Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Minimizing 3D ghosting with Nvidia and EXT V3

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Moome Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prover

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Minimizing 3D ghosting with Nvidia and EXT V3 Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi together,

for 3D-bluray playback I use a HTPC (with Nvidia GTS450 Gfx) and the EXT V3 box. The resolution I use is 710p@120Hz, the projector is a SONY 1292. The results are so far ok but the ghosting at the bottom of the screen is really an issue. The Nvidia control pannel provides a function to adapt the timing settings (porches etc.) for every resolution. So before buying something like a lumagen scaler I thought it would be worth trying to change the timing settings in order to minimize the ghosting. Is there anyone around that has done this for Nvidia or the 1292?

Began

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Prover,

Criagr, told me to use 720p/96hz and that will reduce the ghosting on my G70. However I have not try it. Will let you know once I try this out.

Cheers
Began
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need to tweak these especially on a G70, but use timings similar to these:

720p 96Hz
Vtotal 1270
Vactive 720
Vfront 125
Vsync 5
Vtrate 95.9
Htotal 1600
Hactive 1280
Hfront 80
Hsync 40
Clock 194877123

The more vertical blanking the less ghosting... that is assuming you can make adjustments to your glasses timing.

If you can't adjust glasses timing delay, what you will need to do is adjust the vertical front or back porches to move the active image inside the total pixels such that it aligns with the glasses timing transition. Moving the active image may not work however because your projector may not have enough centering control range to compensate.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Minimizing 3D ghosting with Nvidia and EXT V3 Reply with quote

prover wrote:
Hi together,

for 3D-bluray playback I use a HTPC (with Nvidia GTS450 Gfx) and the EXT V3 box. The resolution I use is 710p@120Hz, the projector is a SONY 1292. The results are so far ok but the ghosting at the bottom of the screen is really an issue. The Nvidia control pannel provides a function to adapt the timing settings (porches etc.) for every resolution. So before buying something like a lumagen scaler I thought it would be worth trying to change the timing settings in order to minimize the ghosting. Is there anyone around that has done this for Nvidia or the 1292?

Anyway why on earth would you use 120 for BD? Wink

BD is frame packed 24Hz which is frame sequential 48Hz when converted in the processor. 96Hz is an even 2x multiple and 120Hz is not. 120 Hz requires a 3:2 pulldown and results in judder when 96Hz is judder free. So 96Hz is similar to running 2D BD at 72Hz or 48Hz where 120 would be like running BD at 60Hz.

Furthermore, CRT does not flicker at 96Hz, so the 120Hz is just wasting bandwidth. We hardly have enough bandwidth already so 120Hz is just dumping 20% of your image quality out the window. If you are in the USA and want to watch OTA or SAT you need a 120Hz mode. But since you are in Europe you don't need 120Hz for anything as your HD comes in at 1080i 50Hz from SKY and the like. So for sat you should set up 100Hz which is very close to 96Hz and can use nearly identical settings Wink

I set a bunch of CRT's up in Europe the past summer with the 96/100Hz modes and it was fantastic. You guys have one up on the USA for CRT 3D because the 100Hz ghosts much less than our 120Hz modes that we are forced to run in the USA. I wish we had 50Hz sources for 3D in the USA as this 60Hz base sucks.

Kind regards,
craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
Began

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Craigr,

I'm using HTPC is this timing workable. I try but G70 can't sync.

BTW can you give me the timing for 1080p/48 hz and 1080 x 817 / 72hz

Cheers
Began
CIR Engineering wrote:
You will need to tweak these especially on a G70, but use timings similar to these:

720p 96Hz
Vtotal 1270
Vactive 720
Vfront 125
Vsync 5
Vtrate 95.9
Htotal 1600
Hactive 1280
Hfront 80
Hsync 40
Clock 194877123

The more vertical blanking the less ghosting... that is assuming you can make adjustments to your glasses timing.

If you can't adjust glasses timing delay, what you will need to do is adjust the vertical front or back porches to move the active image inside the total pixels such that it aligns with the glasses timing transition. Moving the active image may not work however because your projector may not have enough centering control range to compensate.

craigr
prover

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

well after I don't know how many changes and tries to find an adjustment for the porches in order to reduce ghosting especially for green I have finally given up Crying or Very sad. In the meantime I bought a 3D capable DLP beamer for 3D and I must say this opened really my eyes Shocked. I got in 1/2 hour a Bright picture with zero ghosting, really amazing. Don't get me wrong I will never exchange my CRT for 2D but for 3D playback DLP is definitely my choice! Cool

Cheers!
prover

MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

prover wrote:
Hi guys,

well after I don't know how many changes and tries to find an adjustment for the porches in order to reduce ghosting especially for green I have finally given up Crying or Very sad. In the meantime I bought a 3D capable DLP beamer for 3D and I must say this opened really my eyes Shocked. I got in 1/2 hour a Bright picture with zero ghosting, really amazing. Don't get me wrong I will never exchange my CRT for 2D but for 3D playback DLP is definitely my choice! Cool

Cheers!
prover

That's what I did too almost a year ago. In my case it wasn't just ghosting, brightness was an issue too. The DLP is just barely bright enough. Are you using the Nvidia Glasses? .. IMO they fit too tight and hurt after a while...Have you noticed this?

I understand Nvidia is coming out with redesigned glasses that are more comfortable and not as dark. I'll buy a pair as soon as they become available. I'm hoping the new glasses will give me a bit head room on brightness also.

CRT still rules for 2D in my book!

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEby wrote:
prover wrote:
Hi guys,

Cheers!
prover

That's what I did too almost a year ago. In my case it wasn't just ghosting, brightness was an issue too. The DLP is just barely bright enough. Are you using the Nvidia Glasses? .. IMO they fit too tight and hurt after a while...Have you noticed this?

I understand Nvidia is coming out with redesigned glasses that are more comfortable and not as dark. I'll buy a pair as soon as they become available. I'm hoping the new glasses will give me a bit head room on brightness also.

CRT still rules for 2D in my book!

Mike

well you are right Mike, they fit a little bit too tight. Especially for people with glasses like me it is even more uncomfortable. I also heard the new nvidia glasses are going to be much better in comfort and brightness, perhaps I have to buy a couple of them also.

Xeno

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Moome Products All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: