Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

free calibration disc to correct Gamma VPL-VW50 needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: free calibration disc to correct Gamma VPL-VW50 needed Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
As the title says I need either free software or a disc to correct the gamma on my VPL-VW50, the image is bright, but gamma is off for sure, faces are dark, and honestly if this is the way the projector was made, some would think Sony is racist against black people...

I would like my projector to become un-racist and easily viewable for the darker scenes of movies, if anyone knows of some good calibration stuff for free would really help me!

The bulb on the thing is fine, only a couple hundred hours on it, so that most likely isn't the issue. I probably wouldn't even be messing with this if my XG1100 was in place of this digital beast, but I must make do with the space requirements I have for the time being!

Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See my free greyscale guide:

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457

There's a link to a free disc towards the end.

There's only so much you can do without a meter however. I highly suggest a meter even if it's a simple $99 Display LT.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Kal,

I'll probably go ahead and buy the new eyeOne that I have seen advertised here, after I get my new tubes for my XG. This way I have something to calibrate both projectors because both will need it.

For now I can put up with the color of the Sony seeing as I use it mainly for games, and oddly enough those appear to have correct gamma (though I do remember one of the games I play has the setting for adjusting gamma so that may be why I don't notice it)

Either way, if a calibration meter is the way to go, then I will go that way!

Thanks again Mr. Green

Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
Either way, if a calibration meter is the way to go, then I will go that way!

You can set brightness and contrast without a meter but forget about trying to do colour or greyscale... our eyes just aren't good tools for measuring the subtle differences required.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: