Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Pioneer Elite PRO-520HD - Need HELP with Service Menu
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Pioneer Elite PRO-520HD - Need HELP with Service Menu Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Theres a mint one of these TVs for sale in town, 53" screen size 720p/1080i etc... I've never had a pioneer TV, much less a high end Pioneer Elite CRT Projection TV.

Im all set to make the purchase, but I am wondering if there is a built in HD ATSC Tuner in it? From what I got out of the manual (which is rather bleak to say the least) it is an optional device you can buy? :-\

What would be a good price for this TV? The lenses and mirror need a good cleaning since it was a bit dark..

Last edited by Jeremy112 on Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the picture was dark, I'd be very concerned about tube wear more than lenses and mirror needing cleaning (which is probably also true). Dusty lenses and mirror will reduce contrast (sharpness) more than it will attenuate brightness (unless it were really filthy).

No built-in ATSC decider. Like many sets of that generation, it accepts only 480p and 1080i, not 720p.

They were good sets. This was something like a $5000 street price set. I don't know about this one, but the bigger Elite sets were even liquid-coupled, IIRC.

Cheers,
SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
If the picture was dark, I'd be very concerned about tube wear more than lenses and mirror needing cleaning (which is probably also true). Dusty lenses and mirror will reduce contrast (sharpness) more than it will attenuate brightness (unless it were really filthy).

No built-in ATSC decider. Like many sets of that generation, it accepts only 480p and 1080i, not 720p.

They were good sets. This was something like a $5000 street price set. I don't know about this one, but the bigger Elite sets were even liquid-coupled, IIRC.

Cheers,
SC

No 720P? The manual doesnt say specifically what resolutions it will do, but this is what it says:

Reception system ........ American TV standard NTSC system
Screen size ................................................. 58" (PRO-610HD)
53" (PRO-510HD)
CRT .....................................................7" High focus CRT x 3
Brightness (White peak) ....... 420 Foot-Lambert (PRO-610HD)
500 Foot-Lambert (PRO-510HD)
[White window signal input contrast Max.]
without protective screen
Horizontal resolution ...... More than 1250 lines (PRO-610HD)
More than 1150 lines (PRO-510HD)
[Input digital test pattern (1250 lines resolution)]
Input terminals ............................................... 4 video inputs
4 S-VIDEO input jacks (Y/C separate INPUT)
2 COMPONENT VIDEO INPUT jacks (Y, PB, PR)
4 audio inputs
CENTER INPUT jack
Mini D-sub 15 pin INPUT jack (RGB)

Ill see if I can get them to knock the price down since you may be right about tube wear, the last cheap RPTV I picked up had a green tube that had some mild wear...

We shall see in a bit! I will post back in an hour with the results of my haggling Razz

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm back, the guy at the salvation army said the best he could do was $212 so it came to $221 with tax, I saved $42. before he went to ask the manager, he let me use the remote to mess with the settings. Luckily whoever owned it didnt like it bright, the settings were WAY low. Putting them back to default made it a lot better Thumbs Up

it looks to be in good working condition and everything else. the convergence is still quite good. I am anxious to see what it can do with HD signals.

I am going to pick it up later this evening, since I dont think it will fit in the back of my 77 eldorado Razz (or at least be willing to Very Happy )

All in all, a good score, never had one of these, but now I do, and I have always wanted one since the Pioneer Brochure Pioneer sent me about 9 years ago.

Even the guy knew the TV was a high end one. They just set it out Friday, the day I went and saw it. Luckily they were closed sunday and today I got there right before everyone else, the vultures were circling when I walked out the door having it paid for Smile

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your going to love that set!!

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
RayN999

TV/Projector: Sony VPL-VW60 and Toshiba 65H84 CRT RPTV

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like my Toshiba RPCRT, it'll probably rescale 720p to 1080i internally, so I think it'll take a 720p signal, just what you see on the screen will be 1080i or 480p. This one here does 540p or 1080i.

Seek the service manual!

Ray

ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be right, Ray... But, a lot of the early HD sets wouldn't even display a 720p signal, because they couldn't scan 720 progressive, and presumably a scaler to scale to 1080i so it could display added too much cost to the set. None of the earlier Mitsubishi HD sets would take a 720p input.

SC
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:

I am going to pick it up later this evening, since I dont think it will fit in the back of my 77 eldorado Razz (or at least be willing to Very Happy )

)

Never say never:

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lmao, I've been proved wrong! Even so, I think its safer for the TV to get hauled in a truck lol Smile
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
Lmao, I've been proved wrong! Even so, I think its safer for the TV to get hauled in a truck lol Smile

Yeah probably but this one in the picture was out of a boys play room and already had a good "patina" on it from their gaming matches. We weren't sweating the paint!

Made it back in one piece though.

CRT.

HD done right!
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got the TV here in one piece. It does not have casters on it... kind of a surprise for a 280 pound TV. This isnt the PRO-510HD I thought it was... Its the PRO-520HD, so a step up (whats the diff?). Its in absolutely mint condition, there isnt a mark on the TV anywhere. The TV came with the original remote, and literally looks like brand new, very very shocking for a huge bulky heavy piano gloss black item Mr. Green

Now, this isnt like the sony that Im used to working on, How does one go about getting to the lenses and mirror on this TV so I can clean them?

I will post a pic in a bit Very Happy

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://tinyurl.com/7bfgwxy

I'm guessing the PRO-520, 620, and 720 models were just the successors to the 510, 610, 710.

Improvements were getting pretty modest and incremental at that point. Judging by the press release, I'd guess new lenses for a bit better corner focus and contrast, looks like a better screen, better color filtering, and probably some software and scaler tweaks.

Heck of a buy if you have the space.

SC
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet the front gloss panel will slide out in one direction if hit with a soft rubber mallet with a cloth on the finish edge. That how The mitsubishi front gloss panel is removed. the hard part is figuring out which way it comes off, left or right.

I bet Craig Rounds would know.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
I bet the front gloss panel will slide out in one direction if hit with a soft rubber mallet with a cloth on the finish edge. That how The mitsubishi front gloss panel is removed. the hard part is figuring out which way it comes off, left or right.

Athanasios

Thats exactly how it worked,, it came off very easily, the lenses and mirror are cleaned upa nd its super bright again, there is NO wear on all 3 tubes Very Happy

One question, I have a PC hooked up to the VGA input on the TV, what HD resolution/freq can I send to it?? The manual does not specify...

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try 1080i first. I bet 480p will work also and possible 720p. Youll have to play around.

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
Nashou66 wrote:

Athanasios

Thats exactly how it worked,, it came off very easily, the lenses and mirror are cleaned upa nd its super bright again, there is NO wear on all 3 tubes Very Happy

One question, I have a PC hooked up to the VGA input on the TV, what HD resolution/freq can I send to it?? The manual does not specify...

Be very careful here. You may do damage to the TV if you send it too high a resolution.

720x480@60Hz (480p), 1920x1080i/30 I don't believe the Pioneers did 45Khz/720p 1080i was the standard back then.

CRT.

HD done right!
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I beleive you are right, it does not like 720p, it complains about it whenever I try it. 1080i works perfectly though, as does 480- and 480i.

A real bummer I cant do 720p, would be nice for the computer factor of things, but all in all not really a big deal. I have my BDP-HD1 hooked up to it at the moment, blu ray looks amazing on the set. I still have to get into the service menu and calibrate it since it needs some pin cushion work, otherwise focus is spot on, and the TV is pretty stable Very Happy

Now would it be a good decision to replace the capacitors in the TV? I did this with a 1272Q PJ and it made it a lot more stable as far as convergence went.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Id replace at least the Power supply caps and Horizontal boards.
But look on any RPCRT TV forums for any boards that might be in need of a recap. If you plan to keep the set for a long time why not do it anyhow?

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what I thought. Since I am going to keep it until it gets run into the ground, I'll have to see if theres any common issues with these RPTVs as well that I should be aware of.

I still owe pics to you all! I will get them!!Smile

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the 520's had some issues, but likely nothing that can't be fixed....the 510 is the best, the 530 would be second best.

I had a 630 here a while back...great picture. And it really benefitted from a good cleaning...

color filtered c-elements...these tv's are really nice. Likely the best rp sets ever made.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: