Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

My Pearl took a dump :\
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I would say its the ballast then if you have tried new bulbs without success. Your VW50 would be the second one I've ever read about the ballast actually failing, so its rare, but not uncommon really.

I'd be willing to bet its the ballast. If that wont fix it, then its a more serious issue with the projector, and at that point it might not be worth continuing on with it. These units sell for a maximum of $900 practically new in the box on ebay, so a used one without a box and just a remote would probably fetch at best $700

Still has a super image for a 6 year old unit, if the contrast would be a bit better, I think these projectors would have a pretty high resale value still.

TV/Projector: Vizio P702ui-B3, Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD & 111FD

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I think $900 - even for a brand new in box unit - is a bit steep. However I think $650 shipped is a steal - I swear I've seen one of those recently around here...Wink

He's mad at us for making Hog a moderator. He took his ball and went home.

SC
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razz pilot

I agree 100% I wouldn't pay $900 for these units. But I have a good one for all of you. I sold mine on ebay just last night, the purchaser emailed me asking why I sold it so cheaply at $699 Neutral

I guess I wasn't charging enough? :-\

TV/Projector: Vizio P702ui-B3, Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD & 111FD

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
Razz pilot

I agree 100% I wouldn't pay $900 for these units. But I have a good one for all of you. I sold mine on ebay just last night, the purchaser emailed me asking why I sold it so cheaply at $699 Neutral

I guess I wasn't charging enough? :-\

I think your price was reasonable, if not priced to sell. I don't think it was low at all, based on what I've seen on eBay and videogon. Maybe that guy wasn't up to speed on used gear pricing?

He's mad at us for making Hog a moderator. He took his ball and went home.

SC
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I was thinking, when he asked that, he asked if it was just because it was a 2006 model. Apparently age didn't bother him, so that's cool.

All in all I think he will like it, I did, but I would like one that has a better contrast ratio and black level. When the bulb went on the pearl, I used the NEC XG in its place for over a year... I got a wee bit too used to the dark blacks again! Man they are nice.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all - brand new to the forum which sounds awesonme. Could really use some help along the lines of this topic.

I have an Epson EMP-830 LCD Projector which has worked great for years. It started to only work for an hour or so, then it would shut off. That turned into half an hour. I replaced the bulb and all was well for a hundred hours or less, then, same symptoms again. I replaced the bulb. Good to go for around 100 hours (1-2 hours at a time) and then same symptoms again... I replaced the bulb again.. no change to the symptoms. 30 mins to 1 hour - it shuts off.

Based on what I have heard from you smart folks, I was guessing it was the ballast - I have removed it (like surgery only harder) and now am wondering how I can test it. It is an EUC 200 AS/01.

Any help or suggestions would be really appreciated! Thanks much in advance - Shane
TheVerge

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You buying 50 dollar bulbs off eBay?
Shaner

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol - nope they are around $600 believe it or not. None from eBay!
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaner, welcome! IN general, the lifespan of most digitals is 3-5 years, assuming regular use. Try calling Epson, or any other manufacturer, and they'll either say that they don't fix projectors, or won't sell you parts. I had a yelling match with Infocus a long time ago, and the facts plain and simple is that these projectors aren't designed to be repaired, only replaced. I haven't googled the specs, but if it's 'years' old, it's nowhere near worth the $600 that you're paying for a new bulb. Stop now, and replace the set.

Trust me, I'm a board level tech, and if there were money to be made fixing digitals, I'd be all over it. I tried years ago, and lost money like crazy. Sorry for the bad news.
Shaner

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response! I understand what you are saying. The problem is I already bought a new bulb (it's for our church) and I see that a new ballast is about $100 and was hoping to positively show that the ballast is the problem, replace it and save a little of the investment.. I kinda wish we had stopped buying bulbs a while ago and got your advice a year ago or so!

Thanks again.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shaner,

Have you looked to see what, if any error messages the projector is generating when it shuts down?

Have you cleaned or replaced the filters when you were replacing the lamp?

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Shaner

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am ashamed to say I had to to call a friend to find out. Yes - the red "temperature" light flashes when it dies.. All filters replaced..
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The manual says a solid power light and flashing temp light means either 'fan-related error' or 'sensor error'. Given that and the fact that it will run for 30-60 minutes, I'd look elsewhere before looking at the ballast.

Given the error and behavior, I'd say there's a pretty good chance it's a heat-related shut-down. I don't know much beyond that, but I'd be looking at fans to verify they're all working, and that they stay working. If it's installed, I'd take it down and run it in a quiet room right next to you until it shuts down to see if you can hear a fan making noise or even quitting. It may not be fun to try to diagnose, as I don't think some machines will even run with the covers off.

Cheers,
SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Shaner

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks much! I will try that and let you know how I make out. I appreciate the advice.
mknightmd

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:35 am    Post subject: SONY VPL -VW60 Reply with quote

Guys, my beloved Black Pearl has killed 4 bulbs in a row, with one literally exploding. All fans work when directly tested, and sound like they all work (unit will only operate with cabinet closed). This leads me to suspect it is most likely power issue via ballast board. that being said, the ballast board looks pristine.

I don't have the gear to test high power circuitry like this, and I was hoping that macgyver655 would chime in. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
MK

CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac hasn't been here in a couple of months, and isn't answering emails, sorry!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: