Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Anyone know where to get a print wiring diagram for JVC RS40
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
RV- you're trying to reinvent the digital wheel. Smile (and yes, we CRTers know that the 'new' wheel is triangular, but it's been accepted that this new wheel is good.)

Do you know how many customers buy a new lamp in hopes the LCD haze will go away? I don't deal in digitals, and I get 2 calls a year like that. No question it gives manufacturers extra profit...I feel your pain though. WOrst case, throw it back on ebay and get most if not all of your money back...
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not poking fun at you Rvonse, but I have to laugh that three CRTers were looking at a digital on ebay and one bought it. Mr. Green
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RVonse wrote:
mp20748 wrote:
RVonse wrote:

That all makes perfect sense now Mike. All I got to say is if they are worried about a lamp explosion then the manufacture needs to give us customers a "projector must run" pushbutton switch so that we can override all the permissives and finally determine whether or not the projector is going to run with a new lamp or not. Its like JVC wants you buy new tubes for a crt projector before you even know for sure whether the chassis has other problems and is going to run or not. Yes, I can drop another $350 in this thing but what happens when I do and find out I still have more issues to deal with? Like for instance, the fan driver board that has "no good" written all over it by some other tech before me. At the moment I'm getting a little tired of gambling and guessing. This projector physically looks brand new with no hours but before spending another $350 it sure would have been comforting to override the permissives. And at least get the thing up and running a few seconds to know for sure.

I think thats bullcrap on JVC's part. They need some way to check the functionality of the rest of the projector without having a known good lamp.

And now we get to the heart of the issue. A good experienced repair tech knows how to disable the protection devices but does so knowing the hazards at hand and then also takes extra precautions for safety. Even then, giving the nature of your projector even a seasoned tech would try a new lamp first. Mostly because of the hazards.

And because of the known hazards is specifically why the manufacturers "DO NOT" give the customers a work around. Why would they give a customer a permissive work around knowing the lamp can explode and cause personal injury. That would be saying 'here, do this and if you survive you can sue us".

And CRT vs UHP is completely different devices but they both have shut down protection. So not a good analogy.

Now you've repeatedly said about the like new appearance of the lamp. So lets discuss that.

Is it a new lamp and maybe someone didn't know the timer had to be reset after the shut down timer engages? Maybe.

Is it a new but defective lamp and the projector senses a problem and wont turn on because it may explode? Maybe

Is it a used lamp and only a few hundred hours on it but failed prematurely? Maybe

Is it a worn out lamp with a still good appearance? Maybe.

Out of these 4 possibilities, how many can cause the lamp to explode? 3

Not good odds.

A good service tech would probably reset the timer to see if it would fully function but would "NOT" return it to the customer with that bulb. He would install a new one regardless.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
I am not poking fun at you Rvonse, but I have to laugh that three CRTers were looking at a digital on ebay and one bought it. Mr. Green

My interest was purely for profit..... Laughing
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:
Spanky Ham wrote:

My interest was being able to get rid of this old, obsolete dinosaur hanging from my ceiling.

OOoooohhhhhhhhh.... I'm just KIDDING!!!!!!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I kid, I kid!

Wink

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
macgyver655 wrote:
Spanky Ham wrote:

My interest was being able to get rid of this old, obsolete dinosaur hanging from my ceiling.

OOoooohhhhhhhhh.... I'm just KIDDING!!!!!!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I kid, I kid!

Wink

SC

What? You were on my potential buyers list.............. Laughing Laughing Laughing
RVonse

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:

A good service tech would probably reset the timer to see if it would fully function but would "NOT" return it to the customer with that bulb. He would install a new one regardless.
But how can you reset the timer without being able to see a service menu? Seems like a catch 22. Do they allow some sort of method to connect your computer direct to the projector cpu board? Or is there supposed to be some sort of reset button to reset the cpu eprom values?

Based on how new this looks and how it was originally advertised, I would doubt there would be over 10 hours of time on this bulb. But I can't figure out how to tell.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:
What? You were on my potential buyers list.............. Laughing Laughing Laughing

I wouldn't have been a good lead, though... That RS40 repaired would bring a lot more money than I'd be interested in spending on it. I have about $800 in my G70, and I likely won't be spending much more than that on whatever I replace it with, digital or not.

See, I wouldn't even be a good candidate for a G90 or any other 9" machine anymore; even those are way too rich for my blood at this point. In fact, I've only spent more than a grand on one single item in my theater, and I'm not too thrilled with that purchase. That and the PS3 are about the only new thing I have in my theater; everything else was used.

Around a grand or so - maybe $1200 - is about my pain point these days.

SC
RVonse

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:
Spanky Ham wrote:

We're all going to get one of these whether we like it or not its just a matter of time. Might just as well bend over and lube up for the future.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RVonse wrote:
macgyver655 wrote:
Spanky Ham wrote:

We're all going to get one of these whether we like it or not its just a matter of time. Might just as well bend over and lube up for the future.

Speak for yourself! Analog until the day I die!

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:

Just curious, Jeremy... What are you going to do in five years when you can't get tubes anymore? I mean, you're already using machines you really can't find good tubes for. Yeah, you can switch to a 9500 in a few years, but even if tubes are available, they're going to be horrendously expensive. Are you going to sell the Crown Vic just to buy a blue tube for your projector? Wink

SC
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:

Just curious, Jeremy... What are you going to do in five years when you can't get tubes anymore? I mean, you're already using machines you really can't find good tubes for. Yeah, you can switch to a 9500 in a few years, but even if tubes are available, they're going to be horrendously expensive. Are you going to sell the Crown Vic just to buy a blue tube for your projector? Wink

SC

You're looking at it all wrong. All you need to do is hoard as many machines as you can now, so when one breaks you just pull out another and off you go.

Why buy new when used will do?

EDIT: ...and I'm not opposed to d!gital projectors, just so long as they are free. Who in their right mind would pay for a POS d!gital Laughing

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
You're looking at it all wrong. All you need to do is hoard as many machines as you can now, so when one breaks you just pull out another and off you go.

Ah, OK. Well, if you have room to hoard, then knock yourself out. I don't.

AnalogRocks wrote:
Why buy new when used will do?

Indeed. I'm a big fan of used in many cases.

SC
richardc

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:45 am    Post subject: X3/RS40 Schematics Reply with quote

RVonse
Send me your E-Mail address and I will send you a link to my X3/RS40 Circuit diagrams
Regards
Richard
mc86

TV/Projector: ECP 4500 (Vidikron box), ECP4500+, wanting 07MS/07MTS, evaluating pc soft-blend

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this part of the philips bulb PDF that Mac posted:

"Average lamp life and light output is based upon a large sample population and defined that 50% of this
population will have >50% of the initial light output"

In essence, they tested a bazillion units and what they found is this: based on the data, at 2000 hours they will only claim that a minimum of 1/2 (median #) of their bulbs still throw more than 1/2 of the initial light output. To me, that is setting a disturbingly low bar. I suppose more than half working at half spec is some sort of messed-up betting man's odds way of thinking about product quality?

Now, I don't know how long the tails on the distribution curves are OR if the perhaps the bulb performance remains a constant new-like right up to 1950hours and then falls off a cliff...could be...BUT I will say stating their spec in this way reflects poor/incomplete technical communications at the best.

Matt
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I really need to point out the reduced light output, shifting color balance, and burn-in on CRTs; none of which can be fixed by replacing a $200-300 bulb.

People love to tout the 10,000-hour CRT lifespan, but unless you have a tiny and/or high-gain screen, the CRT will look good for closer to half that.

A digital wouldnt have a f*cking hour-counter burnt into the corner after playing the same game a few hours every couple of days one winter, either. Yes, I'm a little sore.

SC
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez Steve. he was only commenting on a manufacturers own document....not giving his opinion... Did you miss your morning coffee? Laughing
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I sort of used that post to respond to a bunch of posts... Seems to be a lot of "fanboyism" going around lately. Just pointing out that things aren't as bad as some make ot sound in digital land and and not as good as some claim in CRT-land.

I don't drink coffee. Wink

SC
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:

I don't drink coffee. Wink

Well now, that explains a lot of things...... Laughing Laughing

j/k
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get my caffeine in a Jack & Coke, Mac.

SC
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: