Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Leveno PCs

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil Smith

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Leveno PCs Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I needed to upgrade a couple of PCs at work. I came across this and ordered two. Not that it matters now, but does this seem like a decent computer and a decent deal? I don't follow computers anymore and bought these after only a little shopping around.

http://outlet.lenovo.com/es07724150.html
mc86

TV/Projector: ECP 4500 (Vidikron box), ECP4500+, wanting 07MS/07MTS, evaluating pc soft-blend

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about that machine, but I can tell you I have bought 10 tablet PCs (2 rounds of 5) over the last 4 years and a handful of other machines from the Lenovo Outlet. Two of the tablets booted up and still had problems. In both cases a quick call to the help center (in india) had the issue resolved. In one case I had diagnosed the issue and they trust what I told them and sent me the part and in the other they send out another machine right away. Aside from that, all the refurbished machines have been flawless. So thumbs up to the outlet center in NC from me...

Matt
Phil Smith

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are suppose to be brand new "scratch and dent" units.

Sounds like you've had pretty good luck with them. Hopefully I will too.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad for the price Phil. The i3 should be more than enough for general duties. Intel graphics isn't great, but good enough for just about anything outside of games. If you want to transcode, then this set up should be pretty fast.
Phil Smith

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric, Good! My hope is that they will be usable for at least 6 years. No way I need 8GB of RAM today, but who knows on down the road. I'm hoping they're future proof.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil Smith wrote:
Eric, Good! My hope is that they will be usable for at least 6 years. No way I need 8GB of RAM today, but who knows on down the road. I'm hoping they're future proof.

Yep.. good luck with that. 2 years or whenever Mr Gates wants to release a new operating system, whatever comes first.

BTW, I've never heard of 'Lenevo' products, but Lenovo ain't bad. Laughing
Phil Smith

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leveno used to be IBM.

With my meager business needs they shouldn't become obsolete for a long time.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil,
It is Lenovo.Smile

You may never need 8 gigs of Ram unless you are using some program that needs that much like Photoshop. Even then you don't need it, but it helps.

If Windows goes to crap, then you could always try Linux. Some people think the learning curve is difficult, but it really isn't. For day to day tasks, I find it easier to use than Windows.
RayN999

TV/Projector: Sony VPL-VW60 and Toshiba 65H84 CRT RPTV

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lenovo OEMed laptop & desktop machines to IBM for years until IBM decided to get out of the consumer PC market, then they came out with their own branded stuff.

I supported & rebuilt & refurbished a number of IBM laptops & desktops for a large accounting firm in Minneapolis in the early 2000s. Most of the stuff was built to great standards & were able to withstand the punishment our staff dealt out to these machines.

Ray

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil, I'm running a 10 year old Dell with no issues. My software needs haven't changed in 10 years. A new computer would be nice, but this one is still running.

I was juts puling your chain.
Phil Smith

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
Phil,
It is Lenovo.Smile

Right, it's Leveno. What's your point, Eric?
Phil Smith

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt, I'm typing this on a 6 year old emachines computer I inherited when I bought the pawn shop. It still works just fine, but it was a POS when new and hasn't gotten any better with age (although it's lasted 6 years, so it must not be too big of POS). It's slow. I need something a little faster.
Phil Smith

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RayN999 wrote:
Lenovo OEMed laptop & desktop machines to IBM for years until IBM decided to get out of the consumer PC market, then they came out with their own branded stuff.

I supported & rebuilt & refurbished a number of IBM laptops & desktops for a large accounting firm in Minneapolis in the early 2000s. Most of the stuff was built to great standards & were able to withstand the punishment our staff dealt out to these machines.

Ray

Ray, I use to buy and sell used musical instruments for a living. I bought and sold a lot of notebooks too. Use to sell them on usenet. I always thought ThinkPads were very nice notebooks.
dturco

TV/Projector: Runco DLP VX-3000i Marquee 9500 parts doner

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil Smith wrote:
Spanky Ham wrote:
Phil,
It is Lenovo.Smile

Hehhehehehehe Laughing

http://www.hulu.com/firefly
Phil Smith

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dturco wrote:
Phil Smith wrote:
Spanky Ham wrote:
Phil,
It is Lenovo.Smile

Hehhehehehehe Laughing

Question Question Question
Phil Smith

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, you guys have been helping me and now I'm being a jerk. Embarassed I admit I didn't catch this (dyslexia kicking in I guess):

Curt Palme wrote:
BTW, I've never heard of 'Lenevo' products, but Lenovo ain't bad. Laughing

But I got this:

Spanky Ham wrote:
Phil,
It is Lenovo.Smile

Levono. I got it! Wink
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well SOMEONE's gotta bust yer balls..Smile

On the eMachine.. I have worked on dozens of computers, and am the first to admit that I'm a complete hack at them, compared to some here. HOwever... I have noticed that by deinstalling almost any antivirus program, then reinstalling it, you can speed things up quite a bit in a lot of cases. On others, I've done a new Windows install, wiped out everything, and bingo, it's like new again. On others, leaking caps on the motherboard apparently can cause things to slow down. I've never gotten into a computer at that level, but I've read stuff on the net written by major geeks, so I would assume that to be true as well.

If your computing needs haven't changed in the 6 years you've been at the store, chances are it's one of the above issues. Still, if you rely on it, then yes, get a new desktop, but you might be able to save the old one as a spare, or another terminal.
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows 8 has youŽ

Razz

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the Lenovos turned out to be refurbs, not scratched and dent new. I returned them. Mad

A Staples down the street has an identical spec HP for $449, which from what I've seen seems like a pretty good deal. I may get one HP and wait for something decent to come out of pawn to replace the other.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: