

DVD area:

Bathroom:

I'll be good to cover all this up with drywall. The pastel pink & green colour combination really doesn't work for me. I'm having flashbacks of Grandma's house where she used have bowls of pillow mints all over the place:

The alumimum vapour barrier was installed in the sauna:

In the brewery some of the plumbing comes very close to the edge of the studs so protector plates were installed in some spots:

The protector plate is to protect wiring or plumbing in the wall from future screws/nails from the drywall installers (low risk of happening since they see what's there before they hang the sheets) and home owners hanging things (more likely).

A cold air return was installed beside what will eventually be the home theater equipment rack:

You normally want a basement cold air return near the bottom of the basement stairs to pick up the cold air that naturally falls down the stairs so this is a logical place to put it. It's also directly accessible to the main cold air return. To keep noise down an insulated flex-duct was installed instead of using rigid sheet metal duct. There's another return near the bar area that was installed that took considerably more twists and turns. A third is in the mechanical room.

All of the remaining ceiling strapping has been installed to get ready for drywall:

Previously only about half was done to make installation of the insulation easier. I (carefully) moved the copper natural gas line over 4-6" (the snake like pipe in the right of the picture above). Now it's directly between two pieces of strapping instead of right up against one. I figured it was just an accident waiting to happen by an overzealous drywall installer.

Today drywall was delivered and has been spread out to various areas:

It actually doesn't look like much when it's all spread out like that. We have:

- 21 sheets regular 1/2" x 4' x 8'
- 27 sheets regular 1/2" x 4' x 9'
- 10 sheets regular 1/2" x 4' x 10'
- 35 sheets regular 1/2" x 4' x 12'
- 2 sheets regular 3/8" x 4' x 8' (I'm curious what this thinner stuff is for - maybe niches?)
- 7 sheets moisture resistant 1/2" x 4' x 8' (bathroom)
- 5 sheets moisture resistant 1/2" x 4' x 10' (bathroom)
- 4 sheets cement board 1/2" x 4' x 8' (shower)

We're not using moisture resistant drywall (the green stuff) in the brewery as I'm treating it like a kitchen and tiling the entire floor and the wall where the kettles/hood will be used. Just like a kitchen, there should not be any excess moisture in the air that would condense like you may have in a bathroom because of the shower. My brewery hood vent is directly above the kettles and has worked very well in the past to keep all moisture out of the room.

A couple of pictures of the brewery fan exhaust system (6" duct):

The air inlet from outside (also 6" duct), similar to how you'd feed an HRV:

An adjustable ceiling diffuser that can be turned to open/close will be used. Looks a bit like this:

I'll manually open it when I turn on the hood fan at the start of brew day. We talked about an automated damper with the wall switch that will control the fan (it would open when the fan turns on) but that just seemed like extra complexity/money for little benefit. The wall switch to turn on the hood fan sits directly below the adjustable ceiling diffuser.

Drywall starts Tuesday. Should take about a week to board/mud/sand. This will most definitely be the messiest part.

Kal

HK-Steve

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500, Epson 8100

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal,
Thanks for posting your build, it is great to follow your progress.

Definately a reference thread for information, planning and photos of each step,
plus solutions to any problems.

Also to your attention to detail, to get it right, the first time. Congrats.

Cheers

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife's been busy picking out few extra missing pieces that will go in the basement. Lots of hours went into finding something that met the style we're going for and in the budget we want to stay within. Everyone has different styles but luckily both my wife and I have the same tastes. When we don't, she's right. Wink

Wall art for the lounge:

"Dragon's Breath" Modern Metal Wall Art Decor Sculpture

Lounge chairs:

Barcelona chair - Black Leather

Lounge pendant light:

Eurofase 12531-035 Dervish 5-Light Pendant Lighting, Satin Nickel

Bar stools:

Nuevo Living - Portland Adjustable Stool - Black Top Grain Italian Leather

Shower tower:

Fresca FSP8006BS Brushed Silver Verona Five Handle Shower System with Rainshower Head, Four Massaging Jets and Hand Shower

Bar fridge (beverage center):

Marvel 6GARM-BB-O-L Refrigerator 24W, Solid Overlay, Left Hinge

Kal

paw

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal
Why did you pick a Marvel frig over Uline or other high end brand?

mc86

TV/Projector: ECP 4500 (Vidikron box), ECP4500+, wanting 07MS/07MTS, evaluating pc soft-blend

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't ask people to remove shoes in your home, I'd worry a bit about the chrome on the base of the barstool showing dirt, scratching a bit, etc. Also, with that large flat base, will they be hard tom move/scoot if needed? Just some thoughts.

Matt
VideoGrabber

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mc86 wrote:
If you don't ask people to remove shoes in your home, I'd worry a bit about the chrome on the base of the barstool showing dirt, scratching a bit, etc. Also, with that large flat base, will they be hard tom move/scoot if needed? Just some thoughts.

Of course guests will remove their shoes in his home. What are ya, a barbarian or somethin? Laughing

Last edited by VideoGrabber on Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and there will be a selection of disposable slippers to offer guests (ikea - 3 dollars a pair).
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paw wrote:
Kal
Why did you pick a Marvel frig over Uline or other high end brand?

Most price. Many of the other high end units are double the price it seems. Uline wasn't one that we had readily available to us at the place that we usually purchase our appliances.

Beverage centers run the gamut of prices. It was very confusing to research. They seem to either be really cheaply made (and still expensive for what you get), or really well made and also really expensive.

Our requirements:

- A built-in model (zero clearance)
- Cool to at least 40F or lower
- Not feel junky
- Under counter size
- Not too much wine storage (some are 50% wine storage which we won't want)

The low end models from Danby, Magic Chef, GE, Haier, and so on starting at around $200 are not built-ins. They require that you leave space around them as the evaporator coils are in the back. Some people will cut holes in the ajoining cabinetry to allow more airflow but I think that's just asking for long term issues. They also don't chill down the levels that most people are used to for their fridge (around 38F): Most only go as low as around 42-43F. To make matters worse, a lot of them just seem really poorly built: Doors that don't seal right, just generally junky feeling.

To get into a a built-in model as we wanted you have to go to at least a middle end unit which tend to be in the $1000-2000 range. This seems to include GE Monogram, Marvel, Kitchenaid, Vinotemp, U-Line, Avanti, Viking, Maytag, Danby Silhouette, etc. Most do not go cold enough, only as low as 42-43F (like the GE Monogram). It may be enough (they say a drinks only fridge don't need to be as cold as a regular fridge) but I don't really like the idea of running anything at its rated limit.

A lot of these middle end brands are what I'd consider "normal" brands that have been "fancied up" to compete in the luxury market. Danby Silhouette and GE Monogram are good examples. I don't like the idea of buying the "best" of any company that is different from what they're used to making as skills/technology trickle down, rarely ever up. Not to pick on thes two necessarily, but whenever a manufacturer tries to play in an area they're not used to it's a risk. It's usually the same designers/engineers/assembly people that are responsible for making a $100 fridge as a $1000-1500 fridge.

Marvel makes a bunch of higher end stuff but probably not quite as high as the real luxury brands like Sub Zero and Perlick. You could argue that U-Line, Viking Professional, Liebherr, and a few others play in this area too. The Marvel stuff starts at around $1500 vs. the $2000-3000+ for the other luxury brands. I'd love to have Sub Zero in there but couldn't justify the cost. It was almost twice the price. I liked the idea of buying the lowest end Marvel instead of (say) the highest end GE or Danby.

Marvel is part if the AGA/Marvel/Northland/Heartland family of brands. Many would probably know it better by the AGA name.

mc86 wrote:

Valid points. 99% of the time shoes are off. I don't remember ever having a party where shoes are on but sometimes if women are wearing fancy shoes/boots that are part of the outfit I could see them staying on (or separate shoes/boots brought). Most of the time it's pretty low key, shoes always off.

They may get scuffed over time but being under the bar overhang down low it's probably not something that would be noticed too much. They rotate so I'm hoping they won't need to be moved much at all. We'll see!

Kal

WTS

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you plan on making an access panel for that exhaust fan because dollars to donuts it will require replacing years down the road and probably sooner than you'd think or like.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTS wrote:
I hope you plan on making an access panel for that exhaust fan because dollars to donuts it will require replacing years down the road and probably sooner than you'd think or like.

Yup.

To get access to install the hood to the threaded rod (and if ever the fan and/or ductwork needs to be replaced) two
14x14" flushmount drywall access doors from Acudor.ca will be installed in the dropped bulkhead that look like this:

There's also a cutout spring fit panel that will be installed underneath the bulkhead all the way to the left for a hose bib shutoff. That will likely prove useful if ever ductwork needs to be replaced.

Kal

mc86

TV/Projector: ECP 4500 (Vidikron box), ECP4500+, wanting 07MS/07MTS, evaluating pc soft-blend

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaphod wrote:
and there will be a selection of disposable slippers to offer guests (ikea - 3 dollars a pair).

Thumbs Up
We do that too -- my kids made Guide to Slippers sign as they are color coded by size. Our house is hardly nice/clean-enough to bother at the moment (and we are shoe barbarians a lot of the time), but have found people WANT to remove shoes and feel badly if we can't offer (especially in winter).

I've seen your attention to detail, Kal -- didn't mean to be insulting so much as to imagine you'd be gracious enough not to say something to the perchance jerkwater that came in and didn't THINK. On a related note, I'm surprised at the number of nice homes I've been in where people trash their own stuff.

I have to say, I learn a lot from watching how much thought so many put into projects like this...I am guilty of under-planning!

Matt
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 9 of 19
Jump to: