Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Denon AVR 5805 - No power - I'm finished with repairs :D
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Denon AVR 5805 - No power - I'm finished with repairs :D Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Picked up this beast for a deal, couldn't say no once I saw the weight... 97 pounds!! Shocked

The receiver will be here soon, but the seller says its dead, no power at all, I have been in contact with him and he has given me as much information as he can.

So in the mean time I am wondering if this is a known problem with this model? Or is this something thats going to require potential major surgury? Twisted Evil

I hope I can get this thing working, it will be a good replacement for the Pioneer VSX-80TXV Mr. Green

Last edited by Jeremy112 on Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:24 pm; edited 3 times in total
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm naming you the new hoarder of the forum. Worse than Analog, Mac and myself.

OTOH, I can't speak for Mac, but Analog and I simply have no more room to put anything...
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lmao curt!!

I only bought it cause it was affordable and huge! (and has 34 video inputs!!) Razz

TV/Projector: Sony VPL-VW60 and Toshiba 65H84 CRT RPTV

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only bought it because my wife didn't want a hernia....
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahahaha,

I only bought it cause I had to get to it before you:P

and it weighs 97 pounds!!! Shocked

Very Happy

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't know it existed without me....

I found it first!

Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I know lol, but at least you found me a flagship receiver that wasnt from pioneer, and it was affordable Wink Razz

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until it's running it's just a door stop....... Laughing
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:

OTOH, I can't speak for Mac, but Analog and I simply have no more room to put anything...

I usually try to fix and sell the crap I drag home....... Laughing
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
I'm naming you the new hoarder of the forum. Worse than Analog, Mac and myself.

You can always buy a bigger house....IF you can find the way out of the one you currently have Laughing

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:

Mac will you be my new best friend?? Laughing Actually I was hoping you would just happen to know something about it... This behemoth could take some serious brain work Mr. Green

Oh, and its not just a door stop, could use it to keep a yacht anchored too lol

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll have some better troubleshooting opportunities once it shows up (and after you pay for the medical bills for the hernia the FedEx or UPS driver is going to have) at your doorstep....

Or it might be something as simple as the fuses on the power input board, since the seller posted that the owner's dog chewed on the power cord before it 'went dark' (wonder if the dog survived...).

macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
macgyver655 wrote:

Mac will you be my new best friend?? Laughing Actually I was hoping you would just happen to know something about it... This behemoth could take some serious brain work Mr. Green

Let me know when it arrives.....

Maybe you'll get lucky and it's just a bad power cord or fuse.
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:
Jeremy112 wrote:
macgyver655 wrote:

Let me know when it arrives.....

Maybe you'll get lucky and it's just a bad power cord or fuse.

That would be nice, too easy, but nice Smile I'll keep you all posted Thumbs Up

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh the long awaited day of delivery, 10 days after purchase it will finally be here!! FedEx was nice enough to let it sit on a truck 15 minutes away from me to go "out for delivery" and instead of delivering it saturday like they could have so easily done, it sat for two days at their location...

Anyway the point is it will be here! I am really hoping it is just a fuse, I want to see what this beast can dish out! Mr. Green

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I got it!

The poor thing has been molested by some idiot who thought he knew what he was doing...

People, if you disassemble something, and when you reassemble it, and you have 3 different style screws all being screwed into one thing that takes ONE screw style only.... STAY THE HELL OUT OF ELECTRONIC DEVICES!!

Luckily it appears as though the faceplate gave him a workout (since the glue that holds the plastic frame to the metal faceplate is all unglued and the plastic frame with the electronics is now almost fully loose)

So aside from some cosmetics on the face, it appears to be good otherwise. the bottom plate where the feet of the receiver are located, is slightly bent, but nothing noticable, and it can be straightened out.

THIS is how I expect quality equipment to look! thick aluminum plate sides, and aluminum face, and just the layout inside is amazing, its like a small city! Very Happy

Let the work begin! Twisted Evil

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

Well its been over 30 hours since I received the Denon, and since then I have fixed the internal plastic structure that is glued to the faceplate, repaired the pushed in push buttons, fixed the drop down door on the face, repaired a broken ground wire, properly placed screws where they go, and managed to make it look like a stereo instead of a heap of electronics!

That was all yesterday. Today so far I have just been looking it over, and its a good thing I did so. I didn't notice this yesterday, but it appears someone has worked on the front main power amp assembly. You can tell because solder contacts are VERY badly soldered, some not completely soldered, and some almost shorting each other out.

Further investigation on this baord reveals 2 transistor chips that are not of the same model that is in the rest of the receiver, one of these 2 chips appears to read open, and the other reads all over the place...

I am thinking this could be the problem? I will find out more once I have removed the curcuit board and do some more testing...

So far things are looking up! Hopefully this is the issue, and hopefully within a week or so its sitting in the rack!

On a side note... is it possible that when the "dog chewed the power cord" that could have caused thes transistor chips to blow? Otherwise I am not finding much else neither visually or testing, that could say otherwise.

Ill keep everyone posted on the status of the B34ST

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:

On a side note... is it possible that when the "dog chewed the power cord" that could have caused thes transistor chips to blow?

Need location ids to answer that question....
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:

Not sure what you mean by that, do you mean the location of the transistor? The boards? :-\

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
macgyver655 wrote:

Not sure what you mean by that, do you mean the location of the transistor? The boards? :-\

The location id is the number stamped on the board by the part. Depending what type transistors these are it would start with a Q or an IC or a D followed by some numbers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 1 of 14
Jump to: