Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Panny Plasma & D* DVR interoperability issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 1:24 am    Post subject: Panny Plasma & D* DVR interoperability issue Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I bought a Panasonic TC-50PS14 just a couple of days before Xmas 2009. About six months into ownership, a problem developed. While watching either live satellite TV or from a recording (both from a D* HR21-200), I green stripe would trace left-to-right on the top of the screen and then all video and audio would cease. This happened in a fraction of a second, and the black video/audio would last from a few seconds to a minute or more.

The frequency of the problem was roughly once per week to once every couple of days. As Winter approach the problem seemed to go away. This past February, the D* HR-21 died and was replaced with a new D* DVR. I took the liberty to change out the HDMI cable as well. The problem started showing up again in late April. Apparently it wasn't the DVR.

Now the problem happens multiple times per day, lasting from a few seconds to a time we just give up and go watch the +2 year old Vizio plasma in the basement. I have swapped the D* DVR again, but the problem today is back. Mind you during this past year I have also played musical HDMI inputs. Problem 'seems' to follow the DVR.

In addition to the D* DVR, I have an Xbox and a Panasonic Blu-ray player connected. The Xbox is connected via Component, and the Blu-ray player via HDMI. Neither of these sources produce the problem. And yet I can take the suspect D* DVR and connect it to the Vizio plasma, and two different LCD flat panels (Samsung), and the problem never arises.

At this point I am suspicious the D* HR21 and Panasonic TC-50PS14 have a basic interoperability condition that cannot be resolved. Silly, I know. I have even tried running the DVR in 480P/720P and even 1080P (instead of the 1080i) to skirt any deinterlacing function within the plasma.

Anyone got any idea? I may replace this unit with an LG as I cannot justify another Panasonic in my household.

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad

48 folks read this post on AVS and not one reply.

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 15, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After researching on DBStalk, AVS, and general Google-ing, I've concluded this is a unique problem and cannot confidently say if the problem 'child' is the Panasonic or the DirecTV HR21 generation of equipment. Since the two will not work as a combined force than neither is working for me at all.

So, should I keep the Panasonic or the DirecTV? One will be ejected from my home.

CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 15, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I just have to ask... assuming that when you first noticed the problem, why didn't you take it in for warranty service?

I just sold a Panasonic 1080p plasma on the weekend, and I have to say, it was the nicest plasma image I'd seen. From a construction point of view, the Panasonics use discrete components instead of chips that fail all the time, and the heatsinks are bigger so I'll bet they run cooler than cheaper sets. Also, the two Pannys I've had in had fans across the top back of the set, again allowing the set to run cooler.

Mind you, the Panny I had before this one had a bad plasma panel, one dead line of pixels across the middle of the screen (and no Mac, it wasn't the driver panel!).

Despite the one bad unit, I'm a fan of the Panasonic plasmas, and if I get a chance to repair another one, I'll probably keep it. The 1080p one was one set I almost didn't want to sell.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, when the problem began it seemed like a one off quirk. when it happened a second time a month had passed. We were watching much more tv on it than BDs, and were not sure if the problem was the plasma and none of the sources, one of the sources, or all of them. As the year drew to final month or two, the problem seemed to go away.

Then before the problem came back, the DVR hard drive died and DirecTV replaced the DVR. The problem didn'T immediately come back for a couple more month, but then it did so with a vengence. Up until the point, we still were not sure where the problem laid. Why? Because the frequency and spontaneous nature made it impossible to troubleshoot, and could not be reproduced at will.

only recently was the problem being consistent that it allowed us to troubleshoot, but now it is out of warranty. It was purchased from Costco and I plan on calling them on Monday. But trying to prove it is the plasma and not the DirecTV equipment is a concern. The plasma works with all other sources, and the DirecTV equipment works with all other displays. I'll ask Costco what my options are, but ...

As far as the image goes, I like it just fine.

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you thought of this but did you try another HDMI cable?
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, several times and including cables from at least two sources. Also, any cable in use when the problem arises has been tested without a problem with other sources on the same display.

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm beginning to think this problem is temperature related. We've have some surprising low temps the past three days (20 degrees lower than the past three weeks) and during this time we've been hawking the Panasonic--no observed problems.

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has to be a temperature-related condition. In warm weather the problem arises, when it is cool the problem isn't observed. Warm weather returned, and so hasn't the problem. I am wondering if this is an internal connector that just isn't soldered well, or seated firmly.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I learn a friend of mine also has a two year old Panasonic plasma and on Memorial Day weekend it went out. He had the indoor temp at 85ºF and he said that it just shutoff and wouldn't come back on. He turned the AC on, got the temp down to 80ºF and it came back on, but now he is saying that since then whenever the temp reaches 74-75ºF it shuts off again and will not back on.

Hmm, my problem does a similar thing when above 73-74ºF, and I'm going to test this today by deliberately letting the 1st floor temp go up to 76-77ºF and see what happens. AFAIK, Panasonic sucks donkey.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: