Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Would You Pay The Premium

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Would You Pay The Premium Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
With the X700R $3000 more than the X500R is it real worth the premium? The X500R has CMS.

There is a contrast ratio difference. Does that really mean anything? Past a certain point when are contrast numbers meaningless? My theater is light controlled.

HogPilot

TV/Projector: Vizio P702ui-B3, Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD & 111FD

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although the street price difference is less than the difference in MSRP (at least last I checked), I think the visible difference in CR is only noticeable in a side by side comparison, and even then the difference in black level would likely be negligible. Given the problems I've seen with JVC's CMS, I'd go with an X500 and use the extra to get an external CMS like a Lumagen or an AV Foundry VideoEQ if you don't need all of the Lumagen's other features.

He's mad at us for making Hog a moderator. He took his ball and went home.

SC
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How comparable is black level performance? Is it something you can truly see or only measure with instrumentation?

CR ratings, does it just mean the X700R just puts out more light at 100 IRE?

ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The differnce isn't peak white; all three projectors use the same lamp and are rated the same peak lumens. The difference is in absolute black. You could probably see the difference between the X500 and X700 if you saw them in a direct side-by-side comparison, but the difference would be very subtle. All three machines are excellent, and even the entry-level x500 would really impress you if you've never seen one.

As for whether it's worth the premium, it depends entirely on your budget. For me, it isn't. The delta between even the x500 and x700 will buy my prepro and my main speakers. For another guy that has more disposable income than I do, it might absolutely be worth it.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: