Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Composite at its best: 1" C-Format VTR

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DolbySR

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Composite at its best: 1" C-Format VTR Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi there folks!

Finally the VTR I always wanted (besides a 2" Quadruplex machine - but they're just too big for my flat...) is in my media room!

It's a Sony BVH-2180PS - the three-hour version of the successful BVH-2000 series and it's the Production Series (...PS) version, too with integrated Time Base Corrector.
Furthermore, I got a Sony video control monitor, a waveform monitor and vectorscope by HP standing beside it (and my LeCroy Oscilloscope...).
We had to leave the console, where the whole equipment is originally mounted in place, back in Munich - was simply too big for our vehicle. I'll be shipped over the border by some transport service later.

As you may have guessed, this machine is simply huge - and heavy! But it's great fun to "play" around with it, use the jogwheel and see absolutely no artifacts when doing slow-motion or anything else with a tape. Those heavy and oversized three hour reels spin 'round and 'round - a pure joy to look at. In fact, I just sat there yesterday watching those reels turning. It has some sort of tranquilizing effect after some minutes...

The picture and audio quality is absolutely stunning! I did some test recordings from DVD and couldn't tell a difference at all - even with more than 11'000 hours on the clock of this machine, it still looks like new and works like a charm.
I bought a C-Format tape with some Star-Trek stuff on it. Hopefully it'll be here soon and I can see the full potential of this machine!

The only thing that's a little bit buggy, is that the machine won't go into servo lock when playing back a recorded tape. Picture and Audio are fine, no artifacts at all, but the red servo lock light won't go off. I'll address this issue later. Now I have to go and watch them reels turning again Very Happy
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool!! I love all the vintage Audio and video stuff being posted lately. Hmm I wonder why that is? Maybe we are all getting fed up with HDMI and its problems related to both audio and video.

I want to get a vector-scope or waveform analyzer at some point. Very cool set up there Dolby, whats your name anyhow?

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. That's awesome.

And here I thought I was crazy for picking up a couple of Panasonic pro S-VHS VTRs last week!!!

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice SONY!

SC what models? AG-XX?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AG-DS555 and AG-DS545. I definitely didn't need them; I just have a thing for pro gear. Haven't fired them up, yet. I need to clean them up a little. Overall, they're in pretty nice shape, though. Sheet metal is little rough on one, and a BNC barrel is bent a little on one...

I only paid $50 for the pair. Hopefully, they don't have a bajallion hours on them. The tape doors look pretty clean, so I don't think they've had a thousand tapes in and out. I bet they were bought right before DV took hold, so hopefully light use.

Geebus, they're heavy, though. About broke my back carrying the pair from the car to the basement. I admit I started having second thoughts as I carried them into the basement... "Damn, I'm going to have to keep moving these around now..."

I'm pissed, though... He had an AG-DVxxxx that was part of the kit. It was all listed for $50, somebody got to it first and cherry picked the DV.

SC
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww that sucks about the DV.

I always did like the AG decks. I ended up with a Panasonic PV-S4690 that was lightly used. It was 6 months old when I bought it
I used the crapouta it. I ran at least 400-500 tapes through it. Not even sure it works any more. BUT a great Pro-sumer deck in its day. Everything I recorded looked like the broadcast and I loved the perfect freeze frame for the races.

Only bad thing about this deck was the DSP processing. It did odd things to the video. I once had a person on screen nodding their head up and down but just the face was moving. The hair and ears were stationary.

CRT.

HD done right!
DolbySR

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
SC what models? AG-XX?

SC? Do you mean the TBC?

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DolbySR wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:
SC what models? AG-XX?

SC? Do you mean the TBC?

Sorry Dolby. I was referring to ecrabb. His initials are S.C.

While we are (back) on topic. I take it your super awesome Sony has TBC?

CRT.

HD done right!
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, sorry to hijack your thread!

How much does that bad boy weigh?

SC
DolbySR

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn hijackers Razz Wink

Indeed, my VTR has an internal TBC, model BKH-2150 - apparently the "best one ever made", according to some sources. With this machine, a TBC is really necessary for a stable picture when in shuttle mode. But also in regular play mode, it does a good job to eliminate timing jitter. I guess because my servo system isn't locked, this jitter is greater than normal... Some problem with the Control Track which is not being picked up from tape somehow...

About the weight. No idea, but my arms and my back told me, that it's HEAVY Very Happy A second person is absolutely necessary to carry this thing around or only move it from one table to an other one.
Similar with the video monitor. There must be bars of lead inside! But of course, CRT control monitors are heavy - especially when the case isn't made out of cheap plastic.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: