Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Copying from old PS3 to new but still using both?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Copying from old PS3 to new but still using both? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi guys!

I've set up a "temporary" home theatre in the basement of our new house and bought a second PS3 to use as the Blu-ray player (and for games too). The existing PS3 is still going to be used up in the family room. It's stuck there now and the family won't give it back. Wink

I'd like to move all saved games, downloaded updates to the new PS3 so that I have the "same" setup on both PS3s. I understand that over time they'll diverge if you play on one of course ...

What's the easiest way to do this? I don't want to have to go through and save individual files to a USB key or something.

The box the PS3 came in talks about using the "Data Transfer Utility" but it seems to be more about transferring data to a replacement PS3 system, not a second PS3.

Will using the PS3 "Data Transfer Utility" remove the contents from the old one?

Note: All of the content we play/use is 100% legit. Most of it is in disc form, some games are 100% digital downloads off the PlayStation store.

When you buy content on the Playstation store, can you legally own two PS3s and download the content to both? For example, downloaded (paid for) games and Rock Band DLC content.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this:

http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/ps3/ps3_315_update/index.htm

But again, it talks about de-activating the old system. It also talks about all users of the old system having to create Playstation store accounts. I don't want to do that.

This page doesn't mention if the old PS3 will lose the content, but I've read on other forums that you will lose the content (not something I want).

We have about 5 "users" on the old system but only one has a Playstation store account (mine). I want the same setup on the new machine and want to copy over all saved games for all 5 users as well as all downloadable content without having to go to the "downloads history" in the Playstation store and re-downloading it on the new PS3. I understand that is possible but (a) that's a hell of a lot of downloads! and (b) if I understand correctly you're only allowed to download up to 5 times (or 3 times, or for up to 5 systems - it's very unclear) and then you have to pay again. If I can direct copy I'd rather just do that.

Kal

WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its the premise of One per Household. Sony and Microsoft's Xbox division cannot consider households that may have more than one console. Then again, maybe they presume you need a unique account for each device (like a license).
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
Its the premise of One per Household. Sony and Microsoft's Xbox division cannot consider households that may have more than one console. Then again, maybe they presume you need a unique account for each device (like a license).

I don't follow. I thought that Sony allowed you to have up to 5 Playstation devices 'registered' under one PlayStation account so that you can download and install things on multiple PS3s. I've done this now. I have a few games and downloadable content that I've paid for running on two PS3s.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: