Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

SHOULD I SWAP A SONY 1271 CRT FOR A Panasonic PT-AE7000 LCD

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should I swap the Sony 1271 CRT for a Panasonic PT-AE7000 LCD
Yes
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
No
66%
 66%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 9

tbsb9595

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: SHOULD I SWAP A SONY 1271 CRT FOR A Panasonic PT-AE7000 LCD Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I am looking at gaining picture quality, but I don't not necessarily need more brightness so i am considering changing my Sony 1271 CRT (720P) out for a highly rated Panasonic PT-AE7000 ($3000) LCD projector (1080P). It is supposed to be top notch under $4000, but I would like your opinions on the Panasonic projector v.s. the Sony. My screen is a 96" 4:3 FORMAT (for now) 1.0 gain that I plan to still use, and I just bought a new Oppo Dvd player. Thanks!
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put the money you save into a dividend paying stock . Very Happy

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would consider the $2700 RS45.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
I would consider the $2700 RS45.

Why do you suggest the RS45? Have you seen it or compared it to the Panasonic?
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because its cheaper, has to be a lot better than the RS20 I am using now, and if that holds sufficient water then I do not doubt it is sufficient to effectively compete against 1271.

How many people on this forum do you expect to have compared the Panny to anything else? I personally cannot see buying into an entry-level digital for more than $2K, unless it is the JVC. But it seems you have already made up your mind.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the AE-7000 and some other digital PJs at the same price range.
The panasonic's strongest point, isn't it's picture, but it's features, electric zoom and focus, nice menus, lens memory etc.
All the other PJs I saw gave significantly better picture: EPSON TW6000, JVC X30, SONY ES30 .
All the PJs were calibrated.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, someone is selling an RS50 for <$2K on Vid. Claims he bought it from AVS and it has 300 hours on it. How convenient my Amex got compromised in the past 24 hours. LOL

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy the Sony HW30. THe Rs45 is going to suffer from the same problems that plaqued the previous model RS40. THe Pany 7000 is no match for the HW30 for IQ, yes it has the nice lens adjustment and one button CIH, if that is more important than image then go for it. If it the best image and problem free operation then get the Sony.
opv

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The epson TW6010 is much better than the sony. the sony's black levels look like two generations behind the epson.
WTS

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that depends on what reviews you read. The Epson 6010 is suppose to be a nice unit but it will still be plaqued with dust blobs like all LCD projectors. Plus from what I've read it still has the LCD look to it. But if you like that look then that would be a good choice.

As for the blacks, unless you have the perfect room you're not going to see the difference and no matter what you do. Neither of them will have a fade to black like a good CRT. But in the shadow details it will beat a CRT. I have a HW30 and it doesn't have the fade to darkness that my Zenith 1200pro has but it's inner detail and shadow detail is better. And there is no way an LCD is better than a LCOS type in that dept.

opv

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not relying on reviews.
I've seen an A/B test between the two projectors, and there is no comparison. it's that obvious.
I agree that in order to enjoy blacks properly you need a dark room (and a CRT), but that doesn't mean you can't see the difference between the projectors in a living room with bright walls.
I'm a CRT man myself, but the digitals are getting better and better.
WTS

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the sony you saw must have been set up poorly then.

Actually I'm curious where you saw a Epson 6010 because they haven't started shipping them yet?

Edit, my mistake I guess they started shipping a few weeks ago.

Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen the Sony, but the JVC is much better than the Epson.
opv

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
I haven't seen the Sony, but the JVC is much better than the Epson.

I don't agree.
I've seen an A/B test between the Epson and the JVC X30. surprisingly, there was no clear winner. not even in scenes in which I expected the JVC to be much better than the Epson.
Besides that, the JVC has convergence problem, different for each unit. these problems can't be solved by the vertical and horizontal panel shift calibrations. it requires zone convergence.
Both the projectors are very good.
WTS

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well considering the 6010 is bascially the same as the 5010 PQ wise and there are lots of reviews by none reviewers on AVS saying otherwise. BUt by the sounds of it you've seen them all so you know. You must be an Epson fanboy. I'm sure tbsb9595 can find his way to AVS and read for himself and make up his own mind.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose all of the A/B comparisons were done with complete calibrated units, too. I once caught some fool going into Costco adjusting all of the Sony LCDs to look terrible. No idea if he worked for one of the competing manufacturers, or just s disgruntled consumer having the hate for Sony.

Until both units are made to perform their best, A/B comparisons with have limited use.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan,
I saw the 4 projectors in two events. the Epson, Pana & Sony at one place and the JVC vs. Epson in another place.
All the projectors were calibrated.
Actually, the guy that invited me to his home to test the JVC and the Epson, really wanted to take the JVC, he actually tried to find reasons to take the JVC, but he decided not to.
The Epson we tested wasn't the 6010 but the 9000 which is an europian model. maybe they make them better for europe...

WTS
I never heard of an Epson fanboy before. it's not considered an exciting company like Apple or something, it's a company known for it's printers.
I also mentioned earlier, that I'm a CRT man, so I'm more of a Barco fanboy than an Epson one.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unto each their own, but I have yet to see a LCD pj including the Epsons that I liked better than the JVC. The overall native cr of the JVC makes it stand above the Epson.
opv

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham,
I expected the JVC to be superior to the Epson for the exact same reasons you mentioned.
But, surprisingly, it was an equal match.
We measured CR of 8000:1 on the Epson panels, which isn't bad for an LCD, and I guess that the combination of high CR panels and a good DI can give very good results.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: