Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

iPad 3?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sparky015

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: iPad 3? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
So I am in the market for an iPad, but some googling turned up rumors of an upcoming iPad 3 release in the next month or two. I refuse to get bit and buy an iPad 2 when I could get it cheaper, or snag the new model in a short period of time. Problem is, all of these sites seem to be very speculatory and no one seems to know for sure. Does anyone know what is going on there? You would think if the release was Febuary or March, Apple would start taking pre-orders or something.

I am just diving into this, so anyone out there following it closely, would love to hear form you.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at apples refurbished models. A little better price with the same service. then you won't feel as bad if the ip3 comes out .

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went through the same searching as you and came up with similar info: That the iPad 3 is maybe due out in March 2012 or so and that it may have a faster (quad core?) processor, higher rez, and possibly some other things. They may also have an entry level version starting at $100 less ($399) with possibly with less features.

It's so fuzzy, the production cycles so short, and the current iPad 2 has everything I'm looking for, so I just bought the iPad 2. (I'm looking for a general purpose 'surfing' computer for the basement that could possibly double as a home theatre remote).

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Sparky015

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. That's all I am really looking for too. General purpose surfing so I don't have to lug around my laptop, possibly a remote for my Tivo / theatre, maybe a game or two (Words with Friends is addicting), and something to watch a movie on when I travel. I don't need quad core for that, and I plan on just getting the wifi only version, so I don't need the newer cell features supposedly the iPad 3 will have. I think my gut is saying just go with the 2. The 3 is probably going to be out of my price range for a while anyway.

I'm a little disapointed with the rumor mill in full swing, Apple isn't releasing any information at all for those potential buyers now on the fence, but oh well.

I didn't realize Apple had a refurbish site. I will definitely check that out. Besides my iPod, this is my first Apple purchase since my black and white Mac in '92!

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very few companies would be dumb enough to announce details on an upcoming product as it would, for the most part, completely kill sales of the current model.

In general, Apple never announces any details on their products or even acknowledges their existence before they're shipping or close to shipping. The iPhone and iPad when they were brand-new are notable exceptions (there was no existing model to kill sales on.)

While the original iPad was announced in January and shipped in April, the iPad 2 shipped about a week after it was announced last April.

So, I'd be surprised if see anything from Apple regarding an iPad 3 until April.

Now, just like every time Apple releases a new product, there will be a rush to buy the new thing and a glut of used previous-gen product. The prices will likely fall a little on the older stuff, but since iPads are a pretty hot item, the prices don't fall like you'd think they would. Looks like 16GB Wi-Fi iPad (which was $500 new), sells for $300-350 used. iPad 2's are closer to $400 - $100 off.

Athansios' suggestion to look at refurbs is excellent - if you can find what you want. Because they're popular, they're not easy to come by. But, if you check the refurb page every day, one will pop up. Refurb is great, though. Same warranty. Every time I've purchased a refurb, it looked exactly like new, with special refurb packaging being the only evidence it wasn't a new retail product. Here's the link to the store:
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad/wi_fi

If you're ready to buy, I'd grab a used or refurb iPad 2. If you're not in a hurry, you'll have to wait until mid-April, but may be able to get a slightly cheaper iPad 2 if you don't need the latest/greatest. But, I'm not sure if it's worth waiting two months to save $50-75 or not. That's your call.

Last thing... The entry-level iPad 3 will most likely be $499, just like the current entry-level iPad 2 and the iPad 1 before that.

Just some food for thought. I've been buying Apple products and watching the company for the better part of 30 years, so I'm happy to offer whatever advice I can.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Now, just like every time Apple releases a new product, there will be a rush to buy the new thing and a glut of used previous-gen product. The prices will likely fall a little on the older stuff, but since iPads are a pretty hot item, the prices don't fall like you'd think they would.

That was my experience. I started looking for an iPad right after the iPad 2 came out. If I'd been willing to pay $350-$400 for a used iPad (!?) it might not have been hard. But I was trying to find something under $300. I haunted the local craigslist (Denver and northern CO) for two MONTHS, sending out emails on many ipads, before I finally snagged one. I paid $300 for it (16GB wifi) but it included a $50 leather case.

So don't count on any bargains on iPad 2's when the 3 comes out.
Sparky015

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again guys. I think I'm going to grab a refurbed iPad2. I really don't want to wait until April, and it sounds like even then I won't be guranteed to get one, and I will be paying a premium. The websites indicate early Febuary to March for a release, but sounds like Apple is pretty consistant from what you guys have described. The 2 has all the features I need, and can't beat that refurb price. Really wish I didnt see any articles about the 3 so I wouldn't have to waffle, lol! Thanks again for all the feedback!
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
In general, Apple never announces any details on their products or even acknowledges their existence before they're shipping or close to shipping. The iPhone and iPad when they were brand-new are notable exceptions (there was no existing model to kill sales on.)

+1. This is sales & marketing 101 type stuff.

The only time you announce anything early is to try and kill sales of some competitor. "Wait for ours - it'll be better" type announcements.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: