Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Turntables - Are they spinning their way back?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
it doesn't matter, this will all be sorted once I finish my list Laughing
View user's photo album (2 photos)
Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in cinci this week. The gaps in my RS500 list are dwindling. Tonight's per diem:

99 Sly and the family stone - there's a riot going on
115 Who sell out
180 Rolling Stones now
189 Quicksilver- happy trails
389 don Henley - end of the innocence
444 WAR the world is a ghetto
489 kiss destroyer
Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonight's finds:
291 talking heads 77
348 muddy waters at Newport
462 REM Document
491 Albert King born under a bad sign
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarence wrote:

I saw BB King from about the 5th row at a small (2200 seat) theater in Ft Collins about 30 yrs ago. His warm-up act was Albert King, a 65-yr-old dude with an electric-blue flying-V guitar. "Who the F is this?" I wondered. And Albert absolutely blew BB's sh*t away. Damn that guy could play.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow Clarence those are some really interesting finds, well all except Kiss Destroyer Wink

garyfritz wrote:
Clarence wrote:

I saw BB King from about the 5th row at a small (2200 seat) theater in Ft Collins about 30 yrs ago. His warm-up act was Albert King, a 65-yr-old dude with an electric-blue flying-V guitar. "Who the F is this?" I wondered. And Albert absolutely blew BB's sh*t away. Damn that guy could play.
you got lucky, he passed away in 1992.

Remember when you could go and see a great concert for 50 bucks? sure miss those days
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never saw Albert King, but BB was still awesome. I saw him in the 2700-seat Des Moines Civic Center in probably 1993 or 1994. It was an awesome show. Sad that he's gone.

It was an impulse purchase, but I grabbed Depeche Mode Black Celebration for my wife for a fun Christmas gift she wouldn't expect. It's her all-time favorite band, and is in my opinion one of their best - and from 1986, our prime high-school listening years. It was from a "hipster" retail store, so not cheap, but surprisingly less than Amazon. It was a new 180-gram, and it was a Christmas present, so I wasn't that worried about the price. Haven't cracked it open to listen yet.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
I never saw Albert King, but BB was still awesome. I saw him in the 2700-seat Des Moines Civic Center in probably 1993 or 1994. It was an awesome show. Sad that he's gone.

It was an impulse purchase, but I grabbed Depeche Mode Black Celebration for my wife for a fun Christmas gift she wouldn't expect. It's her all-time favorite band, and is in my opinion one of their best - and from 1986, our prime high-school listening years. It was from a "hipster" retail store, so not cheap, but surprisingly less than Amazon. It was a new 180-gram, and it was a Christmas present, so I wasn't that worried about the price. Haven't cracked it open to listen yet.

SC
YOU listen to vinyl, aya-yay what's the world coming to? Next thing you'll be driving a Prius and smoking pot Wink

I didn't know Albert King played with stevie ray, obviously wrote "Born under a bad sign" which I thought previously was a SVR original

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/albert-king-mn0000617844/discography

Last edited by draganm on Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dam, Born Under a Bad Sign original 1967 version on the Stax label, will set you back some bucks Shocked

http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?currency=USD&master_id=222239&ev=mb&year=1967
Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

draganm wrote:
wow Clarence those are some really interesting finds, well all except Kiss Destroyer Wink

Yeah, that's what I like about the RS500 list. I've bought several records that I might normally pass on and I've enjoyed almost all of them. It has helped break me out of the same old MP3s that I was so burned out on for the past 20 years.

Kiss was funny because my wife has always said that the makeup always scared her and still does. Kind of like an evil clown phobia.

But I'd still put 2 SRV albums above Kiss on my top 500.

draganm wrote:
dam, Born Under a Bad Sign original 1967 version on the Stax label, will set you back some bucks Shocked

http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?currency=USD&master_id=222239&ev=mb&year=1967

Yeah, I didn't get an original version. My copy has a UPC which is my first check.

But I did get a first pressing of a Stevie Wonder album that had Braille. I thought that was cool. Reissues don't. And the Who album was original. And my Zeppelin ITTOD had the original watercolor liner.

The record store last night had an original of Replacements - Let It Be (#241) for $50. Hard to find. I was tempted. But $50 was too rich for my blood since I already had a pile picked out for my per diem. But new releases sell for $25 so $50 isn't toooo ridiculous, especially since I really like the Replacements.

One record store had a beat up original copy of the Clash and a minty reprint for the same price. I really Preferred the original, but it had one really deep scratch so I decided on the reprint.

Sometimes I'm surprised by albums that are harder to find and more expensive than you would expect. The don Henley album was one. Seems like it would be common and cheap but when I found a minty copy for for 5.99 this week I was thrilled. A lot more fun to find them in a record shop than online IMHO.

Dylan highway 61 and blonde on blonde remain hard to find. And Stones' Exile. And VU. And Bowie.

But the hunt is half the fun.

No new additions tonight... I spent my per diem on sushi Wink
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarence wrote:
Kiss was funny because my wife has always said that the makeup always scared her and still does. Kind of like an evil clown phobia.
But I'd still put 2 SRV albums above Kiss on my top 500.
LOL, I only knew one really hard-core Kiss fan and he was murdered by his wife. I guess you have to give them kudo's for being the first to dress up like crazy clowns and put on shows that were much more about pyrotechnics , costumes, and loud obnoxious concerts than they were about music.

Clarence wrote:
But I did get a first pressing of a Stevie Wonder album that had Braille. I thought that was cool. Reissues don't. And the Who album was original. And my Zeppelin ITTOD had the original watercolor liner.
The record store last night had an original of Replacements - Let It Be (#241) for $50. Hard to find. I was tempted. But $50 was too rich for my blood since I already had a pile picked out for my per diem. But new releases sell for $25 so $50 isn't toooo ridiculous, especially since I really like the Replacements.
finding a mint first pressing for cheap is really exciting,I mean you pull it out of the bin, you know it's worth a hell of a lot more, and it really gets the pulse racing. This hasn't happened very often but I don't go as much as you do.

Clarence wrote:
Dylan highway 61 and blonde on blonde remain hard to find. And Stones' Exile. And VU. And Bowie.

But the hunt is half the fun.
No new additions tonight... I spent my per diem on sushi Wink
the really popular stuff is always going to be hard to find a mint copy, much less a first pressing. If there's nothing in the bins I want, A good meal is a better choice than dragging home random vinyl just to hoard it.
Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
Clarence wrote:

Wow, listening to it now. This is a great album!

Updated my RS500 progress:
http://loco-photo.com/rs500.htm
(I add the album cover to the list when I add the LP to my shelf).
I'm at the point now to where I'm going to create a list of the one's I don't have. Shorter. And it'll make it easier for me to visually recognize the covers on my future hunts.

I went to a new nearby vinyl shop today. Lots of good stuff. I'm going to take a stack to trade from my duplicates or when I found in much better condition.

My wife has a co-worker that has 3 college age kids... they all asked for turntables for Christmas.

And I read that Sony's biggest draw at CES is for 3 new turntables.
Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the halfway point, but still 229 to go:
http://loco-photo.com/rs500.htm

The hunt for remaining albums is getting harder and harder (some "Top Albums" are CD only collections, some are out of print, and a lot are available as new reissues, but that doesn't seem as legit to me as finding a used original copy in good condition).

Bowie albums took a spike.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarence wrote:
My wife has a co-worker that has 3 college age kids... they all asked for turntables for Christmas.
in a fast moving world where everything's instant gratification with zero substance, fake and phony are the rule. A Vinyl record is still real, and kids are smart enough to spot it.

Clarence wrote:
And I read that Sony's biggest draw at CES is for 3 new turntables.
another " me too" corporation trying to jump on the band-wagon. Where was Sony when the music died, oh yeah, they were killing it and drooling off how much money they were going to make off that 25 cent CD they were selling for $15. F-them, another soul-less Corporation with no vision or ethics.
Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found 4 Bowie LPs today at my local thrift store:
Station to Station (#324 on RS500)
Never Let Me Down (still sealed!)
Young Americans
Tonight
nettwerkjohn

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarence

Have you tried gemm?

I got origibal pressings of jimmy buffets son of a son of a sailor and the ost of escape from New York, brand new, landed to nz for about $20 each...
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nettwerkjohn wrote:
Clarence

Have you tried gemm?

I got origibal pressings of jimmy buffets son of a son of a sailor and the ost of escape from New York, brand new, landed to nz for about $20 each...

looks like GEMM went under about 6 months ago?

Quote:
For those of you who don't know this site has been in financial trouble for some time, today the website and database have disappeared.

If you are one of the many sellers owed money by GEMM do not expect to see it, Site owner Roger Raffee had emailed several people stating that he intends to file for bankruptcy and close GEMM down

It is a sad moment, GEMM was the first music marketplace, dating back to 1995, a true pioneer site, under better management it might well have become an internet giant and for a while it did very well peaking around 2000 with a turnover in the millions.

Roger fell out with co-founder and developer Jim Hall, Jim was ousted and no one managed the site's creaking infrastructure, GEMM was simply overtaken by sites like musicstack and Discogs, sales declined rapidly.

GEMM took the full payment from buyers, removed its commission and then remitted to sellers, for over 2 years the delay in paying the sellers has been growing and earlier this year the site ceased taking money, referring buyers to pay the seller directly by Paypal, payments of arrears pretty much stopped.
Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made some shelves tonight...

yesterday's plan...

tonight's progress...
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarence wrote:
I made some shelves tonight...

yesterday's plan...

tonight's progress...
I'm guessing you used a kit since you did this in 24 hours right?
Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IKEA cubes, drawers, and countertop. Plus HD trim and crown molding.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to build something like this. Just not sure exactly the type of hinges they use to balance the weight of the records.

http://shop.symbolaudio.com/collections/aero-audio-entertainment-cabinets/products/aero-51-lp-storage-cabinet

But this system is really cool !!! Not sure how much but I always wanted to build a console with my vintage gear.

http://shop.symbolaudio.com/pages/modern-record-console

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 13 of 14
Jump to: