Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Suggestions for youth center - dlp projector
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zogomusic

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I was not aware of the 4:3 ratio on the canons. I think it matters - we show a lot of letterbox stuff on the 120" so I want the best for that. The lumens bit is obviously a concern. It's always intriguing to me that they don't push the lumens more so on newer machines. Our 6 year old one has 3000, newer ones are 1000? It's confusing to me.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They push them just fine for their intended application. Want a commercial environment, buy a commercial projector. Otherwise the consumer market assumes light controlled environment for the most part. BTW, Canon makes commercial projectors and has never really competed in the home theater projector market.
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I haven't fired the NEC up yet, but the screens just came in, so I will be installing them and the projector this weekend and will post.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, if it's not too late, here's my quickie review of the NEC 3000 lumen projector I bought from projectorpeople.com.

Price- $750 incl shipping and including a spare bulb.

-3000 lumens, but a 500:1 contrast ratio if I read the spec. No matter in my case, it was being used as a presentation projector in a medium ambient light boardroom.

It does not have a component connector in it, but has DVI, video and VGA. I connected it to my laptop only at 1024 X 768, and the auto sensing input worked fine. The thing is dead quiet, and yes, 3000 lumens is pretty damn bright. A cool feature is the 'auto keystone' correction. Sure enough, I had the projector at max tilt via it's adjustable foot, and it kicked right in to a very close to perfect vertical keystone correction.

Pix- well, I only looked at pictures from my laptop, but yep, it was pretty decent, and no question I'd prefer the image to a single chip DLP. I did watch the motion onscreen of the audio player splash screen, and it worked. Minimal convergence error.

All in all a decent little digital. Not ready for prime time HT, but for a cheapie presentation/movie night at the boy's club projector, sure, it was fine, esp. considering the price.

One note of interest: I had it on for 20 minutes, and the fan turned off as soon as I powered down. Not quite sure what to make of that, I told the customer not to move the projector for 10 minutes after powerdown regardless.

Oh, and in 'eco' mode, it's got some menu that tells you how much carbon footprint you've saved? Gimme a break! Greenpeace has gone too far! Razz
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:

Oh, and in 'eco' mode, it's got some menu that tells you how much carbon footprint you've saved? Gimme a break! Greenpeace has gone too far! Razz

Oh FFS! Rolling Eyes

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nuttall_chris wrote:
The vpl-vw50 with only 1000 lumens will look dim compared to the 3000 lumens your current projector is able to produce. Also make sure there is enough lens shift and zoom range to work with your application.

Chris.

With the current projector he is using in the center, I am sure it has a much worse overall picture than the VPL-VW50 would, even for brightness.

The VW50 has a much higher CR ratio for better blacks so the image will look a lot less washed out than his current projector. even in a somewhat lit room the VPL-VW50 is easy to see. when my lights in my theater are on I can still easily watch the image the VW50 I have on screen, the only thing is I can see the tinge of the color from the light on the screen.

With light off, you wont have a brightness issue for the screen size you will be using.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: