Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Building an Electrostatic Speaker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Crescendo-Systems Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Is this the stuff ?

http://www.veneersystems.com/index.php/action/item/id/30/prevaction/pricelist/
beun

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep that's it.

So this morning I wanted to put my new router table together to make edging the veneer a bit easier so I open the box and immediately see that it isn't new because it is full of sawdust. Someone bought it, used it, took it back apart and got himself a refund. So I had to bring it back to the store, find out they didn't have another one on the shelves, drive to another store to get it there.

Arghh

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like Home Depot. You should have asked them for a discount on that one, since it is a open box item.
beun

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was actually Lowes, I almost did but then noticed the wood of the panels was already split and looking at the new one I get the impression that a bunch of small parts were missing as well.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first veneer sample has been glued down, with regular titebondII since the real glue is still on its way. This is the raw unbacked veneer and now I remember why I don't use that stuff. It is difficult to work with and may not look its best even after varnishing.

The second layer is now drying on the backside of the sample. This is the paper backed stuff and is a lot easier to work with.

I also have the first of the support beams cut out, glued together and drying. As you can see on the picture I am using the kitchen counter top. It is the longest absolute flat surface I have and yes I asked permission from 'the boss'.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wuz gonna say, that's a mighty snazzy workshop ya got there!!
beun

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started varnishing the veneer sample, I can do about two layers a day so this will take be about a week. In between every layer I need some very light sanding and then it has to be wiped off with tack cloth before the next layer.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beun wrote:
I started varnishing the veneer sample, I can do about two layers a day so this will take be about a week. In between every layer I need some very light sanding and then it has to be wiped off with tack cloth before the next layer.

I've had really good results with Formby's Tung oil finish. You just wipe it on with a cloth and let it dry between coats. Very easy to clean and re coat when needed. No runs drips or errors Wink

My kitchen cabinets still look like new after 20 years with just a little cleaning with fresh water and a good sponge... Thumbs Up
beun

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

That's exactly the same stuff I use, not that it has anything to do with real Tung oil but I agree that it works very well, gives a very nice glossy finish and dries up very hard. I also used it on the ESL-0.5 speakers, something like 7-8 layers of it.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

8 coats is pretty close to what I used... A very nice finish ! Mr. Green
beun

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't posted in a while, as I have been busy but I did make some progress. To start with I cleaned out the garage to make room and put some stuff up on craigslist.

I bought another board for the remainder of the beams and the base and am almost finished with the veneer sample board. One side looks really good, the other needs a few more coats.

I finished the simulations for the variable HV-supply and I should be able to post some schematics soon, the supply will be variable between about 1800V and 3500V.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made some more progress today, I just cut all the remaining support beams and the pieces for the base. Now I have to draw and route the front curve on the bases

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made some pictures of the veneer samples this morning, I will post them tonight. They really don't do justice to the end result. It looks a lot better in real life. Tonight I will also make some sample metal side strips in brushed look and black look. I will then be able to ship the samples for customer review this week.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here the promised pictures of the veneer samples. You have to believe me, they look way better in real life than they do in the pictures.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attached the schematic of the first iteration of the variable high-voltage supply. The high voltage output is variable between about 1.8kV and 3.5kV.

HV_VAR.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  HV_VAR.pdf
 Filesize:  30.43 KB
 Downloaded:  784 Time(s)

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Beun, would you be interested in building the PS for sale? I can do it but I have a time problem.

Your project is looking great BTW! I figure I'll have time to get going on mine sometime near the middle to end of summer.

As an aside, my wife walked past while I was reading this thread and saw your kitchen and countertops...I'm screwed now thank you very much! She loves yours and wants me to remodel our kitchen. Evil or Very Mad I had her all 'comfortable' with the nice country look of doorless cabinets and faux rock Formica countertops and now...poof!...all un-done. LMAO Seriously though.....you suck. Mr. Green Wink

"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care!" --Jimmy Buffett
beun

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg,

Sure, I don't see that as a problem, I have to buy four boards anyway so I will have two left, they can be yours at cost of parts plus a little bit extra.

I am sorry for your plight and apologize for our kitchen. When we bought the house I made a deal with the wife that she could do all the interior decorating (I got to do the media room) and this is what it leads to, it's disgusting. Very Happy

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXCELLENT! Let me know more about the boards via PM. Thumbs Up

"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care!" --Jimmy Buffett
beun

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just managed to order the step-up transformers this morning, the 1:75 Plitron model. Of cause the credit card "fraud protection" kicked in so it cost me an additional 30min on the phone to clear that up.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beun wrote:
I just managed to order the step-up transformers this morning, the 1:75 Plitron model. Of cause the credit card "fraud protection" kicked in so it cost me an additional 30min on the phone to clear that up.

Beun is the power supply sort of set and forget due to the spacing of the elements for optimal sound reproduction ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Crescendo-Systems Products All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 3 of 14
Jump to: