Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Older tvs from 50's-60's with tubes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
romero.video wrote:
Will do. The blemishes are behind the glass. Curt, i'll get you the part number tomorrow. You need the crt number right?

It's a 21FJP22...The number is on the image of the HV Cage tube layout. It is as Curt said...The glue that bonds the safety glass to the tube is failing causing the discoloration. I too have seen it happen, even 30 years ago..perhaps not to this extreme. The power supply diodes look like they have been changed and might be incorrectly installed that could be the cause of your hum. It also looks like the 110 volt interlock has been changed...The pins should go horizontally and be riveted to the chassis not attached by screws.

Here is a good video showing the same model chassis with a slightly different tuner layout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2uHthZPsVU

It would be really fun seeing one of those old sets work with a clean digital signal. When I was young I could change the CRT and to a full setup on one of those in about 20 minutes. I had a tube implode on me ones...That was really cool. Shocked

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

21FJP22A For crt.
romero.video

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEby, What caused the tube to implode like that??
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once decided it was a good idea to take a metal band off that was around a 25" tube. It was glued to the tube, and I wanted to take it off, as I figured the tube would then fit in another set. I got 3/4 of the way around the tube, then my ears went numb. I heard nothing as the tube imploded, but my hearing was damaged for a couple of hours. There was little left of the tube, and glass sized chunks all over my parents rec room, a couple of fist sized chunks about 10' away.

Why no glass hit my body I'll never know, I was bending over the tube, and probably should have been dead, if not lacerated badly.

That was the last time I tried that, and it took 2 hours to clean up the glass mess.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you looking to do with these sets? Are you able to do testing and component parts replacement?
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
I once decided it was a good idea to take a metal band off that was around a 25" tube. It was glued to the tube, and I wanted to take it off, as I figured the tube would then fit in another set. I got 3/4 of the way around the tube, then my ears went numb. I heard nothing as the tube imploded, but my hearing was damaged for a couple of hours. There was little left of the tube, and glass sized chunks all over my parents rec room, a couple of fist sized chunks about 10' away.

Why no glass hit my body I'll never know, I was bending over the tube, and probably should have been dead, if not lacerated badly.

That was the last time I tried that, and it took 2 hours to clean up the glass mess.

In my case I brought the replacement tube in from cold storage without letting it stabilize...Tightened the mounting band turned around with my back to the tube when it imploded. Other then a really bad mess...no damage....I was lucky my back was facing it at the time....I had a lot more respect for them afterward.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

romero.video wrote:
21FJP22A For crt.

http://vdc.mybisi.com/product/21fjp22a

But they are out of stock Sad

I still think its just cataracts and just needs to be fixed like in the 7 part video on youtube I linked.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
romero.video

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i just finished watching his 7 part video. Impressive but I'm not sure if it's something i can do without risk. I will need to get a tube tester but other than that, i can do the cap replacements and tube replacements myself.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it be neat to try that trick, if you lived close by Id give it a shot for you.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy.... Very Happy Just right click on image and save as to your PC. It's easier to work with then.

Removed the print. If anyone needs it just let me know.

Last edited by macgyver655 on Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have 420v coming off those rectifier diodes in your 1 image. Test them for short first before you test them hot.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, one more thing. If your not using an isolation transformer when doing power on testing, be very careful as gnd is not isolated and can give possible lethal shock.
Your better off connecting your volt meter with the tv unplugged and after connected then plug in and turn on.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been years since I've looked at a tube TV schematic, and seeing it now.. man, gotta love the simplicity. Really makes me want to dig out that 1947 RCA I've done nothing with since I picked it up in San Diego last summer...
romero.video

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66, maybe if i'm ever in the area, i could bring it by and let you work on it. I used to live in Jersey and PA. macgyver655, Thanks for the schematic. I have it saved. I guess the big question is what is the first thing i should check or look for? Curt, 1947 RCA, man i'd get that out and get started on that. Very Happy
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:
You should have 420v coming off those rectifier diodes in your 1 image. Test them for short first before you test them hot.

Start here.

I removed the print. It was messing up the thread size to much.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

romero.video wrote:
Curt, 1947 RCA, man i'd get that out and get started on that. Very Happy

That's the problem. It is out. In my damn foyer, blocking everything. What I need is time to work on it. Mr. Green
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
romero.video wrote:
Curt, 1947 RCA, man i'd get that out and get started on that. Very Happy

That's the problem. It is out. In my damn foyer, blocking everything. What I need is time to work on it. Mr. Green

You don't really need to sleep, do you???? Laughing
romero.video

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll get started on those diodes. One question i have is if this meter will help me at all?
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, nothing wrong with an analog meter. Almost appropriate, fixing an analog set with an analog meter. Try and find a tech under 25 years of age that can read it though. Razz
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Sure, nothing wrong with an analog meter. Almost appropriate, fixing an analog set with an analog meter. Try and find a tech under 25 years of age that can read it though. Razz

Back in the day you couldn't beat the classic Simpson 260.

Mike

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: