Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

is win7 the way to go for crt'ers?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
benareeno

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: is win7 the way to go for crt'ers? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
My last htpc was vista based and all was great... I recall there was some reason I used Vista...perhaps drm or something with VGA?

At any rate, is there any reason not to use Win7?
Fredrik

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Win7 on my HTPC and Barco 808.

Use an Intel MB with the built in gfx card which is kind of a pain to create custom resoultions with.
Using HDMI out though with a HD Fury1 and then to the CRT.
Have been working fine for at least 1-2years now.
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Win 7 is great...I never turn off or ever have to reboot my HTPC when I'm done with it I just let it go to sleep. It only draws a few watts when hibernating and is ready to go in less than 5 seconds after waking it up. Unless you have a newer receivers/processor that supports the HD audio formats I would just use RGBHV with a CRT, I just works! Right now I like Nvidia, the driver supports custom resolutions natively so no need for powerstrip, which I'm not sure even works with the current crop of cards from ATI.

Mike

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows 95 but make sure it's B or later Laughing

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Windows 95 but make sure it's B or later Laughing
Ur such a bimbo. Mr. Green

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On digital outputs, ie. HDMI, you basically can't make a custom resolution with Win7 without jumping through a ton of ridiculous hoops. Win7 FORCES you to abide by the EDID when its a digital connection, regardless of the truth of the display's capabilities...

However, if you're using good old analog output, custom resolutions are as easy with Win7 as any previous version of Windows, and 7 is dead easy to get on and updated. Plus, everything is being optimized for it nowadays...
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I think it has to do more with HDMI. For instance, notice that when feeding a flat panel via HDMI you are not allow to manipulate the video environment. On both my Vizio and Panasonic a lot of the controls are locked out when using HDMI. Remember, HDMI is a consumer technology and made simple for simple people. I am sure M$ never envisioned your use.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its the forcing you to use the EDID information that is Windows 7's contributions, previous versions of Windows did not force you to use the EDID information, you simply checked a box "allow resolutions not supported by the monitor"( or some such phrase) and you were good to go, regardless of the type of connection, Win7 actually enforces the restrictions as read from the EDID of the display, regardless of what you want to do, when connected via HDMI.

Now, perhaps when connected to a display via HDMI the display isn't actually capable of anything other than what is recorded in its EDID, but at least with previous versions of Windows you were free to try.

I have experienced an HDMI display not being able to show a custom resolution that it technically *should* be capable of, but this was a Moome product, not an actual panel. I'm sure you're correct about HDMI being deficient natively, WanMan. Personally I've given up and just use the options available to me via HDMI, occasionally I'll go back to analog and try all kinds of custom resolutions, but the reward is never enough better to justify the inconvenience of having to use more than one cable to connect the computer to everything else...yeah I'm lazy...
Fredrik

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what the EDID says from a HDFury1 but I've had no issues as far as I know in regard to creating custom resolution.
It may be that it's "unlocked" or have very generous tolerances but 1280x720p@71.930 is what I use now (couldn't get a perfect 71.928Hz which is the never ending issue with HTPC and the 23.976 fps).
Elaine Benes

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, HDFury guys really seemed to get that part right. The ONLY device I've ever used that "just worked" with any resolution I cared to try was my old HDFury Gamer Edition, UNLIKE the various Moome products I've tried over the years which have all been very severely limited in the resolutions they would work with...I understand its a Windows issue, but it can be worked around if the maker wishes to load up the EDID with all the possible permutations...
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is stopping you from making your own custom EDID??
Elaine Benes

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
What is stopping you from making your own custom EDID??

Complete lack of knowledge ?

Any/all of the guides I've seen have assumed a starting level of knowledge waaaayyyy over where I am, I don't want to screw anything up either...
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you cant really f*** it up, i thought that too years ago i did it, i just removed the EDID pin from the plug, and then used Moninfo and somehow created a new driver for the monitor, and it worked fine.

I had to do it for a 42 inch LCD 1920x1080 flat panel i had, which for some reason had an EDID in it for a 19inch 1280x1024 screen of the same brand...

I dont remember exactly how i did it, i think it was Mark AW that helped me out...
Elaine Benes

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you cant really f*** it up, i thought that too years ago i did it, i just removed the EDID pin from the plug, and then used Moninfo and somehow created a new driver for the monitor, and it worked fine.

I had to do it for a 42 inch LCD 1920x1080 flat panel i had, which for some reason had an EDID in it for a 19inch 1280x1024 screen of the same brand...

I dont remember exactly how i did it, i think it was Mark AW that helped me out...

Actually, I'd bet *I* could screw it up pretty good...and I just gave up anyway, I've been running standard 1080i or 1080p and been happy enough with it. I concentrated on making a better computer and using better software for playback, currently I use Win7 MC with Shark Code pack and a Radeon 6570 card, it looks great and everything "just works".
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So screw it up and learn from your mistakes!! Wink
Elaine Benes

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So screw it up and learn from your mistakes!! ;)

Thanks, but no thanks...I just bricked a $600. phone doing that, hahaha....
mc86

TV/Projector: ECP 4500 (Vidikron box), ECP4500+, wanting 07MS/07MTS, evaluating pc soft-blend

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been really happy with mine. It has dual DVI outputs (I forget the card) that are setup as cloned displays, one is a touchscreen LCD on the rack and the other gets switched through my preprocessor before eventually finding the HDF3 and gammax units. It sleeps and auto-awakes to record, etc. just fine...wife approved ease, too.

My only complaint isn't with it so much as with danged IR remotes. I haven't looked for a RF MCE remote yet, but if there is one, you might want it. I just started to do some whole-house audio through the HTPC last week and the wife is really irritated by the lack of anywhere-in-the-house control on that at the moment...I ran the wires for IR receivers everywhere, but am not convinced this is the way to go (even as a practical matter).

bests,

Matt
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elaine Benes wrote:
So screw it up and learn from your mistakes!! Wink

Thanks, but no thanks...I just bricked a $600. phone doing that, hahaha....

Well that is one mistake youll learn from!! Laughing
Riley103

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: is win7 the way to go for crt'ers? Reply with quote

benareeno wrote:
My last htpc was vista based and all was great... I recall there was some reason I used Vista...perhaps drm or something with VGA?

I don't understand question
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: is win7 the way to go for crt'ers? Reply with quote

Riley103 wrote:
benareeno wrote:

I don't understand question

THE QUESION IS: Why do I get to the end of a thread to find a post from a f*ck*** like you?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: