Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Crestron system problems...

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laur

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:53 am    Post subject: Crestron system problems... Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hello, I'm a newbie here and I need help with 2 Crestron touchpanels TPMC 10 and TPMC 8x that lost conectivity with system and/or access point... Tried to reset the panels, manually assign IP and select network, reset the CP2E, change the wireless access point /or with a router, finally bought from ebay another WAP Crestron CEN WAP ABG 1G, but still no luck.... The panels see the network, show maximum signal but the ethernet symbol is still red and no connection...Any suggestions?
I think I need some software (Crestron toolbox) from Crestron, I ntensely search the net for some free software but no luck. I register also to crestron, but they don't offer support to end users...
Thanks,Nick.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should find some help here, but yes, Crestron really protects their dealer network, so most likely you will need to go through a dealer if you're not one yourself.
Laur

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a dealer and I was trying to avoid going to a dealer...Ever since I got this system, some 4-5 years ago, I got only problems.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, considering no one else has chimed in, you're probably stuck. If you're so inclined, why not rip out the Crestron and use something like a Harmony remote that you can do yourself?

Otherwise call Crestron. By your post, I can't tell whether you had an incompetent installer/programmer, have hardware faults or (no offense), have unrealistic expectations of what the system will or won't do, or are upset with any reprogramming charges as you change equipment).

I'm not a dealer or programmer, and generally have stayed away from the programming end of stuff, but have sure heard an earful from end users that complain about the programming charges that dealers charge when you change a piece of equipment.

Unfortunately that comes with the territory. A Crestron system is like owning a Porsche, you can't get away with the $49 tuneup special that the corner garage charges.

Crestron in general is great stuff and is reliable. If you've had repetitive hardware failures, contact Crestron, otherwise it sounds like you do need a dealer to work through this.
Laur

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your time, yes I'm stuck, I think if I could get the Crestron toolbox I could've reassign the IP's and all, but without I'm really stuck...I already talk to some crestron programmer, they will charge me 2,500 for reprogramming all system.And yes, I am very much inclined to switch to Logitech Harmony, because I had enough of those close circuit casta system, but as I did some research on ebay and other sites, they say that for the touchpannels I cannot get too much, the only valuable can be CP2E.Since I need to control only home theatre, videoprojector and lights, I think Harmony can do that too ?
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone else should chime in here, I'm not an integrator.

Don't feel too bad, a local pub put in a cool Crestron touch screen for changing all the channels and volumes on the TVs (about 25 of them). They paid $11K or so for the setup, and the guy that put it in was a competent programmer and installer.

Then about 18 months later they had a TV blow, so they bought a new one. Of course it was a different brand, and the IR sensor didn't work. They called him.... $800 to reprogram the system for the one TV. They blew a gasket, and called me. That's when I found out the above that I already posted when I called Crestron.

and yes, the stuff depreciates like crazy.

Also, look at RTI. That's also an all-on-one solution remote.

But again, I'm not a system integrator. C'mon fellow forum members, chime in here, you guys know more about this than I do.
drice1234

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I control all of the devices in my home theater and lighting with a Harmony remote. I am using X10 devices for the lighting. You can buy an adapter that recieves the infrared signal from the Harmony and converts it to X10 signals. The harmony remote is extremely easy to program. You basically go to the website, input your devices into the software and then download the codes. You may want to check to see if Crestron has an interface that can receive X10 signals so you can utilize the devices already installed to control your lights. I also use the "HomeSeer" home automation software for all of the scheduled events for my system. I believe they have a software driver to the Crestron system.
Dan
Laur

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys. I checked also RTI, they look very nice but they are expensive too, and I'm afraid what is expensive will have problems like Crestron. I have also registered to their site, sent them 2 mails asking for some instructions but they don't ever bother to reply...This after they took thousands of $$$ for the equipment that we bought. I don't want this to happen anymore.
Laur

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also I was suggested about another system, IRule, I will try to find out more today about it, but I'm 85% that I will give up Crestron.
jkv

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: try this.... Reply with quote

I don't have a tmpc8x in front of me so you will need the tpmc10 for this

notice the two buttons on the left side and the two up/down buttons on the right (not the "pad"); these buttons are numbered as follows:

1 - top left
2 - bottom left
3 - top right (up arrow)
4 - bottom right (down arrow)

press the following buttons quickly and in this order:

1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4

this will get you into the setup menu

on the left side there should be an area titled "wifi setup" with 3 buttons; "wifi access point", "panel IP address" and "ctrlsys IP address". Press each of these to view/modify the network values.

If you are unsure of what they should be, post here what you show for each of these and I'll check back later

HTH
Laur

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks, I entered many many times new IP's and new networks and resetting from the setup menu of TPMC 10 and 8 but useless. I think you need the crestron toolbox in order to go on CP2 main module and rediscover the panels from there.
But I think I made up my mind, I will remove all crestron and go with 2 Ipads and IRule system, seem pretty easy and updated.
So thanks again for trying to help but as I said, I will change the system and sell whatever I can from crestron.
fuzzybee

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you know you can (usually) telnet into Crestron processors?
Laur

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No,I didn't know... I will google it to see how. Do you think with telnet I will make again the tpm discoverable by the system?
ps. btw, what is your opinion about the Irule system?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Accessories All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: