Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

 
Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!


Calibrating at 75% Rec 709 gamut

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> ChromaPure Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
barsk



Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Posts: 4
Location: Sweden


PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Calibrating at 75% Rec 709 gamut Reply with quote


        Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi!

I am trying to understand how one should do calibration at the 75% Rec. 709 setting.
I use the AVS HD 709 test patterns disc for this. There are some 75% color patterns there but they seem snot appropriate. Maybe thay are 75% intensity, not saturation? There are other patterns under the headline "Saturation" on the disc. These seem to be the ones to use (the 75% saturated ones)

Anyway, this is how I have done it. I use a 100% intensity pattern for white, and the 75% saturated patterns from the saturations chapter on the disc. Is this correct?

The manual does not cover what exact patterns to use for this calibration. There are the intensity and saturation variants and which to use was not clear to me.

The reason I ask for confirmation on my approach is that I have some huge problems getting proper color on my Panasonic VT30. Even though I have dE under total control in both white point, grayscale and CMS the image is still visibly off. Whites looks ok, skintones etc seem too orange-reddish. There has been some report of CMS errors in the pannys though so it might be the set itself that has bad CMS handling. Any insight on that?

/Kristian
Back to top
TomHuffman



Joined: 01 Jun 2010
Posts: 73
Location: Springfield, MO


PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the 75% saturation patterns. Intensity doesn't matter. You can also use the CP internal test patterns for this. Use Advanced Color Managment to diagnose color problems.

There are some problems with this selection in the latest build of CP. These have been fixed and will be included in our next release, which should be out in a week or two.

_________________
ChromaPure calibration software & meter packages at CurtPalme.com discounted prices!
Back to top
barsk



Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Posts: 4
Location: Sweden


PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

I've used advanced CMS to check saturation linearity and it is OK at the default color intensity setting. However if I decrease the setting to what is appropriate prior to CMS calibration - the linearity gets way off. So I tried calibration at that default setting and decreased lightness a lot instead. But it seems to have other implications. Maybe intensity is non linear now.

I could not run the intensity checks in the advanced CMS section as I have no patterns on disc for those.

How am I supposed to run the internal patterns in CP as I use that display for the user interface? I am not clear on how to solve that. Use another computer to run those?

Btw, could you please be more specific to what issues you have found in CP? It may be directly related to the problems I have. Maybe it is a software problem that is causing my woes? When do you hope to have release of the fix?

/Kristian
Back to top
TomHuffman



Joined: 01 Jun 2010
Posts: 73
Location: Springfield, MO


PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barsk wrote:
I've used advanced CMS to check saturation linearity and it is OK at the default color intensity setting. However if I decrease the setting to what is appropriate prior to CMS calibration - the linearity gets way off. So I tried calibration at that default setting and decreased lightness a lot instead. But it seems to have other implications. Maybe intensity is non linear now.
Don't do this. I have no idea what results this would have.

barsk wrote:
I could not run the intensity checks in the advanced CMS section as I have no patterns on disc for those.

How am I supposed to run the internal patterns in CP as I use that display for the user interface? I am not clear on how to solve that. Use another computer to run those?
You setup an extended desktop using the PC monitor for CP and the TV as the second monitor on to which you drag the test patterns.

barsk wrote:
Btw, could you please be more specific to what issues you have found in CP? It may be directly related to the problems I have. Maybe it is a software problem that is causing my woes? When do you hope to have release of the fix?
The 75% Rec. 709 option on Color Management is broken. Don't try to use it until we release a fix.
_________________
ChromaPure calibration software & meter packages at CurtPalme.com discounted prices!
Back to top
barsk



Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Posts: 4
Location: Sweden


PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomHuffman wrote:
barsk wrote:
I've used advanced CMS to check saturation linearity and it is OK at the default color intensity setting. However if I decrease the setting to what is appropriate prior to CMS calibration - the linearity gets way off. So I tried calibration at that default setting and decreased lightness a lot instead. But it seems to have other implications. Maybe intensity is non linear now.
Don't do this. I have no idea what results this would have.


Well, I had another look at my TV yesterday and the calibrations seems better than ever with very lifelike skintones and such. I did not get that result when I calibrated earlier with color intensities adjusted prior to CMS calibration. In fact those poor results was what drove me to experiment in this matter. The advanced CMS diagnose shows a MUCH better saturation linearity overall with the approach of calibration from the default color intensity settings.

I'll try again on the pro2 setting and run another full calibration as it "should" be done and then compare again.

TomHuffman wrote:

barsk wrote:

How am I supposed to run the internal patterns in CP as I use that display for the user interface? I am not clear on how to solve that. Use another computer to run those?
You setup an extended desktop using the PC monitor for CP and the TV as the second monitor on to which you drag the test patterns.

Of course! I feel kind of stupid. Thanks for the tip! I do have an HDMI output on my laptop so its a no-brainer.

TomHuffman wrote:

barsk wrote:
Btw, could you please be more specific to what issues you have found in CP? It may be directly related to the problems I have. Maybe it is a software problem that is causing my woes? When do you hope to have release of the fix?

The 75% Rec. 709 option on Color Management is broken.
Don't try to use it until we release a fix.

Any ETA? I would be very interested in getting the fix as soon as possible.

And again, just to be 100% sure, the right way to use the 75% Rec 709 setting is to use 75% saturated RGBYCM patterns with a 100% white pattern? Or was the white pattern intensity not of importance?
The 75% chaper on the AVSHD disc, are those 75% saturation or intensity? My findings would indicate intensity, but I am unsure...

/Kristian
Back to top
barsk



Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Posts: 4
Location: Sweden


PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomHuffman wrote:

barsk wrote:
Btw, could you please be more specific to what issues you have found in CP? It may be directly related to the problems I have. Maybe it is a software problem that is causing my woes? When do you hope to have release of the fix?
The 75% Rec. 709 option on Color Management is broken. Don't try to use it until we release a fix.


I found the 2.2.11 version, but there was no release notes for it. Is this the version with the fix for 75% Rec 709 option?
If not, any idea when i might arrive?

Kristian
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> ChromaPure Products All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum