Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

vip theatre support 100 hz via firmware update?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> 3D Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lillbubs

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: vip theatre support 100 hz via firmware update? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
hi there I am about to pull the trigger on the theatre, but have some questions first.
would it be possible for the theatre device to support lets say 100 hz instead of 120 via a firmware update.
or is there any plans on releasing a similar device in the near future that will. as allot of projectors accepts a lot higher scan rate than 60 just not 120, my infocus 8602 1080 pj for example supports up to a 100 hz and my in76 supports 85 hz.
I have no idea what I am talking about Smile but wouldn't this decrease flickering significantly for a lot of people?
please excuse my bad english.
best regards
/joakim
SgtVideo

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: vip theatre support 100 hz via firmware update? Reply with quote

lillbubs wrote:
hi there I am about to pull the trigger on the theatre, but have some questions first.
would it be possible for the theatre device to support lets say 100 hz instead of 120 via a firmware update.
or is there any plans on releasing a similar device in the near future that will. as allot of projectors accepts a lot higher scan rate than 60 just not 120, my infocus 8602 1080 pj for example supports up to a 100 hz and my in76 supports 85 hz.
I have no idea what I am talking about Smile but wouldn't this decrease flickering significantly for a lot of people?
best regards
/joakim

I responded to your question earlier but deleted that post because the new VIP site no longer mentioned
the 3D Discover which sounded like a muti-sync device you are asking about. Until I can find more about
the status and why it isn't mentioned on their new web site I'm leaving it alone for now.

Back to your Theater question, I believe their current hardware has pretty much locked down those frequencies
changes in the #1 dipswitch. So currently we are pretty much only have the 60/120hz. selection.

In your case since you mentioned your Infocus can support up to 86hz. then you will be operating it at 60Hz. so dipswitch
#1 will be set down.

You are correct in your comment that the higher rates improve viewability and less flicker perception.

I am presently running mine at 60hz on a Panasonic AE4000 but the flicker only seemed to stand out on bright high contrast scenes and even then it is not a deal breaker for me and the wife.

G'day
afyuen

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: vip theatre support 100 hz via firmware update? Reply with quote

SgtVideo wrote:
lillbubs wrote:
best regards
/joakim

I responded to your question earlier but deleted that post because the new VIP site no longer mentioned
the 3D Discover which sounded like a muti-sync device you are asking about. Until I can find more about
the status and why it isn't mentioned on their new web site I'm leaving it alone for now.

Back to your Theater question, I believe their current hardware has pretty much locked down those frequencies
changes in the #1 dipswitch. So currently we are pretty much only have the 60/120hz. selection.

In your case since you mentioned your Infocus can support up to 86hz. then you will be operating it at 60Hz. so dipswitch
#1 will be set down.

You are correct in your comment that the higher rates improve viewability and less flicker perception.

I am presently running mine at 60hz on a Panasonic AE4000 but the flicker only seemed to stand out on bright high contrast scenes and even then it is not a deal breaker for me and the wife.

G'day

SgtVideo, may I ask what settings you are using for your AE4000 projector? I have the AE1000U projector which has similar specs (up to 87Hz vertical refresh). I just received the 3D dongle yesterday and was quite disappointed that I can't get a good 3D image - either too dark on some settings, or not quite in focus on other brighter settings (ie. subtitles for Avatar speak don't always merge). I have not tried setting it to the 120Hz mode and not sure if the projector will just reject that signal. Will try that tonight. I found that the 3D image is "reasonable" at the 1 red LED and 3 blue LED setting but there is a noticeable flicker on bright scenes, but again, the subtitle letters don't always merge. Thanks for any help! Wonder if there is a return policy on the dongle if I can't get it to work reasonably on my projector...
SgtVideo

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: vip theatre support 100 hz via firmware update? Reply with quote

Quote:
SgtVideo, may I ask what settings you are using for your AE4000 projector? I have the AE1000U projector which has similar specs (up to 87Hz vertical refresh). I just received the 3D dongle yesterday and was quite disappointed that I can't get a good 3D image - either too dark on some settings, or not quite in focus on other brighter settings (ie. subtitles for Avatar speak don't always merge). I have not tried setting it to the 120Hz mode and not sure if the projector will just reject that signal. Will try that tonight. I found that the 3D image is "reasonable" at the 1 red LED and 3 blue LED setting but there is a noticeable flicker on bright scenes, but again, the subtitle letters don't always merge. Thanks for any help! Wonder if there is a return policy on the dongle if I can't get it to work reasonably on my projector...

Sorry for such a late reponse but I have been absent from this forum as of late.

As you have probably already determined the 120hz setting does not work for the AE1000. I cannot remember
my tuning settings as I also switch to a 120hz projector at times and retune. It was does take some tweaking to find the best compromise for using at the 60hz setting to minimize flicker. You will not eliminate it totally in the brighter scenes, plus if you have any other extraneous lighting entering your viewing area then that can also make it more noticeable.

Also when tuning try some other 3D content as there may be some variance in quality from different sources. You indicate that some of the letters do not always merge but if they do merge on a different title then it is just content related and not an error on your part.

Each vendor have their own return policy so I cannot answer that directly. Also if your are still encountering difficulty then try customer support at VIP3D for assistance.

support@3D-VIP.com
afyuen

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: vip theatre support 100 hz via firmware update? Reply with quote

SgtVideo wrote:
Sorry for such a late reponse but I have been absent from this forum as of late.

As you have probably already determined the 120hz setting does not work for the AE1000. I cannot remember
my tuning settings as I also switch to a 120hz projector at times and retune. It was does take some tweaking to find the best compromise for using at the 60hz setting to minimize flicker. You will not eliminate it totally in the brighter scenes, plus if you have any other extraneous lighting entering your viewing area then that can also make it more noticeable.

Also when tuning try some other 3D content as there may be some variance in quality from different sources. You indicate that some of the letters do not always merge but if they do merge on a different title then it is just content related and not an error on your part.

Each vendor have their own return policy so I cannot answer that directly. Also if your are still encountering difficulty then try customer support at VIP3D for assistance.

support@3D-VIP.com

Thanks for the belated response. I have since figured out that I needed to use the manual fine tuning to get a reasonable 3D effect. There is still some crosstalk, but watchable. Also, the flicker is obvious on bright scenes, but that's understandable considering it is alternating 30Hz on each stereo image. It is acceptable overall, and will be good enough for me in delaying getting a proper 3d projector.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> 3D Products All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: