Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Huge Contrast Ratio

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
km987654

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Huge Contrast Ratio Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Can someone explain these figures please.

http://www.epson.com.au/products/projector/EH-TW9000W_specs.asp

Apparently this projector can produce a contrast ratio of 200,000:1

Just thinking about this. This means that white is 200,000 times bighter than black right?? but it doesn't mean black is actually black.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure if you are talking this pj or the subject in general. For this pj, it is with a dynamic iris. The native contrast is closer to 4k to 1.

For the subject in general,
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_13_2/feature-article-contrast-ratio-5-2006-part-1.html
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a "dynamic" contrast ratio, what does it give for the static contrast ratio?? Itll be lucky to be much more than 5,000:1
HogPilot

TV/Projector: Vizio P702ui-B3, Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD & 111FD

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most projectors with dynamic irises make claims of ridiculously high contrast ratios. The manufacturer generally measures these by putting the projector in "torch" mode (high bulb, iris full open, max zoom, highest color temp), and measuring white. How they measure black is anyone's guess - do they keep the projector in that configuration, display a fully black screen, and then clamp down the iris? Do they put it at min zoom, put the bulb on normal/low, and then change the color temp to a warmer/dimmer setting? No one really knows.

However the main point I'm driving home is that the quoted contrast ratios are completely unattainable as the projector would be actually used by someone. Often reviewers will measure the projector's on/off CR without the use of the manual iris, and although this is much more useful information than the mfr specs, it still doesn't really represent how the projector would be used at home as most people engage the auto-iris to enhance CR. Some sites will actually produce useful dynamic CR measurements, however one must keep in mind that the dynamic CR can vary significantly depending on how the projector is set up and the material that it is being fed.

Your best bet is to read reviews from trusted reviewers that hopefully compare the CR performance of the projector you're looking at to others in its class. FYI, I would not consider "projectorcentral.com" to be a "trusted review" site. Not only does the editor have a strong bias for LCD (Panasonic projectors in particular), but his reviews have steadily become less objective (providing real/accurate measurements) and more like subjective opinion pieces.

He's mad at us for making Hog a moderator. He took his ball and went home.

SC
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a demo of the Epson last week at a local high-end HT store... The black levels were surprisingly good, and frankly the sharpness blew our CRT's out of the water. The image was also extremely bright too. I hate to say it but I really think I could live with the projector.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, how were you able to see this in the states? It seems that every link I viewed upon a Google search was for Australia or Europe. Also, what could you compare it do in your observed digital experience, and what was it being offered for ($$$)?
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wan, the Epson 9000W is just the European/World market version of the 5010e.

Epson EH-TW9000W = Epson Home Cinema 5010e

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Wan, the Epson 9000W is just the European/World market version of the 5010e.

Epson EH-TW9000W = Epson Home Cinema 5010e

SC

Right...The one I saw was actually the 6010. Which is the same as the 5010 with a THX mode and has a support for an A-Lens. I think it's only sold by custom installers, oh yeah the case is black too. The CR rating is the same...The image does look more "Digital" than a CRT so it would take some getting used to...It's really hard to find much fault with it.

It had the best 3D I've seen up to now...Bright image with lots of POP and I could not see any ghosting. Its hard for me to think of Epson as a state of the art projector manufacturer...I just think of the old Epson dot-matrix printers when I see the name.

Mike

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: