Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Does anyone make a super high gain screen any more?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:29 am    Post subject: Does anyone make a super high gain screen any more? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Does anyone know if there's a company still making a super high gain screen? Maybe in the 12-15 range?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
zaphod

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude, when are you going to break down and finally buy some newer tubes...

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a 6.0 gain vutec silverstar and its amazing. awesome shadow detail, waaay punchy, no color shift or hot spotting - don't know how they do it, but it works...
View user's photo album (1 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaphod wrote:
dude, when are you going to break down and finally buy some newer tubes...

I have a bunch of newer tubes. I just like to play....

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nettwerkjohn wrote:
i have a 6.0 gain vutec silverstar and its amazing. awesome shadow detail, waaay punchy, no color shift or hot spotting - don't know how they do it, but it works...

Say would you be willing to take a screen shot with a plain piece of paper up there for comparison?

CRT.

HD done right!
Cube

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nettwerkjohn wrote:

How much did that cost? My crumby old screen is translucent... tons of light goes right through it and bounces back off the white wall, so bright scenes always look blown out.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Silverstar does hotspot. It may not be that bad, but uniformity is definitely not like a unity gain screen.

The only good high gain screen that I have known of is the Vutec UHG torus screen. An offshoot is the old screens from Sony and Advent from the early 80s.
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cube wrote:
My crumby old screen is translucent... tons of light goes right through it and bounces back off the white wall, so bright scenes always look blown out.

Why not hang some cheap black cloth behind it? It won't help your gain any but it should help the blowout.
Cube

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been meaning to try that but haven't had the time. I did try sticking some black posterboard behind the screen and it only helped a little bit. It seems to be a characteristic of my 1272 that when there is very bright content anywhere on the tube face, the whole tube face gets a brighter gain.
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck finding this...

http://www.socalelectronics.com/prodView.asp?idproduct=2678
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom.W wrote:

13.2 gain! Now that's more like it!

CRT.

HD done right!
jcwhite57

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom.W wrote:

Tom, sounds like you looked but couldn't find this screen. Does SOCAL no longer sell these? If they do, any idea of the price range.
betel

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found several websites that sold these at one time. The sites are still there but nobodys home.

I did find one site for a company called Mocom located in Seoul S. Korea but apparently doesn't have a US distributer: http://mocomscreens.com/product/front-screen/concaved-screen/

Maybe ultra-high gain screens will be re-introduced for front projection 3D due to decreased light output of 3D projectors.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

betel wrote:
I found several websites that sold these at one time. The sites are still there but nobodys home.

I did find one site for a company called Mocom located in Seoul S. Korea but apparently doesn't have a US distributer: http://mocomscreens.com/product/front-screen/concaved-screen/

Maybe ultra-high gain screens will be re-introduced for front projection 3D due to decreased light output of 3D projectors.

Wish I could get a 8x10 foot 4:3 curved high gain that comes apart in two pieces. That would be perfect.

Quake III Excessive at 1280x1024 from 6 feet away Mr. Green

CRT.

HD done right!
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know it is interesting that Art just visited Alan Gouger. Alan has a cinema Barco pj. They measured extremely high ft/lmbs over 50. A lot of CRT owners put up with low ft/lmbs, but I think if a lot CRTers had 30 ft/lmbs then they would be ecstatic.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
You know it is interesting that Art just visited Alan Gouger. Alan has a cinema Barco pj. They measured extremely high ft/lmbs over 50. A lot of CRT owners put up with low ft/lmbs, but I think if a lot CRTers had 30 ft/lmbs then they would be ecstatic.

What screen is he running?

CRT.

HD done right!
betel

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:

Sounds like a little embellishment to me. I know the Vutec torus was about 35ft/lmbs from a 9500 Ultra. Of course that was calibrated. If image quality is of no concern, maybe you could get it that bright but I doupt that is something Alan would do except maybe as an experiment.

BTW: I'm still attempting to get a usefull image out of my damaged Vutec torus. For one reason or another everything I've tried has issues. My latest attempt is to use water based silver paint. It is very promising but I can't get the screen to disappear into the image because of surface imperfections. I may try one more attempt by thinning the paint as much as possible and adding drying extender. The best surface so far was using oil based aluminum paint but the surface is very sensitive if touched. If cleaning is attempted, it only gets worse. Anyone have ideas let me know.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cinema Barco is a 3 chip dlp not a CRT.
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Betel, anything as reflective as silver paint is going to show up imperfections like crazy. It's basically a mirror, so any tiny bump or crack reflects light in different directions and makes it stick out like a sore thumb.

I'd think you would have better luck with a mixture of silver and some type of white. The "Mississippi Mud" and similar mixes that were promoted in the AVS DIY screen forum might work better. I think he was targeting flat screens with that mix, and you'd want more gain than that. But something between MMud and straight silver paint might work better. MississippiMan at AVS was the paint-blend wizard there -- maybe he could suggest a good high-gain surface.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
MississippiMan at AVS was the paint-blend wizard there -- maybe he could suggest a good high-gain surface.

Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: