Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Darbeevision
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Video Processors, Converters, Switchers, Cables
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VideoGrabber

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
BobNelson wrote:
I think it's the best thing since sliced bread.

I think it's about time to see this used in the screen shot thread

Post away! We're all eyes. Very Happy

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Oh come on now. lol

stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://darbeevision.com/view_news/id/50/title/DarbeeVision_Licenses_HDMI_Video_Processor_Design_to_Lumagen

Looks like it will be used in the next generation Lumagen VP..
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep that was posted earlier in the thread I think.

nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
Yep that was posted earlier in the thread I think.

nashou

Did not see that.. Embarassed
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darbee Darblet's are now available through CurtPalme.com!

See: http://www.curtpalme.com/Darbee.shtm

We're also bundling them with Radiance video processors. Save when you bundle with a Radiance Mini, or get one absolutely *FREE* when you purchase a Radiance XS or XE.

See: http://www.curtpalme.com/Radiance.shtm

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Ron W

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a read on a couple of other forums about connectivity and "handshake" issues when there is an AVR and/or Pre-Pro in the mix. That has created a purchase resistance in me about this product otherwise I would go ahead and order it.

Any comments?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron W wrote:
I have a read on a couple of other forums about connectivity and "handshake" issues when there is an AVR and/or Pre-Pro in the mix. That has created a purchase resistance in me about this product otherwise I would go ahead and order it.

Any comments?

There was a colour space issue that I believe was fixed quite some time ago (it only happened on some first generation of Darblet units). Units needed to be sent back to the manufacturer. I've sent a note off to confirm, but given that reviewers were talking about this months ago I would imagine it's no longer an issue.

I believe it also happened when Lumagen video processors were in the chain. Given that the units sold here are actually shipping from Lumagen (and Lumagen has announced that they licenced the technology behind the Darblet), I'm sure it's all been worked out. Either way, I've sent a note off to Jim P. of Lumagen to confirm.

To quote Josh Z's review:

Quote:
At present, the first generation of Darblet units have an HDMI handshaking issue that interacts with some equipment (including my own), which will force the device to convert the color space of a video signal to RGB regardless of what’s been input. For example, I’ve placed the Darblet after my Lumagen video processor in my signal chain. The Lumagen is programmed to output color in YCbCr 4:2:2 format. The Darblet changes this to RGB before it goes to my projector. A Darbee representative has confirmed that this is an error. The device is supposed to output the same color format that it takes in, and the company is working on a firmware update to correct this.

Honestly, this has not had any noticeable consequences in the video image on my screen. Still, all things considered, I’d prefer to keep everything in the original YCbCr format.

Unfortunately, the Darblet firmware cannot be upgraded by an end user. When Darbee Visual finishes the new firmware, owners will need to ship their units to the company to be updated. This is a nuisance, to be sure. Interested shoppers may wish to hold off on ordering a new Darblet until the next wave of units with corrected firmware is available. (In fact, this may be a moot point. The unit is currently backordered at all authorized retailers. By the time it comes back in stock, I believe that you should receive the updated version.)

Source: http://www.highdefdigest.com/blog/darbeevision-darblet/

Kal

Last edited by kal on Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:48 pm; edited 4 times in total
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal, that was the colorspace issue, not a handshake issue, though right?

Ron, I think the problems you mention are just people adding the Darbee to their chain, having problems with HDMI, then just blaming the Darbee because that's what they just added. The thing is, it's just HDMI in general, and adding the Darbee to the chain exposes a problem which is likely elsewhere in the chain - probably an AVR or display. HDMI can just be a royal pain in the ass.

I've got a very simple setup... Apple TV, Sony PS3, DirecTV receiver all connected to my Integra DHC-9.9, and that's connected to my JVC RS45, and I have handshake issues. Sometimes I have to switch back-and-forth once or twice to get it to handshake. Other times it works perfectly. My system worked perfectly with the HD Fury when I was running CRT, now it doesn't. What changed? The projector, right? People with a simplistic understanding of the situation would blame the JVC, but the reality is that the JVC works perfectly in thousands of installations. So, is it the JVC, or is it the Integra which just happened to work well with the HD Fury? Who knows?

Another example. I've got a buddy with a high-end receiver. $2500 piece. With a cable box, Apple TV, Roku, and a Dune player all connected, he'd get sparkles and audio drop-outs. Disconnect the Roku and they'd go away. It's a problem with the Roku, right? No, the Roku works fine in hundreds of thousands of installs. Unplug the Dune or the Apple TV and it everything would work fine. Is it a problem with those devices? Of course not. It's the combination. Swap out the $2500 receiver for a $500 receiver, and everything worked perfectly. Rolling Eyes

Blame HDMI, not the Darbee.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:

Yes. I'm not aware of any handshaking issues. I can't say I've read every forum post everywhere however.

Quote:
Ron, I think the problems you mention are just people adding the Darbee to their chain, having problems with HDMI, then just blaming the Darbee because that's what they just added. The thing is, it's just HDMI in general, and adding the Darbee to the chain exposes a problem which is likely elsewhere in the chain - probably an AVR or display. HDMI can just be a royal pain in the ass.

+1. Since the Darbee goes in the signal chain right before the display, often it's simply because they're using a really short HDMI cable (like 1-2 feet). Put in a longer 10-12 one and the problem goes away. Had the same issue myself recently between an HDMI splitter/switcher. 1' cable did not work, 10' did.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
ecrabb wrote:

+1. Since the Darbee goes in the signal chain right before the display, often it's simply because they're using a really short HDMI cable (like 1-2 feet). Put in a longer 10-12 one and the problem goes away. Had the same issue myself recently between an HDMI splitter/switcher. 1' cable did not work, 10' did.

Kal

This confound so many analog people. For years we were taught to use high quality cables and keep them as short as possible. Then the hellish HDMI comes along and royally screws that up.

I remember a guy we helped on here who had all 3 foot cables hooking all his system up. It would work intermittently.
He swapped to 6 foot cables and everything started to work.

Don't overlook the importance of cables.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim (of Lumagen) wrote me back:

Quote:
Note that we did make changes to overcome issues in the Darblet. They were having trouble when we had to change settings in HDMI and they have since made additional changes to their design.

I'm not entirely clear what exactly was changed, but my understanding that there is no handshaking issues with the units (any more than any other HDMI device). Wink

Kal

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
ecrabb wrote:

Yes. I'm not aware of any handshaking issues. I can't say I've read every forum post everywhere however.

Quote:

Kal

Oh so it has to go right before the display?

I thought it was after the Source device?

Or can it go anywhere in the chain?

Because if its right before the display I would need two and I can't see
spending over 600 for this, unless i see it in person.

Do they have a return policy if you don't like it?

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athanasios, aren't you using an HDMI splitter to feed the blend boxes? If so, you could just put it between the Lumagen and the HDMI splitter.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct. I wrote "Immediately" meaning you should not do any processing of the image after the Darbee. Splitting, distribution, etc, is fine. I should probably just say "Put it between your source and display". In your case before a splitter.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it, so before the Moome Mux. Hmm I might have to give this a try.

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:

Athanasios

Stop it Nash, focus on fixing that blend zone Razz

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbmeyer13 wrote:
Nashou66 wrote:

Athanasios

I have been watching movies almost every night since thursday last week. Not perfect but getting those new SVS PB1000 subs makes watching movies more fun now!!!

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
jbmeyer13 wrote:
Nashou66 wrote:

Athanasios

I have been watching movies almost every night since thursday last week. Not perfect but getting those new SVS PB1000 subs makes watching movies more fun now!!!

Athanasios
How many of them did you get, and in what arrangement did you set them up?

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
Nashou66 wrote:
jbmeyer13 wrote:
Nashou66 wrote:

Athanasios

Athanasios
How many of them did you get, and in what arrangement did you set them up?

I bought 2 PB1000's and have them Up front just inside my Main Phase Technology PC-800 HO's.
I have the Sub out from my Adcom GTP-830 to one Sub with the Cross over set to LFE and then use the right Line level out from that PB 1000 to the other PB 1000 LFE input.

I still have to dial it in correctly. I have no EQ but might buy an external unit like the miniDSP or a Behringer Feed Back Destroyer. Both use Mics to measure the frequency response I was also looking into Velodyne's SMS 1, but those are hard to find used. I dont want to pay 500 for that. And I like my Adcom so a less expensive EQ is what I am after. Not even sure if I need one yet, i have to graph out the dual subs response first.

And my room is close to 4k cubic feet and these little subs doing are surprisingly well in my room.

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Video Processors, Converters, Switchers, Cables All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8
Jump to: