Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

HOW TO: Design & build your dream home theater

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: HOW TO: Design & build your dream home theater Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!

Order today! GO »

Learn how to design and build your dream home theater. Over 800 construction photos and hours of videos and audio interviews available.

The fundamentals of building a dedicated home theater are taught by walking you through the process from concept to completion.

This course was created for those people who fall into one or more of these categories:

• Want to design or build a home theater themselves.
  • Are going to contract out the theater construction and want to know what to watch for.
  • Want to learn from the experience of other home theater owners, including pitfalls and lessons learnt.
  • Love home theater and want to see what others have done, including seeing hundreds of home theater construction photos!

Course Contents

The course is split into 25 lessons:

Lesson One: Getting Started
Lesson Two: Your Audio and Video Options
Lesson Three: Your Screen and Seating Options
Lesson Four: Soundproofing and Acoustics
Lesson Five: Designing Your Theater
Lesson Six: Prior To Construction
Lesson Seven: Theater Wall Framing
Lesson Eight: Theater Ceiling and Soffit Framing
Lesson Nine: Home Theater Stages
Lesson Ten: Home Theater Proscenium
Lesson Eleven: Home Theater Risers
Lesson Twelve: Hush Boxes, Equipment Racks and Rooms
Lesson Thirteen: Concessions and Snack Bars
Lesson Fourteen: Heating and Cooling Your Theater
Lesson Fifteen: 120 Volt and Low Voltage in Your Theater
Lesson Sixteen: Lighting and Control Systems
Lesson Seventeen: Wiring Your ElectronicsLesson Eighteen: Insulation and Drywall
Lesson Nineteen: Sound Treatments and Wall Fabric
Lesson Twenty: Painting Your Theater
Lesson Twenty-One: Carpeting Your Theater
Lesson Twenty-Two: Columns and Moulding
Lesson Twenty-Three: Home Theater Seating
Lesson Twenty-Four: Equipment and Speaker Installation
Lesson Twenty-Five: Opening Night!

Expert Videos Package

Hours of videos are now included. See the evolution of home theaters from start to finish and watch interviews with some of the leading experts and authorities in the field of home theater. Learn directly from the experts as they share knowledge and insight with you. Includes:
  • Bryan Pape, Industry Expert: Home Theater Acoustics - Bryan Pape of GIK Acoustics is an Acoustical Engineer and one of the leading experts on the issue of designing home theater acoustic solutions. He is sought out for his wisdom and ability to take the complex issue of acoustics and discuss it in language that everyone can understand. In his videos, Bryan walks through the fundamentals of home theater acoustics, and discusses how home theater builders can properly design their rooms.

• Curt Fluegel, Industry Expert: Home Theater Design - Curt Fluegel is the owner of the CF Theater. His passion for home theater led him into the industry and to create one of the most amazing theaters you will ever see. In his videos, Curt shares his thoughts on home theater design and home automation.

• Ken Whitcomb, Industry Expert: Video Calibration - Ken Whitcomb (owner of Calibrations Inc.) is known by many as the leading video calibrations expert in the industry. He has worked on theaters ranging from the largest and most famous to the smallest. Ken discusses the basics of video calibration, shows some screen examples, and takes us inside Art Sonneborn's famous theater to show us his calibration process.

• Mark Seaton, Industry Expert: Audio and Loudspeakers - Mark Seaton is known in the industry as one of the leading authorities on audio, calibration, and loudspeaker design. As the founder and creator of Seaton Sound, his products are used in some of the best home theaters. In his three videos, Mark discusses audio calibration, speaker placement, subwoofer design and implementation and more.

• Evolution Video: Building The Blazing Ridge Cinema home theater

• Evolution Video: Building the Cinema Murray home theater

• Evolution Video: Building the Prairie Home Cinema home theater
New expert videos are added continuously so check back often. As a paid member you will have access to all new videos as they are added.

Interviews / Bonus Content

Included with all packages are additional PDF documents and hours of audio interviews with home theater experts. Includes:

• Shawn Byrne: Theater Designer and Calibrations Expert of Cinema Forte - The fundamental issues surrounding room design and how that impacts the final audio performance of the home theater. (58 minutes)

• Jeff Parkinson: Expert Home Theater Contractor and Builder - BigMouthInDC on AVSForum - Home theater projects including common mistakes people make when they design and build their own theaters. Jeff offers tips and suggestions for home theater owners. (22 minutes)

• Kal Wallner: Author and Video Calibration Professional of CurtPalme.com - Information on video calibration from why calibration is important to common tools used to perform calibration. Kal talks about best practices for video calibration. (24 minutes)

• Mark Techer: CinemaScope Home Theater Expert of CAVX - CinemaScope in the home theater. From the basics of what CinemaScope is, to the equipment needed for a CinemaScope theater and suggestions for designing a room with the wide screen in mind. (37 minutes)

• Ted White: Home Theater Soundproofing Expert of SoundproofingCompany Inc. - Soundproofing concepts and soundproofing a home theater. Ted discusses everything from the fundamentals of soundproofing to specific construction techniques for the home theater environment, to some common mistakes and his tips and suggestions for the best soundproofing of a home theater. (63 minutes)

• Ethan Winer: Audio and Acoustics Expert of RealTraps - Audio and Acoustics in the home theater. Ethan discusses concepts starting with the fundamentals of audio and acoustics themselves to room reflections and room modes, bass in the home theater, bass traps, and much more. (49 minutes)
New interviews are added periodically so check back often.

Pictures

Order today! GO »

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:39 pm; edited 10 times in total
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could only dream of my theater looking like one of those, I mean wow Neutral

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any early adopter opinion? Mr. Green
emdawgz1

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude!!!

Whats the story behind the book? Who wrote what?

I'm ordering one, of course but.... i wanna know!!
Shocked

View user's photo album (3 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The book's written by Warren Peterson (whom some of you may know from AVS).

I've read the whole thing through now myself as I'm getting near to starting my own new HT. It's extremely well done. Tons of pictures of about 10 of the better builds from there showing how they went from start to end (EDIT: There are videos with industry experts now too). I'm familiar with all the stuff but it was nice to see it all organized into one place. It's easy to forget stuff.

Think of it as basically a summary of about 1,000,000 AVS posts reworded and organized nicely with pictures and then extra text explaining what people actually did. I'm sure it was a ton of work. It reminds me of my greyscale guide or my building your own brewery book it's a reorganization of a ton of information into something useful.

And of course the exclusive interviews with people such as myself are absolutely priceless. Wink

Full disclaimer: Buying the book through the link here at CurtPalme.com gives us a small kickback (at no extra cost to you). Your support is appreciated!

Kal

Last edited by kal on Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:54 pm; edited 4 times in total
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full disclaimer: I know Warren personally; from several AVS meets going back five years or so, from when he shot my theater for his Home Theaters Revealed DVD series, and from an ongoing working relationship... That said, he's a great guy. He's very supportive and involved with the AVS community, and the HT hobby and community in general.

Of course, we all know Kal as the creator of this excellent site.

Buy the Home Theater Book here, support Warren, and support Kal and the site at the same time: Win, win, and more win.

Two enthusiastic thumbs up. Thumbs Up

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
kabuby77

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a fast look, really interesting Cool
HK-Steve

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500, Epson 8100

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got it,
Well done Warren, Very Nice work.

Cheers

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your order Steve - it's appreciated!

Kal

HK-Steve

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The info is great, well worth it.

Now to go listen to the mp3's.

Cheers

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

even to just have a read, and see the process of the many GREAT HT build's, is great info.

Well worth, plus a big thanks to those who helped show their own build, advice, experience, in one awesome collection.

Cheers

Page 1 of 1
Jump to: