Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Output resolutions of these boxes

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> 3D Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Output resolutions of these boxes Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi everyone, i have a question or 2 about the output resolutions these devices can do, because i find all the info ive read some what inconcise.

Can i output 1920x1080i @ 60Hz??

Can i output 1280x720p @ 72 or 75 Hz??
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 2D all resolutions are supported as they're simply passed through.

For 3D the output resolution is either 720p @ 60HZ or 720p at 120HZ, depending on your TV/Display capabilities. There's a DIP switch to set this.

All HDTVs that support 720p @ 50Hz also support 720p / 60Hz.

See any of our product order pages for 3D-VIP products for more information, for example:
http://www.curtpalme.com/3DTheatre.shtm

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive read the pages yes.

Why is there no other output resolutions or refresh rates???

Will there be in the future?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
Ive read the pages yes.

Why is there no other output resolutions or refresh rates???

I'm assuming you mean for 3D.

Because to do 120Hz 720p is the highest that the HDMI standard will support.
HDMI does not suppor 1080p/120.

Kal

CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that is a very safe assumption, since it passes through the 2D signals, the output would be somewhat irrelevent for all but 3D.

I wouldnt bother with 120Hz even if i could, looks exactly the same as 85Hz to me. I was doing 1080i at that refresh, largely cause i couldnt get the video drivers to give me anything other than 50, 59, 60, and 120... Which i would put down to the EDID in the MOOME.

I mean OTHER refreshes, like 65,70,72,75,85, 100?? Ive used my 3D glasses at every one of those rates, and i dont reckon any of them had an issue. 72 and 75 seemed to be about the best i reckon.

Im contemplating buying either a Displayer or Theatre, but id like to see alot more options for video output, at least for refresh if nothing else.

What has me abit stumped is WHY 60 and 120? From all ive read, 3D bluray refresh is not a multiple of those, which is why id like to use 72 or 75.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt bother with 120Hz even if i could, looks exactly the same as 85Hz to me. I was doing 1080i at that refresh, largely cause i couldnt get the video drivers to give me anything other than 50, 59, 60, and 120... Which i would put down to the EDID in the MOOME.

I mean OTHER refreshes, like 65,70,72,75,85, 100?? Ive used my 3D glasses at every one of those rates, and i dont reckon any of them had an issue. 72 and 75 seemed to be about the best i reckon.

Im contemplating buying either a Displayer or Theatre, but id like to see alot more options for video output, at least for refresh if nothing else.

What has me abit stumped is WHY 60 and 120? From all ive read, 3D bluray refresh is not a multiple of those, which is why id like to use 72 or 75.

Because 60 and 120 are what most (digital) displays support that people use with these 3D-VIP products.

Every display that supports 720p does so at 60Hz so that's one's obvious. Output 60Hz is easy. The 24 -> 60 and 30 -> 60 framerate conversion is well known and easy to do.

You need 60Hz per eye to avoid any chance of flicker so that's why 120Hz. It's exactly double so again, easy to do.

Anything other than that would require a video processor and would likely make the box 4 times as expensive.

The refresh rates you mention are non-standard.

Kal

CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:

Every display that supports 720p does so at 60Hz so that's one's obvious. Output 60Hz is easy. The 24 -> 60 and 30 -> 60 framerate conversion is well known and easy to do.
Kal

Thats not true. I have an LG rear pro TV here that will not take 720p at 60Hz, however it will at 50Hz. This is how the video processor within the set is configured, and it cant be changed.
kal wrote:

You need 60Hz per eye to avoid any chance of flicker so that's why 120Hz.

Who told you that? Have you tested this???

I have used my nVIDIA shutter glasses from 65Hz up to 170Hz, and the flicker was gone at 72Hz. You see the monitor flicker at 65Hz with or without 3D ( the XG i have does not flicker @ 65Hz on either 2 or 3 D.... ). At 72Hz or more, there was no flicker i could see. It was very comfortable to watch.

kal wrote:

Anything other than that would require a video processor and would likely make the box 4 times as expensive.

Its very expensive as it is, what is in there if its not some sort of video processor? How could it take the standard output from the bluray player and convert it to 720p @ 60Hz without a video processor?

kal wrote:

Yeah i know, but tell me what about this device IS standard? It is allready doing some processing and conversion.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats not true. I have an LG rear pro TV here that will not take 720p at 60Hz, however it will at 50Hz. This is how the video processor within the set is configured, and it cant be changed.

Strange. The engineers at 3D-VIP I deal were pretty ademant that all 720p displays can also do 60Hz.

kal wrote:
You need 60Hz per eye to avoid any chance of flicker so that's why 120Hz.

Who told you that? Have you tested this???

I don't need to test it though I do have a lot of experience with it. Exactly at what rate flicker will be noticeable to someone varies based on:

- The person's eyes (everyone is different)
- The display technology used
- How bright the image is

60Hz is what was used historically with CRT based TVs around the world, with 50Hz also used in some spots. So that's what every single source devices outputs as the standard refresh rate.

Quote:
I have used my nVIDIA shutter glasses from 65Hz up to 170Hz, and the flicker was gone at 72Hz. You see the monitor flicker at 65Hz with or without 3D ( the XG i have does not flicker @ 65Hz on either 2 or 3 D.... ). At 72Hz or more, there was no flicker i could see. It was very comfortable to watch.

I don't disagree. But again that's you, with your setup/display.

Quote:
kal wrote:

Its very expensive as it is, what is in there if its not some sort of video processor? How could it take the standard output from the bluray player and convert it to 720p @ 60Hz without a video processor?

Ok, let me rephrase: Having an video processor with adjustable resolution/refresh rate output would be very complicated/expensive. It would basically be a full blown scaler.

Quote:
kal wrote:

Yeah i know, but tell me what about this device IS standard? It is allready doing some processing and conversion.

I don't know what else to tell you. Adding user adjustable resolution/refresh rate into a box like this would be very expensive because of the engineering required. That's just the facts.

I agree it would be a nifty feature and add a lot of flexibilty.
I think it would be crazy to do as nobody would buy it because of the cost.

Kal

CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are probably right with newer displays, but here in Australia the standard refresh is still 50Hz on all broadcast signals as it is or was through a very large part of the world, and hence, vast majority of low to mid range TVs were only capable of 50Hz, some capable of 60Hz but only at some resolutions, basically cause you couldnt go to a shop here and buy an item that output a 60Hz signal as standard ( with the exception of a couple game consoles ) Pushing a 60Hz signal into this set at certain resolutions makes an unwatchable picture in most cases!! My Harman/Kardon receiver is the same, but wont take anything 60Hz unless its above 1280x720p, itll pass it through, but at and below that, it tries to convert it, and fails, which cant be turned off.

Its not a huge big deal though, i can swap a couple plugs around easy enough Wink

Im glad you agree it would be a good feature to have, cause that is one of the only things holding me back from purchase at this point!!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are probably right with newer displays, but here in Australia the standard refresh is still 50Hz on all broadcast signals as it is or was through a very large part of the world, and hence, vast majority of low to mid range TVs were only capable of 50Hz, some capable of 60Hz but only at some resolutions, basically cause you couldnt go to a shop here and buy an item that output a 60Hz signal as standard ( with the exception of a couple game consoles ) Pushing a 60Hz signal into this set at certain resolutions makes an unwatchable picture in most cases!! My Harman/Kardon receiver is the same, but wont take anything 60Hz unless its above 1280x720p, itll pass it through, but at and below that, it tries to convert it, and fails, which cant be turned off.

That's all true at that standard SD resolution but with HD my understanding (based on what the 3D-VIP engineers told me) is that all displays capable of 720p will support 60Hz, including displays sold in countries that originally ran SD at 50Hz.

I originally brought it up with them when I first started selling the product because I wanted to confirm.

Kal

CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah mate ive tried it here ages ago and it didnt work on this set, 50Hz did, that was the output from my H/K internal Faroudja processor, component out to the set, 60Hz from the bluray player resulted in the picture displaying cut in half and sides swapped for about 2 seconds, then rolling down in one piece, before repeating the same again. 50Hz out worked from the Bluray player also.

The same set also has issues with 60Hz at 240p, yet is fine with 50Hz, and fine with 480i 60Hz.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> 3D Products All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: