Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

g-90 focus yoke on marquee
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andreas

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: g-90 focus yoke on marquee Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hello everyone. Ive just bought a set of g-90 focus yokes from curt and want to install them on my 9500ultra(1997 model).

I have read in the all you want to know about frankenyokes in one shot thread but did not found any conection sceduale. Does anyone have a picture of the right conection? I have a lot of questions about this and i really hope that someone here can help.

first, any preparation i should do on my PJ settings. I guess it will be best to set convergence, focus and astig to 50 before installing the new yokes? any special tools needed?

I will be back with pictures later this week when ive got them(they have arrived in sweden today).

Do i have to open the new yokes to turn the inside in the other direction or can the be left as they are? Ive also read that the new yokes has magnets for triangularity that is best to be left anone because the marquee doesnt have conectors for all controls? Okey thats it for now. I would be really thankful if someone helps me out on this

sorry about the spelling,spellcheck did not work...
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andres in Spain used them for a while. There was a thread on AVS with some pics but not too good.

Antorsea i think is the screen name.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
mr_ro_co

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: g-90 focus yoke on marquee Reply with quote

andreas wrote:
Hello everyone. Ive just bought a set of g-90 focus yokes from curt and want to install them on my 9500ultra(1997 model).

I have read in the all you want to know about frankenyokes in one shot thread but did not found any conection sceduale. Does anyone have a picture of the right conection? I have a lot of questions about this and i really hope that someone here can help.

first, any preparation i should do on my PJ settings. I guess it will be best to set convergence, focus and astig to 50 before installing the new yokes? any special tools needed?

I will be back with pictures later this week when ive got them(they have arrived in sweden today).

Do i have to open the new yokes to turn the inside in the other direction or can the be left as they are? Ive also read that the new yokes has magnets for triangularity that is best to be left anone because the marquee doesnt have conectors for all controls? Okey thats it for now. I would be really thankful if someone helps me out on this

sorry about the spelling,spellcheck did not work...

Disclaimer: I have not yet installed these because the project got derailed for other reasons, but was poised to install them. They do need to be flipped or rotated 90 degrees, can't remember (it's in an email somewhere).

I took these yokes apart, pinned out all the coils, measured their impedance and sorted the connection schedule (verified by Scott, a VDC technician) out here (bottom of page):

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2498&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=g90+yoke+inductance&&start=600

It sounds like you will have them in soon, so I'm looking forward to your results! I have heard from Craig (CIR Engineering) that the G90 focus yokes work well in the Marquee.

Steve

andreas

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for your interest in the matter! yes i will take pictures of my work during installation and afterwards.
zGman

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The focus coils work better if you leave them alone, don't disassemble & don't flip them
in the housings. Hopefully you got the connectors and harness for them.
G
andreas

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zGman wrote:
The focus coils work better if you leave them alone, don't disassemble & don't flip them
in the housings. Hopefully you got the connectors and harness for them.
G

That sounds great, the less complicated work the better! is there any risk by leaving them as they are? If i have problems with the raster leveling(if they start leaning) is it possible to correct that by rotating the coils around the tube neck or should i rotate the most forward yoke for that purpuse on the tube instead? Thanks for all replys!

The link from mr_ro_co has a schematics that i intend to use, thanks! ive noted that there seems to be some marquee wires that is not used at all?? i think brown and green from the focus board are not used at all, is that corect?
i will be back later this evening and hopefully ave got the yokes by then!
zGman

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will use the deflection coils to adjust your orientation - rotating the
focus coils doesn't do much. I have done the 1292 coil conversion
for 3 of my own 9500's and two for a friend - they work better
to use them as they were designed. The brn and grn wires
are for a temp sensor, you can leave them open or connect
a 10K resistor - I recall that Scott said it doesn't matter.
Good luck with your projects,
G
andreas

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone! i just got them Very Happy One of the yokes has been opened and the wires seems changed in someway. i dont know what that meens.. i will post a picture to explaine:

g-90-2.JPG
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  g-90-2.JPG
 Filesize:  313.8 KB
 Downloaded:  560 Time(s)

g-90.JPG
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  g-90.JPG
 Filesize:  249.14 KB
 Downloaded:  487 Time(s)

mr_ro_co

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a wire color change from the G90 yoke connectors, where a green/blue pair connects to a white/orange (the static focus coil). My schematic is for the actual wiring colors that connect to the coils in the yoke. If you have any confusion over this, drill out the rivets that hold the plastic shell of the G90 yoke together so that you can see exactly how the wires go into the yoke. Cut off the Sony connectors, and separate out all the color pairs per my diagram. The confusing part is how the wires go into the inner bobbin for the (2) 6 pole and (2) 4 pole stig coils. But between my photo, diagram and a multimeter, you can measure DCR and should be able to figure it out.

Also, Scott emphasized the following:

Quote:
The polarity of the dynamic and static windings are important. If the sides are way out or the top is way out of focus try reversing the polarity of the dynamic (sides) or static (top and bottom). Stigs really don't matter as they can adjust in both directions.

And:

Quote:
It is good to ground one end of unused windings as they will pick up a static charge when HV goes up or down and can arc to important stuff, like you.

zGman also recommended using the grounding the unused coils.

Best regards,

Steve

Marquee to G90 focus yokes.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  190.78 KB
 Viewed:  12050 Time(s)

Marquee to G90 focus yokes.jpg

G90 focus yoke internals.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  234.25 KB
 Viewed:  12050 Time(s)

G90 focus yoke internals.jpg

mr_ro_co

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andreas wrote:
Hello everyone! i just got them Very Happy One of the yokes has been opened and the wires seems changed in someway. i dont know what that meens.. i will post a picture to explaine:

Interesting - it looks like your static focus coil is reconnected to a blue/yellow pair instead of mine with is connected to a blue/green pair.

Steve

andreas

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep seems strange and scary.I hope it works like the othet two yokes. The connectors has the same collors. That yoke has already been picked apart and there is skrews that i can open and check if it looks like your pictures inside, hope it does...
andreas

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will drill them apart and try to use the sceduale above if no other option but isnt there some schematics just for the conection between the wires fron the marquee and the sony coils wires outside the housings?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=11525442

Does anyone have a photography on the right cennections?

I have taken out the old yokes now and started to carv up the wires so the will be ready to be conected
mr_ro_co

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andreas wrote:
i will drill them apart and try to use the sceduale above if no other option but isnt there some schematics just for the conection between the wires fron the marquee and the sony coils wires outside the housings?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=11525442

Does anyone have a photography on the right cennections?

I have taken out the old yokes now and started to carv up the wires so the will be ready to be conected

Please refer to my diagram for the connection schedule. It does not identify polarity, however, but it identify the the coils and their functions between the Marquee and Sony yokes and the wire color pairs for those coils. You will have to choose your own connection method between the Marquee wiring and the G90 yokes. I am not aware of anyone having documented a specific connection schedule from the G90 yoke connectors to the Marquee's wiring.

Steve

andreas

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it would be great if someone would download and drew red marks between the right conections Very Happy

it would be a great karma boost!

thanks to you all

IMG_0263.JPG
 Description:
conections
 Filesize:  303.06 KB
 Viewed:  10249 Time(s)

IMG_0263.JPG

andreas

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aha, okey steve. I thought there was some sceduale like that. I just have to use my brain cells then. hmmm
mr_ro_co

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andreas wrote:
aha, okey steve. I thought there was some sceduale like that. I just have to use my brain cells then. hmmm

Andreas,

I dug out my G90 yokes just for you! Smile

Here is what I did. I took all three apart to identify the coils and wire pairs to them. Then I grouped them together. My approach was to make the connection between the Marquee wiring and the G90 yokes with individual pin-and-sleeve connections, each heat shrinked to insulate from each other. This would allow for a good connection and the ability to reverse polarity easily as needed.

Like I said, I never did get around to this because I got side tracked with another problem on the projector I was going to test these on. Now that my working projector is on a table, maybe I'll get these installed this weekend.

Best,

Steve

IMG_1484.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  438.97 KB
 Viewed:  12011 Time(s)

IMG_1484.JPG

IMG_1483.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  441.96 KB
 Viewed:  12011 Time(s)

IMG_1483.JPG

andreas

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is great steve! I guess i will have to open them up to identify the pairs as you did since thre are several wires with the same color. Post some pictures of your work if you do install them this week!
andreas

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, i know i guy that has a multimeter. I can use it tomorrow and messure out the right pairs to fit your sceduale then. Im to tired now, have to sleep
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice posts! If anyone wants to write this up, we can put it in the 'advanced procedures' section of the site. See your name in lights Get.. no money from it! Smile
mr_ro_co

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Nice posts! If anyone wants to write this up, we can put it in the 'advanced procedures' section of the site. See your name in lights Get.. no money from it! Smile

Sounds like a plan!

Steve

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: