Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Turntables - Are they spinning their way back?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Turntables - Are they spinning their way back? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I don't know if its just me, but lately it seems everyone who doesnt have a turntable wants one, or is getting one. In the past week alone I have had 3 different people ask me about turntables, and a couple of them want me to find one for them.

So whats with the return of the table? Do the younger generation of todays group find them fascinating because they can watch an arm move onto an album and set its microscopic needle down and start playing music? Or...

Are people actually starting to give a damn as far as how their music's sound quality sounds? I'd like to beleive its the ladder; and that people are finally fed up with the digital garbage you can get for free or next to nothing... Don't get me wrong, MP3s are great for portability, taking an MP3 player with you is a lot easier than using a discman or walkman etc... (and certainly a recordman, if such things were to exist Wink )

So whats your opinion on this?? Very Happy

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think people are returning to doing things physically instead if just pushing buttons.

there is something more intimate about playing a record. Getting up sliding it out of the sleeve. Gently holding it by the edges as you try to
line up the spindle hole and spindle. then picking up the tone arm and gently lowering it to the run in groove and then going back to the
listening chair and reading the liner notes or lyrics to the song on the album cover or sleeve.

"Light a candle when listening to Tommy"

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least 50% of the used older stereo receivers that I sell on CL start with the question: Does it have a phono input;?
RayN999

TV/Projector: Sony VPL-VW60 and Toshiba 65H84 CRT RPTV

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinyl rulez!! Thumbs Up Mr. Green
Boilermaker

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just resurrected my old TT after a couple decades of gathering dust. Unfortunately my grandchildren bent my stylus cantilever so I'm waiting for a rebuild from Soundsmith. It's been fun getting it all set up with level, VTA, SRA, etc. etc. Can't wait to hear it!
Boilermaker

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't believe that vinyl is making a comeback, just look at the ridiculous prices that cartridges, tone arms and TT's are getting on eBay not to mention vintage phono preamps. I couldn't afford to start from scratch!
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mostly play vinyl.. But..

I don't think the new vinyl they press today is worth spending money on. Its terrible quality. Guess you can compare turntables with CRT.. its not a plug and play devise, at least not if you want performance.

I think the vinyl days are over unless you find old quality pressings from the analog age.
Digital to analog.. = all the worse from both.

I think the trend is a nice looking player, not the sound itself.

Here is one of my old turntables. My favorite TT to look at.. Not using it.

Last edited by stridsvognen on Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kurt is that a Luxman?

I still think there are good new pressings. Many from Blue Nots and Mobil fidelity, Analog productions etc.

Also read reviews over on Audio Karma or ask questions of a certain title you want.

Elusive Disc dot com has mostly good pressings. And if its bad they will take returns and send it back to the manufacturer.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
Kurt is that a Luxman?

I still think there are good new pressings. Many from Blue Nots and Mobil fidelity, Analog productions etc.

Also read reviews over on Audio Karma or ask questions of a certain title you want.

Elusive Disc dot com has mostly good pressings. And if its bad they will take returns and send it back to the manufacturer.

Athanasios

Its a Luxman PD 555 Limited Edition 1 of 55

Well i'm weird i know. But i have had some help finding some very nice records, and have to say, that there have always been most bad quality vinyl.

This is 1 class service and vinyl from the old days.. http://www.audiophileusa.com/

The thing i hate today, if you finally find a quality pressing, there is absolutely no dynamics left, its mastered like on the CD.

Even analog Production, who claims to be tape recorded and so on.

All this don't make sense if you play with the new record equipment produced today, most tonearms are heavy duty stuff stiff pickups.. Trafo based stepup and so on. You will never hear whats really on the record anyway.

My preferred tonearm is SME series III around 5g mass, but its difficult to find any pickups today, who fits perfectly for that light arm.

TT i use is my Technics SP10MKII and stepup and riaa is unknown to the rest of the world.
Daner Detal pre amp with riaa and Daner Expan Stepup.

And to let you all know how weird i am, i will tell you that impedance have to be adjusted within 1 ohm if its a 25ohm pickup. Wink
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stridsvognen wrote:

And to let you all know how weird i am, i will tell you that impedance have to be adjusted within 1 ohm if its a 25ohm pickup. Wink

Truly.... a VINYLPHILE! Thumbs Up
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
stridsvognen wrote:

Truly.... a VINYLPHILE! Thumbs Up

Ohh yeah.. That was my thing until CRT started to take all my spare time... LOL
Boilermaker

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I agree - And don't forget Reference Recordings!

Quote:
I think the trend is a nice looking player, not the sound itself.

Not sure about the sound, but they sure look good - A beautiful display of overkill!
But the same can be said for much of the hyper high end with CNC machined chassis' that contribute nothing to the sound quality.
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just felt like posting some x-mas inspiration.

Go buy some cool old turntables, and flip some records.!!

Forsell Air Reference.

Its in the waiting to test stack.. Embarassed
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
Thumbs Up

http://www.buzzfeed.com/perpetua/things-vinyl-collectors-love

Nashou

One Smart Dog!!!

AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boilermaker wrote:
just look at the ridiculous prices that cartridges, tone arms
No chit, a NOS stylus for my table costs 3-4x what I originally paid 30 years ago.
View user's photo album (33 photos)
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A picture of my favorit pickup and turntable.

It dont look fancy, but it can play. Very Happy
HogPilot

TV/Projector: Vizio P702ui-B3, Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD & 111FD

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my mom a Music Hall MM5 turntable with a Goldring 1042GX cartridge to listen to her older (50's-70's) vinyl collection on. It's playing on a set of Dunlavy SC-III speakers, and I have to say I was blown away by the sound quality and the warmer sound as compared to digital. I really felt like I was re-hearing a lot of music for the first time, and it made me strongly consider getting a TT and starting a vinyl collection (I'm sure my wive would love that Rolling Eyes).

That being said, I don't think vinyl is making any kind of major resurgence. It may have found new life within the audiophile community and amongst music aficionados, but that's a relatively small market. Compressed digital formats are simply easier/cheaper to acquire/store/play just about anywhere, and they'll never degrade from repeated playing. We can argue the quality merits of one format over the other, but bottom line is that vinyl will forever remain a small niche in the music industry. Truth be told, I'm completely fine with that Smile

He's mad at us for making Hog a moderator. He took his ball and went home.

SC
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinyl have to be 25-30+ years old. It sounds better with age. Wink

The gear its played on to i guess.. Very Happy
Elaine Benes

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
:D
:thumbsup:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/perpetua/things-vinyl-collectors-love

Nashou

Exactly.

CD's and digital have no life, vinyl has the dynamic range, AND imperfections that are inherent in life, it sounds better because its more like real life....
RayN999

TV/Projector: Sony VPL-VW60 and Toshiba 65H84 CRT RPTV

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vintage vinyl spinner, now using a Grado Gold Signature instead of the old ZF1:

Ray

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 1 of 14
Jump to: