Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

IR bandpass filter?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mc86

TV/Projector: ECP 4500 (Vidikron box), ECP4500+, wanting 07MS/07MTS, evaluating pc soft-blend

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: IR bandpass filter? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have a Buffalo IR-100 distribution block. It came with some little neutral density filters that block stray CFL/other noise. If I watch the indicating light, they do their job. However, they also filter out the desired IR signals.

For some of my remotes, they remove too much of the signal - the primary one won't work from the couch, but does if I learn WAY forward! Evil or Very Mad If I taking the filter out, too much noise comes through and my other most common remote is slow to act (too much noise). UGH!

In short, the filter provided isn't a "Goldilocks" filter for me. I read a 1998 PDF on interference between the two located here: www.mdpi.com/1424-8220/10/4/3961/pdf

Anyone ever try to install a 950nm +/- 50nm bandpass filter over their IR sensor? Just curious...I'll need to find someone at the university who will let me play with their bandpass kit. Wink Other than that, I'll likely set my sensor back in a little tube or rabbit hole -- that way the sensor only sees me sitting at the couch...or is that crazy talk?

Matt
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the other way you might get success is to surround the IR receiver with some black foam. We did that at a dentist's office where we put 7 TVs in the ceiling, and wanted to narrow the beam of the IR pickup way down, since the TVs were mounted right over each chair. Worked like a hot damn!

The foam was like antistatic chip foam if I remember correctly. We build a 4 sided frame, glued it together and glued it to the front of the TVs.

Narrowing the beam and removing the filter might avoid the washing out of the pickup by the noise..
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate IR. I hate the pointing. I hate all the distribution crap, and the crappy, non-customizable remotes. I quit using it almost three years ago, and I don't miss it one bit.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Accessories All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: