Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Building an Electrostatic Speaker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Crescendo-Systems Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beun

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Plitron 1:75

Plitron_413400.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Plitron_413400.pdf
 Filesize:  346.03 KB
 Downloaded:  567 Time(s)

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quality stuff plitron. they made balanced power Xformers for me. good company.

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 21, 2011 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beun have you ever designed standard cone speaker cabinets ?
beun

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 21, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I have, the first one I built from a model and after that I designed a flat top pyramid two way that my mother used for ages until the cone surrounds started to rot away.

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 21, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was the first of many hours of veneering, my first piece of edge band and only about 543 more to go Laughing

The first picture is with the glue just applied

And now with the first strip of veneer

After this has had time to dry a bit I will do the vertical sides.

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did the sides

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have been busy today, I routed the veneer overhang of the base shown above and put a first layer of varnish on it to protect the veneer from glue when I finish the top.

I also cut the 2 degree back rake of the sides and cut them to length as well. One is now being edge banded.

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have made some progress this holiday weekend, the base for the second speaker is glued together and ready for edge banding. I have also finished edge banding the remaining two side panels and I angle cut the support beams. These beams are now ready for edge banding as well.

I do have some comments on the veneering as it seems even to me that progress is just horribly slow. It is not that there is so much work veneering it is the waiting time that takes so long. Take for example the speaker base, three sides have to be veneered and to make it looks good the back edge has to go first and then the two sides so the veneer joint is least visible looking at it from the front. To put veneer on one edge takes about one hour and then the waiting begins. I need to wait a day for the glue to dry before I can remove all the overhang meaning I cannot do the side edges because of the overhang. If there is a problem is adhesion on the edge of the edge (if that still makes any sense) some additional glue has to be applied which takes another day to dry. So after some 4 days or so I have one base done which now needs a few layers of varnish on the veneer to protect it from glue during further veneering.

Again the waiting begins, the varnish is applied in about 30 seconds but again takes a day before I can apply another layer. Full hardening takes even longer, at least a week. I do of cause process in parallel as much as my availability of tools and clamps allows but still this takes loooonnnng.

I will upload some more pictures later on.

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had good luck with this stuff...

http://www.morganwood.com/catalog/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=151
beun

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting stuff, I didn't even know it existed.

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a similar glue sheet when veneering my kitchen cabinets 20 years ago and they still look great Smile

The nice thing though is it's really smooth and uniform Thumbs Up
mightym

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are any number of videos on you tube on veneering with "Tite Bond II" using an iron to activate the glue. I have not used this method yet, however it looks to be pretty foolproof. That being said, I wouldn't practice on something I already had sold......

Glad to visit with you at LSAF again this year. I've been following along since. Keep up the good work, and don't forget to throw up a picture now and again.

John
beun

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

Good to see you here. Yes I researched the Titebond II with an iron stuff but I also read some less than satisfactory stories about it, therefore I opted for the FSV glue. That stuff works really well, it is just time consuming.

I am veneering my a$$ off today and most likely tomorrow, I should have some more pictures later.

Kim

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One picture that shows most the work done in the last week, not shown is the base for the second speaker that is now being varnished.

The 3 support beams on the left are being varnished so they can be veneered on the remaining face just like the one on the right that has been veneered completely. I still have to route away the excess though. You can also see the black painted face which will have the rear stator mounted on.

The side panel on the right is veneered on the inside face, the bare portion of the wood is where the support beam is going to be mounted on.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kim, how many hours of labor do you expect to put into one of these?
beun

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way too many, I try to work on them for at least 8 hours every weekend and then 1 or 2 hours a day a few days during the week, more the simple stuff like varnishing.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW I wasn't counting all the time you've spent posting the details for us. Very Happy
bbfarmht

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beun wrote:
Way too many, I try to work on them for at least 8 hours every weekend and then 1 or 2 hours a day a few days during the week, more the simple stuff like varnishing.

I take it must be a labor of love?

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both"

Benjamin Franklin
beun

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I have another job that pays the bills. I just like doing this.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just removed the veneer overhang from the beam and side panel and varnished them for the first time. Took me over an hour to peel off the excess glue from the edge that I had already veneered before. Luckily I had thought ahead so it was already varnished so that the glue doesn't stick very well but it still takes forever.

I need to figure out a quicker way to do this.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Crescendo-Systems Products All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 5 of 14
Jump to: