Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

I repaired my first Qualia 004!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: I repaired my first Qualia 004! Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
A minor breakthrough, I repaired my first dead Qualia today. It took a bit, it turns out the service manual I have here that I ordered for the Qualia is actually for the Ruby, go figure.

So... for 'dead' Qualias only, based on the failures (multiple components) that I've seen on this set, I can repair the power supply module only, no need to send the whole set. I don't have a test chassis here, but will end up changing multiple parts to make sure I nail all the bad ones.

Cost- about $500.

I will have the Qualia s/manual shortly, I pulled some strings at Sony.

BTW, for anyone in Canada having a Qualia, Sony of Canada is completely USELESS, they claim that the part number Q004-R1 is not a valid part number, and I spend the better part of an hour chasing people around on the phone to no avail. Sony USA knew what I was talking about right away.
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to go Curt Smile $500 for a repair... hmm CRT sounds pretty good at that repair cost Razz

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Curt,
Had a question about the Qualia 004. I have one here for repair but the complaint is that it will be in standby for any length of time, a weekend to a week, and it will drop out of standby and you have to unplug it for a while to get it to work. Does this sound like a PSU failure to you? The only thing I have noticed is that if while in standby you unplug it, you must wait a while before plugging it back in. I figure this much be a feature of the PSU as a consequence of being able to run the fans for 30+ sec after unplugging. Now I haven't seen the failure I am looking for (intermittent is such a nightmare) but I am about to go with the PSU. What think you?
Also would you like to trade a manual for a manual? Wink
Don't worry, my company is at the bottom of the USA...no threat to you! lol
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

projtech wrote:
Hey Curt,
Had a question about the Qualia 004. I have one here for repair but the complaint is that it will be in standby for any length of time, a weekend to a week, and it will drop out of standby and you have to unplug it for a while to get it to work. Does this sound like a PSU failure to you? The only thing I have noticed is that if while in standby you unplug it, you must wait a while before plugging it back in. I figure this much be a feature of the PSU as a consequence of being able to run the fans for 30+ sec after unplugging. Now I haven't seen the failure I am looking for (intermittent is such a nightmare) but I am about to go with the PSU. What think you?
Also would you like to trade a manual for a manual? Wink
Don't worry, my company is at the bottom of the USA...no threat to you! lol

Get out your ESR meter. Smile
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 27, 2011 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I'm not giving out any info on the QUalia, they are a bitch to learn. I do have a copy of the service manual that I'll sell for $250 if you want.

Cheers!
Curt
projtech

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dang. I don't think my company would go for that. I'll let them know though. Thanks. I'll do a PSU on this thing and make sure it doesn't show the symptom afterward...even though it hasn't appeared yet. I hate intermittent problems.
Brian Hampton

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on that repair.

Must be an amazing machine.

-Brian
thowle

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Can you still repair Qualia 004 Power supplies Reply with quote

Mine just died after months of intermittent failures.

CT Howle
404-252-6312
Atlanta, Ga
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoot me an email to curtpalme at shaw.ca and I'l give you instructions on how to send the power supply in. I've repaired about a dozen so far, with no issues with any of them.

Cheers!
Tinman

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my god!! Curt's going DIGITAL!!!!

If the Qualia has a power supply like some others from Sony, I have a good idea of what it's all about.

But sorry.... I'm not telling. This one's all Curt's.

Marc

CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been repairing them for about 2 years now. The best one is the one that came from Sony USA. Smile
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
I've been repairing them for about 2 years now. The best one is the one that came from Sony USA. Smile

Sony actually sent you the projector because they couldn't repair it?? Nice Very Happy

Also curt, how serious of an issue on a Qualia 004 is it when the built in LCD panel gives you an "ERROR Internal temperature is unusually high, please contact dealer for details" The projector still works, but gets turned off right after the message appears so it doesnt get damaged.

not asking for a fix, just if its a major issue. The fan appears to be working but im not sure if its running to slow or at normal speed.

CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry no idea, I've only ever repaired the power supply issue. Turns out the service manual I have is either for the Ruby or the Pearl, not the 004.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be as simple as a bad lamp. A lamp can run hotter then normal in which the fans would still not cool enough to avoid a hi temp error. Could also be the thermal sensor in which it is not really running hot. Just the sensor is out of calibration.

Any clogged filters?
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:
It could be as simple as a bad lamp. A lamp can run hotter then normal in which the fans would still not cool enough to avoid a hi temp error. Could also be the thermal sensor in which it is not really running hot. Just the sensor is out of calibration.

Any clogged filters?

Thats what is suspected is the clogged filters. The projector isn't mine, but I am asking these questions because I may be buying it and if I do, I don't want to spend more than what im paying for the projector.

Other than the warning it gives, it works perfect. The lamp has 1100 hours on it, I don't know if that is past the life expectancy of the bulb in the qualia though.

Good news is if its a bulb, they are available.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does the Qualia 004 compare to modern digital projectors and is there a workaround to the expensive blubs?
Smile
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad blacks comparatively speaking to what's now available, but I quite like the image. Bulbs- no idea.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayAllan wrote:
How does the Qualia 004 compare to modern digital projectors and is there a workaround to the expensive blubs?
Smile

Unless you need the light output, I wouldn't bother.
JayAllan

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys! I am kind of looking for a digital solution for my bedroom. I would like to find something that is overbuilt and an older model so I can get it cheap but still have some quality. Would be using it with my 100' screen so its not too big. I just don't want something where I can see a screen door type pattern in the pixels.

It seems like if the original bulb is a 700 watt 5600k source, couldn't I put in a 700 watt LED panel the is also 5600k? Just playing around with ideas Smile
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides the horribly expensive lamps, the Qualia is a tank. Not CRT tank, but way bigger than you're typical digital. Unless you're a serious hardware hacker, there's no way in hell you're going to bypass all the monitoring and protection circuits to retrofit an alternate light source. If you could get it for practically free, fine, but otherwise I'd suggest looking elsewhere.

For a bedroom on a 100-inch screen, grab a used JVC RS1 or Sony VW50. Perfect bedroom set for very good, but non-critical viewing. If you're patient, you should be able to find either machine for in the $750 ballpark, possibly even with a spare lamp. Especially true of the Sony. The JVC's hold their value a bit better. If you could stumble onto a cheap RS2, even better.

With digitals, "older model" and "still have some quality" are practically mutually exclusive. The high-end stuff from 8-10 years ago is inferior to the sub-$5000 stuff from 5 years ago (which is now available used for under $1000).

What's your target budget?

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: