Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

What happened to the rest of my inbox messages?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Forum Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: What happened to the rest of my inbox messages? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Last time I checked, I had 2-3 pages in my inbox. Today there's only 1, and there were a couple of important messages on page 2 that I need. Any way to get those back?

Thanks!
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange. Can you try it now?
What does it say on the top right where it says "Your Inbox is 100% full" ?
Is it at 100%?

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's still at 1 page, 62% full. THe panic is over, by deduction I figured out who the person was here that I needed to contact, but it is weird, for the longest time the inbox was 2-3 pages large, always reading 100% full. I'd delete as much as I could to keep it under 100%, but it usually never happened. Smile
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal mine is only 1 page long and say's its 100% full, is that normal? I used to have 4 or 5 pages.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
Kal mine is only 1 page long and say's its 100% full, is that normal? I used to have 4 or 5 pages.

Athanasios

Same here... Shocked
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is strange guys!

The way the forum software we use here (PHPBB version 2) works for the inbox is that you set a max # of messages in the admin settings. Right now it's set to 50 messages. As soon as a 51st message arrives, the oldest message is automatically erased. Some other forum software just gives you "X" messages and when someone sends X+1 they can't. There are pros and cons to both methods of course. The way it works here is just because that's how the forum software works here.

So you should only ever see max 50 messages in the PM inbox.

What's confusing is that I also have the number of messages shown set to 54 messages per page. This means that you should never see more than one page of messages. I don't understand how anyone could have ever seen more than one page of messages in their PM inbox! I have a test forum too that I use and I confirmed that the inbox size there is also set to 50. Same with my TheElectricBrewery.com forum... strange. So how are some of you in the past seeing 4-5 pages of messages? I don't get it.

I can increase the inbox size to (say) 200 but two things:

(1) I want to first understand how some people were seeing 4-5 pages of messages as I don't see how that was ever possible (not that I don't believe you guys, I just need to understand it first).
(2) Changing the size won't bring old erased messages back.

Kal

P.S. Note that there are actually 3 settings:

Max posts in Inbox : 50
Max posts in Sentbox : 50
Max posts in Savebox : 200

The "Savebox" is a larger spot you can use tomove important messages over that you want to keep. I doubt anyone does that given that it's extra work.

P.P.S The inbox size doesn't change for Club Members or Lifetime Club Members (there was no easy way to do that). Everyone is currently set to a limit of 50 messages.

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I blame President Kal and his damn budget cutbacks! Smile

It's not the end of the world, I just need to be more dilligent on cleaning out my inbox. Was just strange to have the other pages go away after them being there for years.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Was just strange to have the other pages go away after them being there for years.

That's the part I want to explain/understand. Right now I don't get how there could ever have been more than one page.

It's like the inbox size was set to 200-300 messages and somehow it got reset to 50? That's the only explaination I see but I don't see how that could have possibly happened. I certainly didn't change it.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I found this post by me from 2006: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=25705#25705

I said I increased the inbox size from 50 to 100. Not sure why it's back down to 50 now. I must have changed it when we had database size problems a year or so ago?

EDIT: Aha. Here it is from 2009: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=214973#214973

I wrote:

Quote:
I've reduced the Inbox and Sent box from 200 to 50. The Savebox was reduced from 400 to 200.
This is why you all of a sudden have more than 100% in your Inbox.

We have an enormous amount of PMs: Almost 100mb worth or 1/5 of our database is PMs. Most of which are old messages that people don't care about. This is normal of course (I'm not pointing fingers ) - People don't clean up until they're forced to clean up or the system does it automatically.

Note that messages have not been deleted. If you had more than 50 the messages are all still there. The only difference is that if you have more than 50 you can't go bigger, and new users will never be able go higher than 50.

Just like before, when you receive a new PM and have more than the max already, the oldest drops off the list. If you're above the max your inbox isn't truncated to 50 (I tested this). If you don't want the oldest message to drop off,move important messages to your Savebox.

We don't want to use the forum as an emailing service - if someone needs to talk to someone every day and go back and forth multiple times, use email.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Forum Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: