Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

All about lenses (specs/datasheets/pictures/etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wallace123456

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Nashou66 wrote:
I need to know if there is a throw distance difference from the HD145 to the HD145N's. I know the N's were the designation for the NEC's and have the white ring on the tip of the outer lens. any other differences?

Athanasios

Nashou,
I have 3 6pg xtras and all came with 145N and none of them have the white ring on the outer lens. I have a runco 933 that came with 145N, but again, no white ring. I also have a runco 930 that came with 144 and no white ring. (BTW, all are colored.)

Maybe the 145 is not colored and the 145N is? Question Just a thought.

wallace

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they went with the whit ring on the newest NEC series, the XG series. I just want to make sure the ones with the N have the same throw distance as the ones with out.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
bbfarmht

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Runco 933 has the white rings around the 145 lenses. Must be an anomaly! Twisted Evil

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both"

Benjamin Franklin
kschmit2

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wallace123456 wrote:

Maybe the 145 is not colored and the 145N is? Question Just a thought.

wallace

nah, my NEC PG Plus came with stock color-filtered HD-145 lenses (not HD-145N) Smile
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems like a good place to ask this.

I heard that 3M discontinued the colored C elements. Is this true? Has anyone (as far as anyone knows) laid in a stash of them to continue to support the CRT enthusiast's market, or bought the production line and is now producing them?

To add to the lens collection, VDC uses a lens called the "SURFBIRD" on their one-eyed target projector. Tse's shown me that
projector, which is essentially a stripped-down two chassis Marquee with the optical head containing only one CRT and one lens,
which is a Surfbird lens. The CRT has an extra long neck and uses special magnetics, has a very fine electron beam aperture,
and the system resolution reportedly very high indeed, as the requirement is for the projected target to be very detailed but it
occupies a small visual space in the simulation.

It's available with a red or green CRT, but not a blue as far as I know. However, the magnification on this lens is low, only about 3x,
so it doesn't lend itself well to home theater usage even if you could swing the estimated 10,000 dollar cost per lens, not even
counting the projector.

CJ
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
This seems like a good place to ask this.

I heard that 3M discontinued the colored C elements. Is this true? Has anyone (as far as anyone knows) laid in a stash of them to continue to support the CRT enthusiast's market, or bought the production line and is now producing them?

To add to the lens collection, VDC uses a lens called the "SURFBIRD" on their one-eyed target projector. Tse's shown me that
projector, which is essentially a stripped-down two chassis Marquee with the optical head containing only one CRT and one lens,
which is a Surfbird lens. The CRT has an extra long neck and uses special magnetics, has a very fine electron beam aperture,
and the system resolution reportedly very high indeed, as the requirement is for the projected target to be very detailed but it
occupies a small visual space in the simulation.

It's available with a red or green CRT, but not a blue as far as I know. However, the magnification on this lens is low, only about 3x,
so it doesn't lend itself well to home theater usage even if you could swing the estimated 10,000 dollar cost per lens, not even
counting the projector.

CJ

Nashou bought the remaining colored C-elements and sold them off already. No one is producing them now.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The surfbird Wink

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Sparky015

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read a ton on lenses here, trying to understand the best lens for my application and I'm still royally confused!

How does the HD-10GT17 compare to the HD-10F, 10E? I'm not running anything special. Flat 96" 16:9 screen, and soon a Marquee 9500LC. Just trying to understand the best set of lenses that will mazimize the resolution of LUG tubes with good focus across the screen. Anyone have any opinions?

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

96" diagonal or horizontal? You probably want the HD-10E.
Sparky015

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkruger wrote:
96" diagonal or horizontal? You probably want the HD-10E.

96 inches horizontal. It is a 96" X 54" screen. 110" diagonal. I read all 9 pages at once, so forgive me if my regurgitation is off, but the 10E is basically the HFQ900, right? I imagine these are really hard to come by?

Paul
jkruger

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about the 10E being the same as the HFQ900 but I do know that my HD-10GT17's are at the low end of the adjustment on my 110" diagonal.
Sparky015

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, ok thanks. That helps. Even though your near end of adjustment, do you have nice focus to the edges of the screen with your GT17s?

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's okay, I would like to have them at the center of their range though.
dturco

TV/Projector: Runco DLP VX-3000i Marquee 9500 parts doner

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Gt-17's and had set the lenses to center and then built the screen to that size, which in my case turned out to be a 58x104 in 16x9 1.85 to 1. Wilsonart material. That's 119" diagonal by the way. Not a 120". I used Dalites HDTV screen sizes to determine that 119".

I have also given up on what brightness and contrast "numbers" are, I just set them until it looks good, screw the tube life. Contrast is 80, brite is 28, on My 9500L/C. My green tube has over 6500 hours on it, the red and blue over 11,000 so I think these settings reflect that.

It looks damned good and that is all that matters.

So for the center of adjustment{really close} 119">123" will put the GT-17's in center of their range.

Th edge focus isn't bad at all but it's not perfect. It is better than when i was using the 100" diagonl screen, so the center is better,IMO.

http://www.hulu.com/firefly
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I would add a link to this current thread on age and lens design....

The topic:

Do lenses get better the newer they are?

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=247637&sid=576f036871b2c66782d12e9d91f80604#247637
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting some conflicting information.

In the thread linked above, someone says that HD10Es came on G90s. In other places, I've read that HD10Fs came on G90s.

So, whichever is correct, it needs to be noted, and the incorrect information edited or deleted.

I've acquired a set of HD10Fs and intend to replace my GT17s with them as part of my 9500's rebuild/upgrade project.

CJ
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I remember the G90 came from the factory with HD10F lenses as standard equipment.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've received information that indicates that some time in the fairly recent past, 3M (Or whatever the name is of their subsidiary that was actually making the lenses) has actually discontinued the making of new CRT front projection lenses. No more HD10s.

I'm guessing VDC has adequate stock to see the Marquees through to the end of their run, or a second source manufacturer. (I'd bet
that would cost, though!)

Save those lenses, guys. It looks like the days of continued availability of lenses are limited. They will last forever if they're not abused,
but I've seen too many that DO get abused. So be careful with those soon-to-be irreplaceable lenses, no matter what they are.

CJ
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not very surprising but heck who would pay the asking price for a new set of lenses from 3m or Delta.
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just added a link to this thread on HD-10E lenses

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=256992#256992
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 9 of 12
Jump to: