Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Video editing software that can crop 16x9 out of 4x3 image?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: Video editing software that can crop 16x9 out of 4x3 image? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
No NOT a Tippard chinese spam post.

I have a bunch of recordings that are off analog cable. They are 16x9 leterboxed in a 4:3 screen.

I'm looking for a piece of video software that can chop the black bars off the top and bottom leaving just the 16x9 video.
They are in Mpeg2 format 720x480.

Any suggestions?

And, as always I'm cheap so free is better Mr. Green

EDIT: added the funny about tippard

CRT.

HD done right!

Last edited by AnalogRocks on Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (27 photos)
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Video editing software that can crop 16x9 out of 4x3 ima Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
I have a bunch of recordings that are off analog cable. They are 16x9 leterboxed in a 4:3 screen.

I'm looking for a piece of video software that can chop the black bars off the top and bottom leaving just the 16x9 video.

Any suggestions?

Bet your now wishing you didn't delete all those spammers...... Laughing
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Video editing software that can crop 16x9 out of 4x3 ima Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:

Any suggestions?

Bet your now wishing you didn't delete all those spammers...... Laughing

YOU READ MY MIND :LOL:

CRT.

HD done right!
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually when I saw the title and then saw the user name I was going to contact the Canadian Mounted Police and report an abduction........ Laughing
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:
Actually when I saw the title and then saw the user name I was going to contact the Canadian Mounted Police and report an abduction........ Laughing

Awwww that would have been awful, I look terrible in red.

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUMP still lookin

CRT.

HD done right!
zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are they stored in a non-analog format? if so i bet that you could do that with the imagemagic suite of tools. i've done similar on a smaller scale.

step one, pull apart the frames. with "convert"
step two crop each frame with "convert -crop"
step three assemble into a video with combine"

it's all command line programmable so the machine does all the brute force for you. you'll need a whack of scratch disk for the frame storage, but it would work. and it's free.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AR,
What are you playing the files with? MPC-HC has really nice aspect ratio control. You can just zoom the image using the arrow keys. Not what you were after but might be a quick fix.

http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/

It also has some really cool sharping pixel shaders that can bring out nice detail on SD files. I had not watched an SD-DVD in years on my projector because they looked so soft. I recently watched the whole Star Trek Enterprise series on DVD using the sharpening and it really looked decent.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure if this will work, but my best friend said he just bought VHS to DVD 5.0.
http://www.honestech.com/main/vhs-to-dvd-50-deluxe.asp
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEby wrote:
AR,
What are you playing the files with? MPC-HC has really nice aspect ratio control. You can just zoom the image using the arrow keys. Not what you were after but might be a quick fix.

http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/

It also has some really cool sharping pixel shaders that can bring out nice detail on SD files. I had not watched an SD-DVD in years on my projector because they looked so soft. I recently watched the whole Star Trek Enterprise series on DVD using the sharpening and it really looked decent.

Mike

Just got back to this. They are playing on a Samsung Galaxy Tab it doesn't have the aspect ratio control.

I figured it out. I used Handbrake, let it do an auto-crop, after converting the MPEG2 file to H.264 MPEG4. Viola, full 16x9 crop from the 4:3 video file and full screen on play back on the 'Tab.

One strange thing though. The Beyond TV transcodes the 720x480 MPEG2 file to 720x960 H.264 hmmmm....

CRT.

HD done right!
Jim5506

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Video editing software that can crop 16x9 out of 4x3 ima Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:

Any suggestions?

I just did what you want last night.

I have a copy of White Christmas recorded in SD off my TiVo but the picture was 16X9 letterboxed in the 4X3 frame.

I used VideoReDo TVSuite V4 to reincode the stream cropping off the black bars on top and bottom and expanding the screen to 16X9.

Here's a link - http://www.videoredo.com/en/index.htm

It is not free ($97 or so) but it works and does so very well and can do an HD stream also - the best.

I cut out the commercials and saved it as a .Tivo file then went back and reloaded it and cropped the 4X3 image to 16X9 and burned it to a DVD - worked great.

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Video editing software that can crop 16x9 out of 4x3 ima Reply with quote

Jim5506 wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:

Any suggestions?

I just did what you want last night.

I have a copy of White Christmas recorded in SD off my TiVo but the picture was 16X9 letterboxed in the 4X3 frame.

I used VideoReDo TVSuite V4 to reincode the stream cropping off the black bars on top and bottom and expanding the screen to 16X9.

Here's a link - http://www.videoredo.com/en/index.htm

It is not free ($97 or so) but it works and does so very well and can do an HD stream also - the best.

I cut out the commercials and saved it as a .Tivo file then went back and reloaded it and cropped the 4X3 image to 16X9 and burned it to a DVD - worked great.

I used handbrake, it's free and works really well. I needed to crop the 16x9 out of the 4:3 for use on a tablet. The other side effect was the reduced video size. Combined with MP4 compression a 1 hour show less the commercials (44min run time) comes in under 700mb and will fit on a CD-R! How cool is that?

CRT.

HD done right!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: