Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

[Blu-ray] Jurassic Park

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: [Blu-ray] Jurassic Park Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
The wife and I sat down and watched this 1993 film now that it was available on BD. I found I had to turn up the volume, even though this was a DTS-HD audio. Aside from that, we really enjoyed the film, both from a story perspective and from a visual ride. And while the move surely impressed audiences around the world during its original theatrical release, the semi-dated CGI was showing.

In reflection, I still myself amazed at how some movies can show technology to last a long time after their theatrical release while others do such a poor job. Is it the technology itself, the over use of it, or simply how the director chooses to use it? For instance, I still find 2001 a less dated movie than JP.

Beyond that, I have to still stand by my position in that the three movie offering only to be another one of the Hollywood penalties on consumers. I have no desire for the other movies, but when most purchased this set they did pay the piper, but for the results it is a personal valuation at the strongest example.

And then there is the often intrusive analytical side of me that sometimes gets in the way of enjoying a movie. From the first scene, I wondered how the accident could have happened. How does a partially lifted gate afford animal to break the magnetic seal between the cage and the pen?

Also, why would you have a sophisticated sealing system (re: cage+pen) and then use good ole human labor to open the cage door? What, no simple hoist? And then there is the myriad of interior doors of the human complex that have handles for turning bolts that do not exist. Ah-ha!

Do I chalk these items up to early director experience, or just treat them as trivialities of convenience?

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: [Blu-ray] Jurassic Park Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
In reflection, I still myself amazed at how some movies can show technology to last a long time after their theatrical release while others do such a poor job. Is it the technology itself, the over use of it, or simply how the director chooses to use it? For instance, I still find 2001 a less dated movie than JP.
it's not just the technology, the way it's filmed, the dialogue, way people are dressed, etc. Go and rent the original planet of the Apes, it's Hilarious. Starts off with Heston smoking a Cigar in the "cockpit" of the spaceship. Only thing on the control panel is a ginormous analogue wheel counter showing the date they left and the current date "Earth time". After they crash the director spends a good 15 minutes with them wandering around aimlessly around lake Powel, AZ, engaging in a completely pointless and contrived argument, on and on. Basically the first 30 minutes is completely pointless before the movie starts to get good.

WanMan wrote:
And then there is the often intrusive analytical side of me that sometimes gets in the way of enjoying a movie. From the first scene, I wondered how the accident could have happened. How does a partially lifted gate afford animal to break the magnetic seal between the cage and the pen?Also, why would you have a sophisticated sealing system (re: cage+pen) and then use good ole human labor to open the cage door? What, no simple hoist? And then there is the myriad of interior doors of the human complex that have handles for turning bolts that do not exist. Ah-ha!

Do I chalk these items up to early director experience, or just treat them as trivialities of convenience?
if your seeing stuff like that it means you have seen it before or your simply bored and just cannot get into the premise of the movie.
For instance, I have really intelligent friends who simply have no imagination at all. I could be watching a movie I'm really connecting with and they will get hung up on some silly little detail. The story the director is trying to tell is completely lost on them. Typically More true with Fantasy movies and movies with a "social message" than action, adventure, or drama. Avatar is a prime example of love/hate reaction
View user's photo album (2 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: